Is stepping with a punch more powerful than a stationary firmly rooted punch?

I had a lot of WTF TKD people go full berserker rage at me cuz every time they came floating in with 13 roundhouses I put them on their ass with a side kick. One dude starting trying to punch me in the face out of anger and it's illegal in WTF. I actually had an instructor tell me to stop doing it because it doesn't hurt, and meanwhile all his blackbelts are laying on the floor gasping for air. It always puts a smile on my face to think of that.

Sidekick > roundhouse same way a jab beats a right hook.

I thought the side kick was alot slower than a round kick and so its not like a jab, a jab is faster than the punches it intercepts a side kick is one of the slower kicks even though its closer to them and long range

Front round kicks and front kicks are faster than side kicks?

You still have your forward momentum after you step forward, that's the whole point of the step. But when you make contact, you can be firmly rooted while still shifting your weight forward.

I mean think of a "normal" straight right, you're still shifting your weight forward even though you haven't moved at all.

Another example is when you get a running start and then jump off of both feet. You are firmly rooted with both feet on the ground and squared up, but you've got a lot of stored momentum.

Im finding if I do it text book I loose alot of the steps momentum into the ground.

Its like push off front foot goes forward, rear foot comes up, weight is loaded on rear foot, then you twist, by the time you've twisted the foot I have lost most but not all of the momentum of the step, am I doing it right?

Its like the moment that front foot lands you are losing momentum into the ground

Then the rear foot comes with you and lands in position more momentum is being lost

The weight is back because its a straight right, you have to transfer from rear to back you almost have to re adjust your weight back to keep the weight on the rear foot after you setp - more momentum lost

Then you have to twist the foot and hip which takes a little time in that time more momentum is lost.

I get some momentum into my punch but alot is lost am I doing it right?

Well 3 is the textbook way. But if you watch a pro boxing match you'll see guys throwing punches from all sorts of ridiculous angles based on the situation. Nothing is a RULE in fighting.

Why is waiting till you are set in a new position the text book way?

Fedor does it all in one motion he is torquing as he is stepping, instead of stepping and then torquing. He says he does this to be more likely to land a shot ie its faster.

Why is the text book way slower? Why is that way advised and not Fedors way?

yeah thats basic boxing and what i learned aswell. As a karate guy I think both ways have their place. I've caught guys alot while they are coming forward. The rooted unmoving stance really added a stiff power to the punches while they were moving in.
ah, for counters!
indeed, that's the point

I thought the side kick was alot slower than a round kick and so its not like a jab, a jab is faster than the punches it intercepts a side kick is one of the slower kicks even though its closer to them and long range

Front round kicks and front kicks are faster than side kicks?

It depends on how you're standing, and you need to use the front foot. But yes, front and side kicks are faster than roundhouses. Bruce Lee called them "stop hits" if I remember right, because you hit the other guy in the middle of his attack and stop the hit.

Why is waiting till you are set in a new position the text book way?

Fedor does it all in one motion he is torquing as he is stepping, instead of stepping and then torquing. He says he does this to be more likely to land a shot ie its faster.

Why is the text book way slower? Why is that way advised and not Fedors way?

Someone yells at me every time I refer to "classic" boxing technique. I just mean if you literally look in a text book, or if you're... conducting a class or something, you punch while firmly on the ground. In practice in the ring, you're going to be upside down on your face or whatever while punching. If you watch any of the best boxers they're all over the damn place off balance leaning over their front foot, etc.

Someone yells at me every time I refer to "classic" boxing technique. I just mean if you literally look in a text book, or if you're... conducting a class or something, you punch while firmly on the ground. In practice in the ring, you're going to be upside down on your face or whatever while punching. If you watch any of the best boxers they're all over the damn place off balance leaning over their front foot, etc.
And they don't always pivot/lift their foot when punching. Things are exaggerated for beginners

If you are stationary you can direct your kinetic chain more specifically and violently, but if you can combine it with inertial mass... You can possibly increase the threshold.

But as in long jumping you get more forward force when motion and active form is combined.

Fighting is rarely stationary. a knockout is more about precision and timing creating neck shear or brain slosh. This is why surprise shot are so effective... You can negate a lot of force with just tensing.

And when you throw a shot after a step or two, it doesn't mean the whole of your mass stopped moving, even though you repositioned to provide additional force.

Back