Is Overeem ever going to be UFC champion?

He beat JDS, Hunt, Roy, Arlovski... he's just also very prone to getting KTFO!

I think his win over jds was his best, he impressed me a lot. I for sure had him getting knocked out cold in that fight.

If he stays active, he can get another shot.

He should retire though, he's taken some really hard shots at HW..

He's going to be entering zombie territory in a few fights if he's not careful.

Nope. That window has closed.
Never say never:

maxresdefault.jpg

Ngannou knocks Stipe out; Werdum chokes Ngannou; Overeem outpoints Werdum. In MMA, anything can happen - and at HW MMA, the likelihood of the unexpected is increased even more. I think Ngannou is just a bad match up for Overeem, but there are still a litany of questions about Ngannou.

After Stipe and Ngannou the field is wide open. I think Cain Velasquez is on the verge of a title shot.

Bisping was like this until he broke through. It is possibly but with Stipe and Ngannou arount it doesnt look likely.

Before Overeem even came into the UFC and he was a "shoe in" to be UFC champ.I was very vocal that I didn't think it would happen,and I still don't think it'll happen but I wouldn't had been surprised if he was able to do it before.That possibility is quite low now,so I doubt it but it's possible.

No. He totally blew his chances against Stipe and Ngannou. When he fights guys like that, who are younger and less damaged than he his, his fight IQ seems to go out the window. He knows he's always one punch or kick away from consciousness with his chin.

The "Econoreem" routine worked against guys who were older/slower than he is: Nelson, Mir, Hunt, etc. It almost failed against Werdum, and I think he was a bit lucky against JDS. That was JDS' worst fight ever--I still don't know why JDS didn't attack Overeem when he was briefly hurt and his back was against the cage. Prime JDS would've annihilated Overeem in that position.

I think when N'gannou wins that title, you're gonna be looking at the actual Mike Tyson of MMA. I don't see him loosing it for a long time.

Overeem's best chance was beating Stipe when they fought.

Tyson was 20 years old when he won a HW title so no, we won't be.

I mean he never wins the big fight.

I don't think he will ever be champion at this point. The issue for Overeem he never beats the top guys at the right time. He's a champion level fighter who is capable of beating champions....Lesnar, JDS, Werdum who were all champs in the past few years. Its funny cause he's beating the top guys.....but his issues are vs the level below like Bigfoot, Browne, Rothwell, and Nganou (well Francis has title shot but prior to Reem he KOd AA and a few no names). Usually its the other way around.

Well if UFC lose their mind and get rid of USADA he will run through the division.

I do believe he was the best hw in the world at one point. If Reem was in the UFC while Lesnar and Randy were champs he would have been king

but he's far from it now.

Back