Is Mayweather jr the most technically skilled boxer of all time?

But he got schooled by Lomachenko and that never happened to Floyd even outside his prime.
What opponent of Floyd would you say had a similarity to the Loma-Rigo fight? Floyd being at the end of his prime and fighting a much bigger phenom in his prime?

But he got schooled by Lomachenko and that never happened to Floyd even outside his prime.

Mayweather never faced anyone as good as Lomachenko in his career. Especially not at the age of 37, and definitely not someone two weight classes above.

When Mayweather got into his mid to late 30s, he was fighting flat footed fighters who had big names. Basically easy opponents.

Boxing politics ruined Rigo, and he basically had to fight a bigger, stronger and younger opponent two weight classes above.

Last edited:
What about Canelo? Floyd was old, Canelo is a couple weight classes above easy in reality, and he was a young phenom and is, right? And Floyd schooled Saul, really. Put on a clinic in that one.

What about Canelo? Floyd was old, Canelo is a couple weight classes above easy in reality, and he was a young phenom and is, right? And Floyd schooled Saul, really. Put on a clinic in that one.

Flat footed and 23 years old... Not like facing a 29 year old in his prime who moves well and is two weight classes bigger.

Flat footed and 23 years old... Not like facing a 29 year old in his prime who moves well and is two weight classes bigger.

Don't think I'm a Rigo hater, he was special. I was just making a point. To be honest with you, I'm a big Floyd fan and thought maybe that was a bit much to bite off when he took on Canelo. Young, good boxer, pop in his hands, hungry. Floyd was very special.

Rigo was at a bit more of a disadvantage probably due more to the style matchups, and Canelo did have to meet at a catchweight as well as maybe getting some credit for having improved since then, but it was probably Floyd's best fight after his comeback.

To me, there is no doubt Floyd has the highest ring IQ. However, who do you think is technically skilled between Floyd and Sugar Ray Leonard?

Lenard had trouble with inside counter punchers and that's why Roberto Duran gave him hell and that's why Lenard wouldn't fight Haglar on the inside, for some reason Sugar didn't like inside counter punchers, bu i think Angelo Dundee was trying to teach Ray how to beat a great inside counter puncher and told him to fight Durant on the inside and try to counter punch him, but when that failed Lenard went back to using his legs, but sometimes didn't even try to throw and due damage himself, to someone else, just watch Duran vs Sugar 3 and see nobody was landing anything at all.

Floyd was a all around complete fighter style wise and trained like a beast, even with 3 different sparring partners for a hour without himself getting a rest or just resting for water and that's it.

James Toney comes close skills wise and maybe was better at certain things Floyd was, but Toney didn't like quick footed fighters like Rroy Jones who threw punches at different angels and rushed him, also Toney had his weight problems and conditioning problems, but skills wise he's actually as close to Floyd as anybody.

Then there's Whitaker who's simply the best southpaw anyone has ever seen and skills wise even with Floyd but had better footwork, while Floyd used quick footwork, jumping back while making someone miss, Whitaker used turning opponents and standing right in front of someone and making them miss 12 punches, then laughing at them while landing 6 power head and body punches, then turning them and stepping over while they try to hit Whitaker with 12 more punches and the only reason Whitaker lost to Trinidad was Cocaine use and it was found in his system when he fought Trinidad.

But Floyd was the superior boxer of anyone in the history of boxing, but Whitaker is number 2 behind Floyd on my list and Toney number 3, of all time greatest skills in boxing history with Andre Ward number 4

Yeah, some think Floyd won all rounds

Floyd is great but his careered is tainted by his bureaucracy.

He bullied younger, poorer fighters with his leverage, wealth and power.

What opponent of Floyd would you say had a similarity to the Loma-Rigo fight? Floyd being at the end of his prime and fighting a much bigger phenom in his prime?
The only case I can think of is Canelo. But on reflection Canelo wasn't for most people the heavy favourite going into that fight and it was considered before his prime. Come to think of it Floyd never really fought anyone during his entire career where he was a big underdog. And that's my biggest criticism of Mayweather, he never took on a true monumental challenge where no one thought he could win.

The only case I can think of is Canelo. But on reflection Canelo wasn't for most people the heavy favourite going into that fight and it was considered before his prime. Come to think of it Floyd never really fought anyone during his entire career where he was a big underdog. And that's my biggest criticism of Mayweather, he never took on a true monumental challenge where no one thought he could win.
Yes, I agree, but most seem to ignore that when saying he's the GOAT. Going into that fight I don't think he was expected to do any better than Cotto and some were calling on him to wait to get more experience.

Hes in the argument when talking about defensive point scorers. There is more to technical boxing than that though and there are other great fighters who were just as good going forward as they were going backwards.

I cant imagine a scenario where Floyd out points Ray Leonard for example.

Back