Is sparring a full workout?

Alex Gurevich

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Kind of a generic question, but we typically do either 50% sparring days, where everyone goes at the same time almost none stop for 40-60 min, or we do hard sparring sessions where everyone rotates for 1 round in the ring. Over an hour class you typically get 5, 2-3 minute rounds a piece. We go at full speed (not full power) so while it's exhausting when you're done it leaves me wondering if I actually got a decent workout in, since it's really just 10-15 minutes worth of high intensity training. On a regular day I do like 2 hours between lifting, grappling, and striking but obviously not at the same pace.

Do you typically do bag work or lift after a session like that?

Kind of a generic question, but we typically do either 50% sparring days, where everyone goes at the same time almost none stop for 40-60 min, or we do hard sparring sessions where everyone rotates for 1 round in the ring. Over an hour class you typically get 5, 2-3 minute rounds a piece. We go at full speed (not full power) so while it's exhausting when you're done it leaves me wondering if I actually got a decent workout in, since it's really just 10-15 minutes worth of high intensity training. On a regular day I do like 2 hours between lifting, grappling, and striking but obviously not at the same pace.

shadow box or hit the bag between sparing rounds. don't just stand around watching the others spar. you only do that on inter club nights, when you want to scope the opposition.

I get that, but the class is not setup that way. Everyone stands on the edge of the ring and the instructor calls pairs in without notice

Sparring is not conditioning but for a ‘workout’, it may be able to burn almost as much calories as mitt or bag work, it all depends

Are you there to work out or learn to fight is the question, sparing is not for a work out, if you want to do some S&C go do that after your sparing session.......it's all down to you and finding a balance, too little and your not progressing, too much and your over training (again not progressing)

Are you there to work out or learn to fight is the question, sparing is not for a work out, if you want to do some S&C go do that after your sparing session.......it's all down to you and finding a balance, too little and your not progressing, too much and your over training (again not progressing)

I'm there to learn to fight, but I do like to get a full workout 5-6 days a week as well. I spar twice a week and take a day off typically, that's why I was wondering if the above sort of fulfills or replaces are regular hard workout.

I'm there to learn to fight, but I do like to get a full workout 5-6 days a week as well. I spar twice a week and take a day off typically, that's why I was wondering if the above sort of fulfills or replaces are regular hard workout.

That's down to you and your level of fitness, not something you should need to ask Sherdogger's........it's like asking how long is a piece of string........

You could be 40 something with 3 small children working a manual job.......do you understand what I am saying?

If your young fit, single and still have little in the way of responsibility, then NO you lazy fuck it's not, go run 15 miles after you spar.....

Depending on whether you're sparring hard or not, I'd actually consider cutting down your sparring. If you find you're taking solid shots a lot in sparring, I'd drop that.

As for whether it works as a full workout, I don't think so, not really, unless you're taking a lot of body shots then I can see it being more of one because you're working while gassed.

Depending on whether you're sparring hard or not, I'd actually consider cutting down your sparring. If you find you're taking solid shots a lot in sparring, I'd drop that.

As for whether it works as a full workout, I don't think so, not really, unless you're taking a lot of body shots then I can see it being more of one because you're working while gassed.
2 days a week is fine given its not full blown gym wars. If TS is greener then more sparring help esp. If he has jitters on getting hit. I had them, and sparring 5 days a week did help. I don't recommend that but back then I and the gym was a but inexp'd

Back