Is Mikey Garcia the best at 140?

Kassitus

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
This of course considers Crawford as a welterweight. Boxrec algorithm has Garcia as the best 140 guy. Is this true? Would he beats guys like Indongo?

140 is kinda bereft of talent, so I'd be inclined to say yes.

Other than Mikey, I'd say Postol and Indongo are the best at 140. Lipinets is ok, but nothing to write home about. Taylor seems ot have some talent and Prograis might just be special.

IMO Garcia and Postol are tied for the best at 140 w/o Crawford at the moment. I'm a Mikey fan but I think he needs a few more wins in the division to be considered the best at 140

Have any of y'all never heard of Eduard Troyanovsky?

Troyanovsky was 25-0 and won almost every single fight by KO, before that shock knockout at the hands of Indongo. Indongo isn't top 5 on any of the rankings, after he lost the belt they demoted him straight to Top 10.

IMO Garcia and Postol are tied for the best at 140 w/o Crawford at the moment. I'm a Mikey fan but I think he needs a few more wins in the division to be considered the best at 140
Agreed. I too like Mikey, but he needs to build off that good broner win with a couple key names. Idk if the man he is facing next will do it for him. I’d love to see Mikey vs Crawford in the future. I’d like to see loma in the mix as well, though I’d hate it at the same time because Mikey and loma are two of my favorites.

Agreed. I too like Mikey, but he needs to build off that good broner win with a couple key names. Idk if the man he is facing next will do it for him. I’d love to see Mikey vs Crawford in the future. I’d like to see loma in the mix as well, though I’d hate it at the same time because Mikey and loma are two of my favorites.
Yeah 140 is a lot more interesting with Mikey and Loma in the mix

Loma will never move to 140. He'll top out at 135. And Mikey might be the best 140 lber,...but 140 is a backwater division, no talent. Like being the tallest midget.

Troyanovsky was 25-0 and won almost every single fight by KO, before that shock knockout at the hands of Indongo. Indongo isn't top 5 on any of the rankings, after he lost the belt they demoted him straight to Top 10.

Troyanovksy never left his zip code in Moscow. He was a paper champion. 140 division was terrible terrible filled with fake champions + Bud Crawford

Postol is much bigger than Garcia, that would be a relatively tough fight for him probably just for that reason. He would probably win though.

He really should be at 135, clearing out the division and then fighting Loma.

Troyanovksy never left his zip code in Moscow. He was a paper champion. 140 division was terrible terrible filled with fake champions + Bud Crawford

I ain't saying he's the best fighter but he was a top fighter in that pool and he still has KO power. He's in the same league as Indongo and the British guy Indongo beat. Even if that guy had a few more notable names.

Look at the rankings right now, how many of them do you recognize, or the names on their resumes? They're all Troyanovsky caliber fighters. This division hasn't had notable names since all the big names moved up to WW.

And if you didn't notice Crawford moved up too, so he's not in the conversation anymore. Its Troyanovsky and the rest now. And in this class i see Troy pretty highly.

I ain't saying he's the best fighter but he was a top fighter in that pool and he still has KO power. He's in the same league as Indongo and the British guy Indongo beat. Even if that guy had a few more notable names.

Look at the rankings right now, how many of them do you recognize, or the names on their resumes? They're all Troyanovsky caliber fighters. This division hasn't had notable names since all the big names moved up to WW.

And if you didn't notice Crawford moved up too, so he's not in the conversation anymore. Its Troyanovsky and the rest now. And in this class i see Troy pretty highly.

I know Crawford moved up, thats the whole point of debating whether Mikey is the best at 140.

Troyanovsky sucks man. Lipnets, Kondo, Prograis, Postol....are all better than him at 140, as is Mikey. He's terrible. Ricky Burns was dogshit too. It just shows you how bad 140 was that both those guys had titles.

I know Crawford moved up, thats the whole point of debating whether Mikey is the best at 140.

Troyanovsky sucks man. Lipnets, Kondo, Prograis, Postol....are all better than him at 140, as is Mikey. He's terrible. Ricky Burns was dogshit too. It just shows you how bad 140 was that both those guys had titles.

Those are all good fighters. But how that make Troy the one who sucks? None of the others have a strong resume yet. Once it turns into some sort of Kell Brook like situation where Troy's the one fighting bums but the others fighting legit competition, i'll 100% be with you.

Its going to take at least 2 years to figure out who are the top dogs at this division. Its completely fresh right now.

He's almost 40 and he never fought anyone who was worth a damn (arguably until Indongo who cold-cocked him, but we don't even really know how good Indongo is outside of his performances against a washed up Burns and getting destroyed by Crawford). He looked like a half decent fighter against garbage opposition, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that Garcia is better than he ever was.

The Ring has Troyanovsky (#6) ahead of Lipinets (#7) in their rankings btw. Kondo not even ranked. @JayE Mike Garcia IS the best in the division right now, I never said otherwise.

Eduard Troyanovsky expected to face the winner of Rances Barthelemy and Kiryl Relikh for the WBA Light Welterweight title.

'I'll face Barthelemy-Relikh winner for WBA title’ - Former world champion Troyanovsky
https://www.rt.com/sport/413198-wba-title-barthelemy-relikh-troyanovsky/

Back