Is soccer the greatest sport?

Is soccer the greatest sport?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
C-level marathon runners with C-level tapdancing footwork.

Yes because calling people who disagree idiots really hammers that point.

IMO you'd have to be an idiot to believe that just because it's extremely accessible that it's the greatest.

Mcdonalds is accessible to pretty much everyone. Does mcdonalds have the best food in the world because everyone can afford it?
I call the people idiots who think that the OP's question is about personal preference. It isn't.

So how can you exactly measure the greatness of a sport if the numbers of people who watch and play it don't count? Or the money that is involved in it (which obviously depends on how many people watch it). NFL is very accessible in Germany but still barely anyone watches it, but to be fair it is becoming more popular every year and is on very late or in the night (I like it, too).

Either you go by the numbers or it is simply impossible to answer, because without hard facts it just becomes "What is your favorite sport".

BTW: One could argue that the accessible point actually contributes to footy being the greatest sport. You don't need much to play it compared to hockey for example, which I love too...

----

Comparing sports to food, come on. ;)

I call the people idiots who think that the OP's question is about personal preference. It isn't.

So how can you exactly measure the greatness of a sport if the numbers of people who watch and play it don't count? Or the money that is involved in it (which obviously depends on how many people watch it). NFL is very accessible in Germany but still barely anyone watches it, but to be fair it is becoming more popular every year and is on very late or in the night (I like it, too).

Either you go by the numbers or it is simply impossible to answer, because without hard facts it just becomes "What is your favorite sport".

BTW: One could argue that the accessible point actually contributes to footy being the greatest sport. You don't need much to play it compared to hockey for example, which I love too...

----

Comparing sports to food, come on. ;)
First off my bad for misinterpreting your quote. I appologize for that. I have admitted in an earlier post that I agree it's the most popular sport. Without doubt it is. My point about accesibility refers to being able to play with a shirt, shorts, shoes and a ball. The game has become and is the most popular sport because of the numbers of people involved. That's a great thing but it doesn't automatically equate to being the greatest sport just because everyone can afford to play. American football may be in germany but it's accisibilty to play is certainly not the same as soccer in terms of cost alone.

I think the comparison to McDonald's is fair considering I'm speaking in terms of cost accessibility.

Cheers

"Soccer" was a recognized term in Britain in the first half of the twentieth century, but it wasn't widely used until after World War II, when it was in vogue (and interchangeable with "football" and other phrases like "soccer football") for a couple decades... In the 1980s, however, Brits began rejecting the term, as soccer became a more popular sport in the United States.

In recent decades, "The penetration of the game into American culture, measured by the use of the name 'soccer,' has led to backlash against the use of the word in Britain, where it was once considered an innocuous alternative to the word 'football".

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/06/why-we-call-soccer-soccer/372771/

So Americans aren't being naughty by calling it Soccer; calling it Soccer is considered naughty because that's what we Americans do...

Aussies and kiwis call it soccer too, sometimes we do in Ireland too...well certain parts

soccer athletes would dominate mma. be thankful they have their current jobs.

Some posters have already aluded to its popularity, etc. But from a technical point of view is quite special too.

Its a very unique sport, which forbids the use of that most human thing in the world: the hand; that alone set its apart and opens, thru the rabbit hole of that specific prohibition, an altogheter different dimension, a new universe. Since its played by eleven players in a free flowing format, and a minimal set of rules its posibilites are almost infinite.. Due to all this, its a very complex game that cannot be captured by numbers alone.
At the same time its simplicity is a great equalizer, get yourself ten warriors under one single idea and you can have a chance against anyone
. Add to all that the theatrical element: Diving, simulation, psychological warfare, drama, etc... and you got a world (of war) in itself: No wonder people of all cultures and conditions are enthralled by the spectacle. There is truly nothing like it. The King of Sports

Last edited:
It's just a bunch of people who weren't good enough to play real sports.

ngprqLZ.gif

cVKLo8s.gif

Nope.

Some posters have already aluded to its popularity, etc. But from a technical point of view is quite special too.

Its a very unique sport, which forbids the use of that most human thing in the world: the hand; that alone set its apart and opens, thru the rabbit hole of that specific prohibition, an altogheter different dimension, a new universe. Since its played by eleven players in a free flowing format, and a minimal set of rules its posibilites are almost infinite.. Due to all this, its a very complex game that cannot be captured by numbers alone.
At the same time its simplicity is a great equalizer, get yourself ten warriors under one single idea and you can have a chance against anyone
. Add to all that the theatrical element: Diving, simulation, psychological warfare, drama, etc... and you got a world (of war) in itself: No wonder people of all cultures and conditions are enthralled by the spectacle. There is truly nothing like it. The King of Sports

As someone who enjoys reading about football tactics, I agree that that's part of the appeal...It's both extremely simple, but tactically complex. You can say this about other sports though, that they are complex and can't be captured by numbers alone...

But did you seriously try to use diving as a plus point for football/soccer?

Have you ever watched an NFL game? Oh that's right, by asking this question the answer is no you fucking haven't.

I've lived in Canada for all my 38 years so it's always Hockey for me. NFL #2.

It's not a sport, but more of an "activity"

Have you ever watched an NFL game? Oh that's right, by asking this question the answer is no you fucking haven't.

Nah. NFL is cool in highlight/condensed form, but it's slow as shit and has waaaay to many breaks in between play. Games last over 3 hours, but only have 11 minutes of the ball actually being in play, while each play itself only lasts like 5-15 seconds<45>

Back