Is Ryan Phillippe underrated?

I think he is.

He had a very good run in the late 90s and early 00s. 54, Cruel Intentions, Way of the Gun, Antitrust, Gosford Park, Crash. . . That's a fucking solid list of films.

While he's had some solid roles since Crash, he's definitely taken a step down and you never really hear anyone talk abut him anymore.

I do know that he has a new show on USA called Shooter, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Way of the Gun in particular is one of the my favorite movies of all time and it also has one of THE absolute best fucking opening scenes in any movie . . . ever!

What do you guys think about Ryan Phillippe? Underrated actor who should be getting higher profile roles or merely competent B-lister who was lucky to land the big roles that he did?

Shooter trailer:

He's a VERY pretty boy:

ryan-phillippe.jpg

No homo.

And by that I mean he's kinda like those super good looking actresses that can't get good roles cos they're only seen as a pretty face.

I think he had potential but he just got lost in the mix of so many other great, more rugged and gritty looking actors. And I think his looks do hinder him strangely.

But he could have a career resurgence as he gets older and becomes more rugged; alot of male actors peak in terms of their career as they get older, so no reason why he can't explode in years to come.

And by that I mean he's kinda like those super good looking actresses that can't get good roles cos they're only seen as a pretty face.

I think he had potential but he just got lost in the mix of so many other great, more rugged and gritty looking actors. And I think his looks do hinder him strangely.

It's interesting you bring that up.

He approached Chris McQuarrie about being in Way of the Gun when McQ was trying to get that project off the ground. McQ thought he was all wrong for the part. Too pretty, like you say, and too boyish.

But Ryan wasn't taking no for an answer. He put on 25 lbs and grew out his facial hair in an attempt to transform himself and prove that he could play the role. It worked. McQ was impressed with his dedication and cast him. It was a good decision.

It's interesting you bring that up.

He approached Chris McQuarrie about being in Way of the Gun when McQ was trying to get that project off the ground. McQ thought he was all wrong for the part. Too pretty, like you say, and too boyish.

But Ryan wasn't taking no for an answer. He put on 25 lbs and grew out his facial hair in an attempt to transform himself and prove that he could play the role. It worked. McQ was impressed with his dedication and cast him. It was a good decision.

giphy.gif

Been meaning to watch Way Of The Gun for years, might finally do it over the next couple of days.

You know Shooter isn't half Bad, although he looks waaaaaay too Young to be Playing a Gunny.

shooter is a cool show and one of the few shows I still watch at the time it airs every week,shooter and GOT might be the only shows I don't watch later on dvr or netflix

Just watched the Shooter pilot. Seems like a pretty good show. I'll have to debate over whether I want to invest the time in catching up on a season-and-a-half of television, but I could see myself checking it out from week to week.

They cancel Graceland, and put a show based on Mark Wahlberg movie. I hate USA network.

He's a great guest on The Eric Andre Show. He's been on a couple of times and had a cut bit as well.

And here's his ex on the show.

Puts off too Gay a vibe for me. Kind of monotone too.

source.gif

giphy.gif

25k7lo3.jpg

WTF are the odds. When I read Ryan Phillipe I knew it was the guy from cruel intentions but for a minutes I thought maybe it was this guy and I do think this guy is underrated as an actor.

He's a great guest on The Eric Andre Show. He's been on a couple of times and had a cut bit as well.

And here's his ex on the show.

Oh dear, things have gotten so bad for Ryan he's lowering himself to being a punchline for this light brown, hack comedian. I remember crap comedy shows from the 90's doing Eric Andre's 'brand' of goofy comedy - weak sauce. I guess dumb, little Gen-Z kids will think this is fresh and original. Ryan deserves better than this.

He used to fuck Reese Witherspoon y'know.

Oh dear, things have gotten so bad for Ryan he's lowering himself to being a punchline for this light brown, hack comedian. I remember crap comedy shows from the 90's doing Eric Andre's 'brand' of goofy comedy - weak sauce. I guess dumb, little Gen-Z kids will think this is fresh and original. Ryan deserves better than this.

He used to fuck Reese Witherspoon y'know.

They are friends...

Back