Is Mayweather jr the most technically skilled boxer of all time?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He was an amazingly sharp, one punch type of guy. Blazingly fast. On par with Amir Khan. I hail from a traditional martial arts background, and he's faster than most of those guys. I also think his style is closer to TMA than any other boxer.

If Mayweather jr is not the most technically skilled boxer, who is?

Last edited:
Also, can you guys who followed him more closely tell me when his major injuries to his hands occured? When did Floyd punch the hardest? And when did it start to deteriorate?

Also, can you guys who followed him more closely tell me when his major injuries to his hands occured? When did Floyd punch the hardest? And when did it start to deteriorate?
I remember him hurting both hands against Carlos Hernandez. Then I believe hurt them in back to back fights with Judah and Baldomir

I remember him hurting both hands against Carlos Hernandez. Then I believe hurt them in back to back fights with Judah and Baldomir

Did it affect his power from there on end or was he never really a hard puncher?

Did it affect his power from there on end or was he never really a hard puncher?
He was getting KO wins earlier in his career at the lower weight classes. But the hand issues did effect his fighting style along with moving up in weight classes. It was probably a combination of brittle hands and the higher weight classes. There's a misconception that he was pillow-fisted, but he hit opponents with enough power to stop them in their tracks and force them to reset. The last real KO he had was against Hatton, which was the combination of a perfect timed counter and Hatton literally running into the punch. The Ortiz KO had the obvious circumstances behind it and the Mac KO was against a guy making his pro debut.

He was getting KO wins earlier in his career at the lower weight classes. But the hand issues did effect his fighting style along with moving up in weight classes. It was probably a combination of brittle hands and the higher weight classes. There's a misconception that he was pillow-fisted, but he hit opponents with enough power to stop them in their tracks and force them to reset. The last real KO he had was against Hatton, which was the combination of a perfect timed counter and Hatton literally running into the punch. The Ortiz KO had the obvious circumstances behind it and the Mac KO was against a guy making his pro debut.

Funny actually, the Ortiz KO looked really hard. I wonder why he never did that more! He seems to have it in him.

He's was an amazingly sharp, one punch type of guy. Blazingly fast. On par with Amir Khan. I hail from a traditional martial arts background, and he's faster than most of those guys. I also think his style is closer to TMA than any other boxer.

If Mayweather jr is not the most technically skilled boxer, who is?
Ricardo López immediately comes to mind.

He had hand problems early on. The "KD" he suffered in '01 against Hernandez* was due to pain in his hand from landing a punch. He adapted really well though so I don't think it hurts his standing at all but he was a good finisher at LW.

Last edited:
He had hand problems early on. The "KD" he suffered in '01 against Chavez was due to pain in his hand from landing a punch. He adapted really well though so I don't think it hurts his standing at all but he was a good finisher at LW.

Weak bone structure or freak accidents?

Funny actually, the Ortiz KO looked really hard. I wonder why he never did that more! He seems to have it in him.
Most guys don't stand there talking to the ref while they should be protecting themselves. :D

Just watch Corrales, and you will find your answer is yes. In addition to hand injuries, he moved up in weight in an era where you dont fight 12-15 fights per year against absolute scrubs. He defeated top guys at multiple weights, over a couple decades, and never lost.

There was nothing Floyd didn't do in the ring. He had all the tools but most importantly, the has the best ring IQ I ever saw. No one ever REALLY took Floyd off his game for more than a round or two.

A lot of MMA guys in my country didn't believe Mayweather could KO Conor, and that a disaster was in the making because a decision win would be an embarassement to boxing... I told them that Floyd would win EXACTLY the way he did - TKO, accumulation of punches.

There was nothing Floyd didn't do in the ring. He had all the tools but most importantly, the has the best ring IQ I ever saw. No one ever REALLY took Floyd off his game for more than a round or two.

The way he played with Pacman round after round. Looked like two different classes of boxers

Merchant was a well known hater, but he does have a point...

Back