Is stepping with a punch more powerful than a stationary firmly rooted punch?

The biggest reason/benefit to stepping with a punch isn't added power, it's added speed/reach/surprise, catching them off guard. But if they know you're going to do it, it's worse for you because it will be a lot more devastating and harder to recover from their timed counter of your step-in than if you hadn't (you'll walk right into their punch).

How can you do both?

You still have your forward momentum after you step forward, that's the whole point of the step. But when you make contact, you can be firmly rooted while still shifting your weight forward.

I mean think of a "normal" straight right, you're still shifting your weight forward even though you haven't moved at all.

Another example is when you get a running start and then jump off of both feet. You are firmly rooted with both feet on the ground and squared up, but you've got a lot of stored momentum.

You still have your forward momentum after you step forward, that's the whole point of the step. But when you make contact, you can be firmly rooted while still shifting your weight forward.

I mean think of a "normal" straight right, you're still shifting your weight forward even though you haven't moved at all.

Another example is when you get a running start and then jump off of both feet. You are firmly rooted with both feet on the ground and squared up, but you've got a lot of stored momentum.

Thankyou sir!

When is it best to torque your hips for power when you step? (straight right hand)

1) BEFORE push off the rear foot and at the same time you twist the rear foot so its a combined motion in one? (twist the back foot 1st/as you step)

2) DURING while you back foot is still mid air so its starts torquing before it lands (start twisting the foot mid air so during the step)

3) AFTER after both feet have landed in their new position (twist once both feet are in the new position ie after the step)

Thankyou sir!

When is it best to torque your hips? (for power) With the step?

1) push off the rear foot and at the same time you twist the rear foot so its a combined motion in one? (twist the back foot 1st/as you step)

2) while you back foot is still mid air so its starts torquing before it lands (start twisting the foot mid air so during the step)

3) after both feet have landed in their new position (twist once both feet are in the new position ie after the step)

Well 3 is the textbook way. But if you watch a pro boxing match you'll see guys throwing punches from all sorts of ridiculous angles based on the situation. Nothing is a RULE in fighting.

I think a small step forward give syou the most power if you throw a rear hand punch. But it's obviously not practical in many scenarios. Allthough sometimes it is.
Basically the good old jab, jab and step into an overhand right while your weight in already loaded onto your back foot is probably the hardest punch you can throw in boxing.

UbeS04.gif

I remember watching a Fedor seminar and he said "take a tiny step with every punch: jab-step, cross-step"

As a Karate guy I found that odd (so unlike what we were taught) but I tried it out in sparring later and it does add power, especially to the jab.
Its part of pursuing, its sparring/fighting so no one is gonna stay stationary, we all have to learn how to chase the opponent down. Only in a fantasy world does it happen where we're both rock-em sock-em robots

I remember watching a Fedor seminar and he said "take a tiny step with every punch: jab-step, cross-step"

As a Karate guy I found that odd (so unlike what we were taught) but I tried it out in sparring later and it does add power, especially to the jab.
yeah thats basic boxing and what i learned aswell. As a karate guy I think both ways have their place. I've caught guys alot while they are coming forward. The rooted unmoving stance really added a stiff power to the punches while they were moving in.

yeah thats basic boxing and what i learned aswell. As a karate guy I think both ways have their place. I've caught guys alot while they are coming forward. The rooted unmoving stance really added a stiff power to the punches while they were moving in.

I am not taught to take a step with any power punch in my Boxing gym. You twist either the rear or backleg and turn your body. It does not require any steps.

I am not taught to take a step with any power punch in my Boxing gym. You twist either the rear or backleg and turn your body. It does not require any steps.
yeah I've heard from more than one coach with pupils who compete to take tiny steps. Maybe you are going to boxercise club or they havent gotten to that point in teaching you yet.

Last edited:
Like @Jimmy Jazz said you haven't leanred it yet.

Once you get some time in, you'll learn pursuing combos. Only in a magic world do you and your opponent stay stationary with both parties not moving in any way

Like @Jimmy Jazz said you haven't leanred it yet.

Once you get some time in, you'll learn pursuing combos. Only in a magic world do you and your opponent stay stationary with both parties not moving in any way

Of course I learn stepping in and combos , but it is also taught from stationary positions, just like in Karate. So I dont know where he got that notion from. All Instructionals online for basic boxing punches are from stationary positions

Last edited:
And yes, the steps advocated are "tiny" - the essence of boxing footwork according to my instructor.

Only in a magic world do you and your opponent stay stationary with both parties not moving in any way

That's not true. I could be standing face to face against a guy who threatens me in a SD situation and sucker punch him with a right cross from a stationary position. It's only in the world of sparring that everybody is constantly moving.

That's not true. I could be standing face to face against a guy who threatens me in a SD situation and sucker punch him with a right cross from a stationary position. It's only in the world of sparring that everybody is constantly moving.
Naw. People move their heads to avoid strikes, then move feet. You're gonna end up throwing a 1,2 and end up missing both times.

I've been in this game long enough to know being stationary doesn't work. Even when you ring cut and corner people, you're still gonna end up short on your strikes unless you move your feet.

Your plan to combat sports and starting boxing is so you can edge out on drunken bums and sucker punching randoms?

Naw. People move their heads to avoid strikes, then move feet. You're gonna end up throwing a 1,2 and end up missing both times.

I've been in this game long enough to know being stationary doesn't work. Even when you ring cut and corner people, you're still gonna end up short on your strikes unless you move your feet.

Your plan to combat sports and starting boxing is so you can edge out on drunken bums and sucker punching randoms?

A sucker punch is by definition a punch landing on a guy who did not anticipate/parry the shot. Hence the term "sucker". I didn't advocate punching from stationary positions, but to suggest that such scenarios never could happen is not true.

I think you can stay still sometimes in kicking arts. Ive played the counter game where I just stand there and make people run into round,side, and front kicks. Other than that I agree.

I think you can stay still sometimes in kicking arts. Ive played the counter game where I just stand there and make people run into round,side, and front kicks. Other than that I agree.

I had a lot of WTF TKD people go full berserker rage at me cuz every time they came floating in with 13 roundhouses I put them on their ass with a side kick. One dude starting trying to punch me in the face out of anger and it's illegal in WTF. I actually had an instructor tell me to stop doing it because it doesn't hurt, and meanwhile all his blackbelts are laying on the floor gasping for air. It always puts a smile on my face to think of that.

Sidekick > roundhouse same way a jab beats a right hook.

I had a lot of WTF TKD people go full berserker rage at me cuz every time they came floating in with 13 roundhouses I put them on their ass with a side kick. One dude starting trying to punch me in the face out of anger and it's illegal in WTF. I actually had an instructor tell me to stop doing it because it doesn't hurt, and meanwhile all his blackbelts are laying on the floor gasping for air. It always puts a smile on my face to think of that.

Sidekick > roundhouse same way a jab beats a right hook.
Haha thats hilarious bro. I agree.

I think a small step forward give syou the most power if you throw a rear hand punch. But it's obviously not practical in many scenarios. Allthough sometimes it is.
Basically the good old jab, jab and step into an overhand right while your weight in already loaded onto your back foot is probably the hardest punch you can throw in boxing.

UbeS04.gif

nice bro just saw this thnakyou!

Back