Is poverty a problem in the US?

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
As a late 20th-early 21th century western European boy, I grew up learning that America in superpowerful, super-ritch and is the land of great opportunities. Still, I often hear poverty is a major issue, especially amongst minorities.
Living in the US do you recognize poverty as being a problem, do you see it in your everyday lives or is it a limited phenomenon restricted to certain "bad" areas?

As a late 20th-early 21th century western European boy, I grew up learning that America in superpowerful, super-ritch and is the land of great opportunities. Still, I often hear poverty is a major issue, especially amongst minorities.
Living in the US do you recognize poverty as being a problem, do you see it in your everyday lives or is it a limited phenomenon restricted to certain "bad" areas?

We keep our poor hidden in bad areas or projects. We do provide them with welfare and lots of other perks that come out of our taxes. Sometimes they do drift into our areas, but we make them feel uncomfortable or call the cops and they go back home.

Given how much power, influence and money our country wields, yes, poverty is an issue. I won't go all war room, but to summarize, over half of our country are uneducated, unenlightened buffoons who continually elect corrupt scum to political office for misplaced reasons, and thus our rights are continually trampled on by an administration who basically sucks corporate dick and would rather give tax breaks to toxic polluters than tackle affordable, collectively-bargained health care and education.

We keep our poor hidden in bad areas or projects. We do provide them with welfare and lots of other perks that come out of our taxes. Sometimes they do drift into our areas, but we make them feel uncomfortable or call the cops and they go back home.

I just swing a broom at them while screaming and rolling my eyes back in my head.

Too many government handouts for there to be any true poverty. Most poor people have just made stupid decisions in life.

Dude you can do a free course with a high school degree like http://www.freecodecamp.com and make like $80,000 . Poverty is a personal choice.

The only way to take poor Americans out of poverty is to take away all their freedom and force them to make good decisions or just give them tons of free shit. In America, people are poor because they want to be. They're poor because of things inside themselves, not circumstances outside their control.

Just utter LOL at your belief that completing freecodecamp is going to miraculously land you a nearly 6 figure job. Good lord... And I do respect that site. I actually donate to them as I think it's a great resource.

Also, your judgemental notion of poverty as a choice. Really sad and naive.

Too many government handouts for there to be any true poverty. Most poor people have just made stupid decisions in life.

The ideas of an idiot right here.

PS. You basically have to be homeless to actually qualify for "government handouts," as you phrased with such superiority. No one is "living it up" off of food stamps.

Of course it's a problem.
The Great Recession was not a fairy tale.
Millions of people lost their homes and businesses.
Most people have recovered, but many others have not.

Last edited:
The ideas of an idiot right here.

PS. You basically have to be homeless to actually qualify for "government handouts," as you phrased with such superiority. No one is "living it up" off of food stamps.
You're a fool. I know tons of people who get assistance that are far from homeless. Do you live under a fucking rock? Some people are so damn gullible.

Poverty in America is brutal, violent and solvable. American policy makers are scandalous and brazenly greedy.

Dude you can do a free course with a high school degree like http://www.freecodecamp.com and make like $80,000 . Poverty is a personal choice.

The only way to take poor Americans out of poverty is to take away all their freedom and force them to make good decisions or just give them tons of free shit. In America, people are poor because they want to be. They're poor because of things inside themselves, not circumstances outside their control.

Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers or viewers as a sincere expression of the parodied views

Poor people are disgusting and lazy.

Don’t do crack,meth or any hard drug and you won’t be poor.

Let me put it this way. Out poor are overweight, have air conditioning, television, and free gold plated healthcare (medicaid ).

The soulless land of extremes.

Nah, after World War 2, tons of middle class towns were built, and the majority of Americans live in the middle class. Home ownership is pretty doable.

Back