Is soccer the greatest sport?

Is soccer the greatest sport?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soccer sucks, but they do have the best post-goal celebrations, except for maybe hockey.

I'm watching the world cup right now and honestly I've never seen or felt an atmosphere like it is in a world cup soccer game. Do you think it's the greatest sport?

In what language does "greatest sport" translate to excited fan base?

Question is entirely subjective unless you give a set of metrics to judge with.

usa didn't make it the finals unlike iran, saudi arabia, peru etc

It's not the finals, it's the competition. USA didn't make it through the qualification process.

Imo American football is vastly superior and encourages the greatest athleticism. It's much more tactical with several levels to play.

A sport with that much flopping willnever be good let alone great.

I’m American so no.

Ooh you called it soccer.

Naughty.

I would say it is unquestionably the greatest sport, and I usually resist using the word greatest about anything.

I don't think this is subjective. It's a pure sport. Anyone in the world, rich or poor, can master it. All you need is a ball and a field. The closest thing North America has is basketball.

When the World Cup is on, it is. I love the romance of it, including the fact that it's a mix between great sides and rank amateurs. A tiny underdog nation like Iceland holding their own vs Argentina is magnificent to watch.

Last edited:
I personally enjoy watching American Football more, but even I can't deny Football as the greatest sport.

Of course and nothing comes close. That is why it is the biggest sport, because the most people like it.

Not surprised that idiots here think that this is a personal preference question, though.

The reason why football is so enthralling is because the currency - goals - are relatively rare and thus of a higher value than, say, a try in rugby union or points in basketball. It also helps that a lesser team (on paper) can win against the odds far more frequently than in the higher scoring sports.

And anyone who watched Spain vs Portugal last night HAS to be aware that football is a very special game.

I’m American so no.

Ooh you called it soccer.

Naughty.

"Soccer" was a recognized term in Britain in the first half of the twentieth century, but it wasn't widely used until after World War II, when it was in vogue (and interchangeable with "football" and other phrases like "soccer football") for a couple decades... In the 1980s, however, Brits began rejecting the term, as soccer became a more popular sport in the United States.

In recent decades, "The penetration of the game into American culture, measured by the use of the name 'soccer,' has led to backlash against the use of the word in Britain, where it was once considered an innocuous alternative to the word 'football".

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/06/why-we-call-soccer-soccer/372771/

So Americans aren't being naughty by calling it Soccer; calling it Soccer is considered naughty because that's what we Americans do...

Yes. And welcome to the greatest spectacle in the world. Enjoy it.

I would say it is unquestionably the greatest sport, and I usually resist using the word greatest about anything.

I don't think this is subjective. It's a pure sport. Anyone in the world, rich or poor, can master it. All you need is a ball and a field. The closest thing North America has is basketball.
Yeah ease of access is no measure of greatness, I mean thats like saying rock, paper, scissors is the best of all time because all you need is a hand.

Name one other sport that unites the world like football. There's nothing like it.

Yeah ease of access is no measure of greatness, I mean thats like saying rock, paper, scissors is the best of all time because all you need is a hand.

OK, so what's your pick for greatest game and what are your criteria?

OK, so what's your pick for greatest game and what are your criteria?
For me it is American Football, but it will be something different for other people it is subjective.

Of course and nothing comes close. That is why it is the biggest sport, because the most people like it.

Not surprised that idiots here think that this is a personal preference question, though.
Yes because calling people who disagree idiots really hammers that point.

IMO you'd have to be an idiot to believe that just because it's extremely accessible that it's the greatest.

Mcdonalds is accessible to pretty much everyone. Does mcdonalds have the best food in the world because everyone can afford it?

Back