Is Ross Enamait the Holy Grail of Strength & Conditioning?

I'm pretty sure a lot of people could whip someone into shape.. but he's not really practicing what he's preaching..

I'm genuinely curious why people care about this. If the coach has a positive track record with athletes, is results-driven, and knows their stuff, then why would anyone care?

If I get my cholesterol checked, I don't need to go "Whoa doc, what's your LDL's?" I don't ask to see my dentist's teeth or my mechanic's ride before they do work - if they're qualified and knowledgeable then we're good.

I've coached a lot of kids that are so far beyond my abilities. Should I not work with them?

I'm genuinely curious why people care about this. If the coach has a positive track record with athletes, is results-driven, and knows their stuff, then why would anyone care?

If I get my cholesterol checked, I don't need to go "Whoa doc, what's your LDL's?" I don't ask to see my dentist's teeth or my mechanic's ride before they do work - if they're qualified and knowledgeable then we're good.

I've coached a lot of kids that are so far beyond my abilities. Should I not work with them?

I think there's just a bit of ambiguity in the thread between "best individual exemplar of high-level strength and conditioning" and "best S&C coach".

Read the rest of the board. Or the internet in general.

This question then answers itself.

I don't know if Ross is the best but he's on of my favorites for sure. I like his no nonsense, no complaining attitude. I learned a lot about skipping, sandbags and body weight training from his stuff and I still use a lot of it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people could whip someone into shape.. but he's not really practicing what he's preaching..

Well you're talking about a 75 year old man. So I don't know why you'd even say that.

He is a beast for sure..

Also people might consider his age when comparing him to people like Froning who are a lot younger

Best to what? It doesn't matter. The dude walks the walk, and talks the talk. As far as CF that is apples and oranges to what his focus is. As I read posts here it's one goals that dictate what they do as much as their interests.

Interesting thread.
I would like to get some opinions on the following.

So Marinovich, Nick Curson type of training is perfect for developing athletes' speed, cardio and explosiveness for their specific sports, and Ross Enamait is perfect to get in very good shape and strong.
Both are good but Marinovich is sport specific. Would you agree?

Interesting thread.

So Marinovich, Nick Curson type of training is perfect for developing athletes' speed, cardio and explosiveness for their specific sports, and Ross Enamait is perfect to get in very good shape and strong.

Ross trains differently to how he trains his athletes as he doesn't compete in a sport.

He doesn't train all his athletes the same way and depends on lots of things (for example how often they are sparring that week). It depends on the athletes needs. He training is very specific for their sport. In his books he also has a lot of speed and explosive work in it.

Last edited:
Interesting thread.

If you want to up your athleticism, then Marinovich is your choice.

Thank you for your reply @ripskater and cjadams

Ross is just a perfect example of what happens when you train hard, frequently, and for years on end. He's a paragon for hard work and consistency.

Dude I ain't letting no snaggle tooth dentist near my teeth and no fattie is going to lecture me on nutrition and discipline.

Thai boxing, surfing and a little bit of bjj
But thai boxing is my passion

Yeah that stuff he does could really help you with all three.

The ball work and balance work would be phenomenal for you. The body control, core strength and mobility and balance would be very complimentary to those sports.

If you are not near anyone who does this, there is a book called ProBodX

I'm currently reading 2 of his books on conditioning.

Yeah that stuff he does could really help you with all three.

The ball work and balance work would be phenomenal for you. The body control, core strength and mobility and balance would be very complimentary to those sports.

If you are not near anyone who does this, there is a book called ProBodX

Hi Ripskater, thanks for your reply.

I done a lot of research on Marinovich, Nick Curson (Speed of Sport), Gavin MacMillan(Sports Science Lab) since watching RDS on UFC countdown with Nick Curson. Read and watched everything I could find on the net.

I made two pvc cylinders and two wooden foot discs for the foot work, and I have definitely seen an improvement in my foot strength. Still need to make the slant boards.

I dont have those round ball hand weights for the ball work, so i am thinking of 2kg dumbells or water filled water bottles.

I am also going to incorporate the pool work. So 3 times a week after muay thai I do the foot work with the two foot discs, the two pvc pipes. Ball work with stability ball, pool work. Mornings are Mon: sprints, Wed: tabata with kb Fri: 1hr beach run. I do a lot of joint mobility work as well.
Saturday is my only size and strength gym day

Hi Ripskater, thanks for your reply.

I done a lot of research on Marinovich, Nick Curson (Speed of Sport), Gavin MacMillan(Sports Science Lab) since watching RDS on UFC countdown with Nick Curson. Read and watched everything I could find on the net.

I made two pvc cylinders and two wooden foot discs for the foot work, and I have definitely seen an improvement in my foot strength. Still need to make the slant boards.

I dont have those round ball hand weights for the ball work, so i am thinking of 2kg dumbells or water filled water bottles.

I am also going to incorporate the pool work. So 3 times a week after muay thai I do the foot work with the two foot discs, the two pvc pipes. Ball work with stability ball, pool work. Mornings are Mon: sprints, Wed: tabata with kb Fri: 1hr beach run. I do a lot of joint mobility work as well.
Saturday is my only size and strength gym day

That sounds great daks! If you can ever make it to learn the ball and balance routine from someone trained, that would be good. The training bells are nice to have for some exercises in the book ProBodx. OR you can use 2-4 lb ankle weights. Send me a personal message if you have questions.

I'm a mod on Ross's forum, so of course I think he's great as a trainer and source of inspiration. The main problem with Ross's S&C approach is an under emphasis on development if aerobic base. He's started before he expects this to come from sparring or mitt work or the old classic am roadwork, but the reality is that many people training without an S&C coach read his stuff then go all in and leave the cardio behind. This is a recipe for being overly reliant on anaerobic energy systems. I hope he fixes this in new editions of his work.

Back