Is poverty a problem in the US?

Poor people are disgusting and lazy.

A few months back ago I was going to my Alma Mater, UCLA. The exit for the school is Sunset, and the nicer side of Sunset, borders Brentwood and Bel-Air. So, I was at the res light to make the left and there was a “bum” there, probably late 20’s or early 30’s(not sure what the age median is for bums) and he had a sign asking for money. This so-called bum had a cell phone, which he got a call and he was complaining about how much it would cost for him to have his car fixed. I couldn’t help to have a giant smirk on my face.

poverty is a problem anywhere it exists.

and it exists everywhere.

Given how much power, influence and money our country wields, yes, poverty is an issue. I won't go all war room, but to summarize, over half of our country are uneducated, unenlightened buffoons who continually elect corrupt scum to political office for misplaced reasons, and thus our rights are continually trampled on by an administration who basically sucks corporate dick and would rather give tax breaks to toxic polluters than tackle affordable, collectively-bargained health care and education.

Where’a that Jeff Goldblum gif where he says “well, there it is”? That is needed.

Additionally, there are quite a few homeless in the US. Many are just insane and need medical treatment.

Too many government handouts for there to be any true poverty. Most poor people have just made stupid decisions in life.

True.. even the poor people in the US have it way better than poor people in most other countries.

I've been temporarily homeless before from just driving to the other side of the country for fun. Before I found a job and a place to live, the boredom was brutal. There was nothing to do but sit in my car all day trying to pretend to not be homeless or sit at the library watching cat videos for 10 hours.

There's no reason that homeless people can't spend that time learning to program instead. They'd be not homeless and making $80,000 in 6 months.

They choose to get drunk instead. Their poverty is a choice.

Where are there entry level programming jobs for $160,000/year?
A quick search results in jobs requiring 3 to 5 years experience that pay $25 to $30 per hour. On a 40 hour week that would be $60,000 per year. Many require relocation to cities where the cost of living is very high.

As a late 20th-early 21th century western European boy, I grew up learning that America in superpowerful, super-ritch and is the land of great opportunities. Still, I often hear poverty is a major issue, especially amongst minorities.
Living in the US do you recognize poverty as being a problem, do you see it in your everyday lives or is it a limited phenomenon restricted to certain "bad" areas?

there is poverty all throughout the country. but only in specific areas of towns and cities and rural areas. but it's not something you'll come across often, unless you walk around the rougher areas.

Entry level programming jobs in San Francisco and often New York City are $80,000-$100,000 man. And these people are supposedly used to living homeless. So, I'm sure the cost of living won't be too much of a hindrance.

I can find $500 - $700 rent (10 housemates in the ghetto or living in a dorm room with bunkbeds elsewhere) and cook my own food for $3 a day (boil 1 lb chicken, 1 cup rice, 1 lb vegetables) in San Francisco. Same in NYC. Even in San Francisco or New York City, you can keep your monthly budget under $1000 and save up $40,000-$50,000 a year on that salary.

Poverty is a choice in America.
lol you think you can get those entry level jobs by taking an online course after 6 months? You're delusional. Unless you have a 4 year computer science degree from a top tier school with internships under your belt you can never get an entry level job like that.

Entry level programming jobs in San Francisco and often New York City are $80,000 man. And these people are supposedly used to living homeless. So, I'm sure the cost of living won't be too much of a hindrance.

I can find $500 - $700 rent (10 housemates in the ghetto or living in a dorm room with bunkbeds elsewhere) and cook my own food for $3 a day (boil 1 lb chicken, 1 cup rice, 1 lb vegetables) in San Francisco. Same in NYC. Even in San Francisco or New York City, you can keep your monthly budget under $1000 and save up $40,000-$50,000 a year on that salary.

Poverty is a choice in America.

I see some listed but they don't have any salary in the description. The recruiting service lists "Typical pay for this type of work" from Payscale and Glassdoor at 80 to 135 and 65 to 113. We all know they would never exaggerate those figures. ;)

$80k programming jobs in San Francisco with only 6 months of training? Are some of you for real? My high school friend did a 4 year computer engineering degree and he started at $65k. He hasn't even hit $80k yet after 3 years of working in San Francisco.

The delusion is strong with that one. I am an operations manager with a large security firm, and I don't make $80k even with bonuses. I actually have a bachelor's degree and 4 years of management experience. To suggest a person can start from zero to making that much suggest a lack of awareness of the actual job market.

Last edited:
The ideas of an idiot right here.

PS. You basically have to be homeless to actually qualify for "government handouts," as you phrased with such superiority. No one is "living it up" off of food stamps.
Uh, that's not true. My cousins a barber, makes great money, enough to support his family easily, but his wife gets $700 a month in food stamps.

They eat steak at least 3 or 4 nights a week.

Uh, that's not true. My cousins a barber, makes great money, enough to support his family easily, but his wife gets $700 a month in food stamps.

They eat steak at least 3 or 4 nights a week.

That makes no sense and I can't really make a conclusion from some brief anecdotal reference to "a guy I know." I know how some of these systems operate, and much like college grants they are distributions made based on a calculation determined from one's income and living expenses. My point is that one must be heavily into the red to qualify.

Im pretty poor but I manage to have an apartment, a job, and I don't use any assistance from the government.

I think it would be alot easier in a different town. Rent is getting way too expensive and takes up half my check. My apartment costs me $1300, and 5 years ago the same apartment would rent for $750.

That makes no sense and I can't really make a conclusion from some brief anecdotal reference to "a guy I know." I know how some of these systems operate, and much like college grants they are distributions made based on a calculation determined from one's income and living expenses. My point is that one must be heavily into the red to qualify.
And my point is that these systems aren't foul proof in the least, and there are thousands, probably hundreds of thousands, that are gaming the system.

And it's not "a guy I know", he's my cousin and we've been close since being children. I don't have an agenda and couldn't really care less how much this country spends on welfare/food stamps, but my point is, no, not everyone who receives government assistance needs it.

i live in the poorest state in the country, West Virginia, so yes poverty is a problem. i can only speak for people here but more of a problem than being poor is drugs, obesity, mental illness, etc.

Poverty is an issue in the United States but it's self induced most often. Outside of mental jllness most people who are homeless is due to drugs.

Children again are effected most often due to drugs. There are so many programs In the USA that If you're sober you will have no problem finding food and shelter.

I got a chance to travel to southeast Asia and witness true poverty where people can't even afford cigarettes, running water and toilets are considered luxury... That is true poverty. In comparison the poorest in America would be considered rich compared to those standards.

Im pretty poor but I manage to have an apartment, a job, and I don't use any assistance from the government.

I think it would be alot easier in a different town. Rent is getting way too expensive and takes up half my check. My apartment costs me $1300, and 5 years ago the same apartment would rent for $750.

If you're paying $1300 a month for rent then I don't think you qualify as being "pretty poor."

My apartment is $490.

He lives in an actual apartment, you like in a matchbox.

That's pretty true, though $1300 is still a lot. That's like a mortgage on a fucking house. Even when I lived in full-fledged apartments, the rent was never over a thousand dollars.

But my point stands: If you're able to afford that much in rent then you're not poor.

If you're paying $1300 a month for rent then I don't think you qualify as being "pretty poor."

My apartment is $490.
That's just the cost of living in the city. You can't find an apartment here for under 1,000.

Im' constantly having to borrow money and never have money for groceries. Trust me I'm poor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back