Is Showtime pushing a progressive agenda?

The TS didn't describe anything ham-handed. He's just mad that one show has a white guy who isn't an admirable character. Imagine if minorities were that sensitive. They'd be freaking out constantly all day long. Like I said, it's similar to the way the 13-1 ratio of Republican to Democratic voices in MSM stories isn't enough. Imagine if Democrats were as sensitive about the MSM not catering to them.

Did you miss the part of the op were I wrote... "These things don't offend me or anything and I don't care if other people want to watch it, but it's just so painfully obvious what they are trying to do and it's cringey."

Showtime is crap imo. At least Starz has Blacks Sails, Ash vs Evil Dead, Spartagus, and Outlander which are pretty good.

When Dexter and Weeds are the best youve got, lol.

Only thing I noticed with Showtime is their show shameless made a joke about this one character thinking he was a girl. Four seasons later they added a trans character and some of the scenes seemed like just an educational scene about trans to try to make up for their prior joke about that group.

I thought the original "joke" about the boy raised to believe he was a girl was on-point and not-at-all inappropriate.

It's about a guy named Gus, from Sparta. He is very violent.

tenor.gif

eh, the thumbnail shows that it included toilet humor so I'm sure it'll be a hit.

I know a lot of Hollywood does, but their 2017 line up has been over the top.

Showtime has put out some great television series Dexter, Shameless, Dice, Weeds, Twin Peeks, etc... but their two newest shows White Famous and Smilf are awful. I don't consider my self a conservative, but these shows for one aren't funny and for two could probably be good if they weren't trying so hard to be progressive.

I watched the first episode of Smilf and it's about a Single mom with a mixed race toddler boy (who's part is actually played by twin girls) There are whole bunch of vagina jokes and one part they are talking about loose pussy's around kids. She masturbates to a picture of a picture of her ex's girlfriend. The one white guy character in the show is chubby, awkward, weak, and is unnecessarily shown naked and has a small dick. And at the end of the episode she reveals that she was raped by her father.

I only watched 1/2 of the first episode of white famous and it was basically trying to make fun of the fact that all white people are racist.These things don't offend me or anything and I don't care if other people want to watch it, but it's just so painfully obvious what they are trying to do and it's cringey.

I also just saw an ad for their new show called cartoon president. This could possibly be funny, but will probably be ruined by bad writing.

Yeah I'm bored from all that shit on tv. It's like every western led by a hard nosed bitch on Netflix or black men in Hollywood. It's hard to watch something else when almost all western are made that way. Same with anti manliness in Hollywood. You know most writers are limp wristed, raised by single moms or have low testosterone tests. Look at fucking action movies! Tonight I'm watching for a few more dollars.

Only thing I noticed with Showtime is their show shameless made a joke about this one character thinking he was a girl. Four seasons later they added a trans character and some of the scenes seemed like just an educational scene about trans to try to make up for their prior joke about that group.
LOL something similar with supernatural.

That Smilf actually sounds good if you take out your personal biases. I will have to check it out

Showtime has put out some great television series Dexter, Shameless, Dice, Weeds, Twin Peeks, etc... but their two newest shows White Famous and Smilf are awful. I don't consider my self a conservative, but these shows for one aren't funny and for two could probably be good if they weren't trying so hard to be progressive.

I watched the first episode of Smilf and it's about a Single mom with a mixed race toddler boy (who's part is actually played by twin girls) There are whole bunch of vagina jokes and one part they are talking about loose pussy's around kids. She masturbates to a picture of a picture of her ex's girlfriend. The one white guy character in the show is chubby, awkward, weak, and is unnecessarily shown naked and has a small dick. And at the end of the episode she reveals that she was raped by her father.

I only watched 1/2 of the first episode of white famous and it was basically trying to make fun of the fact that all white people are racist.These things don't offend me or anything and I don't care if other people want to watch it, but it's just so painfully obvious what they are trying to do and it's cringey.

I also just saw an ad for their new show called cartoon president. This could possibly be funny, but will probably be ruined by bad writing.

Weeds was incredibly progressive for it’s time. White widow starts dealing weed and marries a Mexican drug dealer. Not to mention her kids get in on the business.

Why would you think they are pushing an agenda. Is it possible that they are simply shows that they think people will watch?

Why would you think they are pushing an agenda. Is it possible that they are simply shows that they think people will watch?

It's not so much the content it's the way they are doing it. Shameless is progressive, but the characters are great and it's written well. Smilf and White famous are going over the top with in such an obvious fashion that it just comes off as cringey and transparent.

For example... Black Mirror usually features Women Leads, a diverse cast, and has some stories with progressive undertones, but the show is so fucking good that if that's what you're going to pick out of the whole thing you're probably an asshole.

Now take the new Star Wars movie. It has a diverse cast and strong female leads, but it's obvious the casting was done before the writing as it doesn't necessarily come off as being natural and comes and seems cookie cutter.

Last edited:
I thought the original "joke" about the boy raised to believe he was a girl was on-point and not-at-all inappropriate.

I wasn't necessarily saying it was inappropriate. Just that the two instances definitely seemed related.

Thanks for the heads up OP, will watch, looks funny.

It's not so much the content it's the way they are doing it. Shameless is progressive, but the characters are great and it's written well. Smilf and White famous are going over the top with in such an obvious fashion that it just comes off as cringey and transparent.

For example... Black Mirror usually features Women Leads, a diverse cast, and has some stories with progressive undertones, but the show is so fucking good that if that's what you're going to pick out of the whole thing you're probably an asshole.

Now take the new Star Wars movie. It has a diverse cast and strong female leads, but it's obvious the casting was done before the writing as it doesn't necessarily come off as being natural and comes and seems cookie cutter.

I don’t see it any more than I think Just off the Boat is pushing an immigration agenda or Blackish is pushing an agenda. They seem like shows, some better than others, that are writing for what people want to watch now. Much like the wave of vampire stuff and endless number of cop and medical shows. I just don’t think that Showtime is going to make shows they don’t think will be profitable just to push an agenda. That is not to say that these things never happen, one just needs to look at WW2 era government supported war films for an example.

I think that in order to be interesting writers play on the edge of normality. No one want to watch “A Dyay In The Life of an Average Guy.” Playing on the edge of social issues can feel progressive. The Jefferson’s is a good example from a previous time period in that it scandously showed a successful black businessman.

The responses to the OP is why a lot of sorta left people are tired of the movement. You guys have no reading comprehension

Who cares if the cast is all non white? I usually don't mind as long as it's not bad. I don't like it when like the OP said, they purposely make the only white guy a weiner. That's the same as having just one black person and they're a fool or a gangster. No one wants that.
TL/DR learn to read everyone

There is a strong push for this smut....

The Roseanne show is coming out again, this time her daughter Becky has a son who likes to dress up in girl clothes.

Freaking pathetic

These blm, lqbq, all day and night all they do is write letters and make phone calls demanding this.

Back