Is the BADDEST MMA fighter on the planet NOT in the UFC?

Is Minakov the uncrowned king of MMA?

• Total voters
Pavlovich is the much better fighter imo. Also people just completely ignore that the UFC CANT sign Vitaly anyway as he is legally obligated to Bellator currently
Exactly..
Minakov is already 33 years old and the situation doesn't seem to get any better day by day.. if Minakov wants to fight the winner of this dinosaur GP at Bellator, he'll only be back in US at 34 years old.

When he can beat people while being tested by USADA I will start to agree.

Saw like 2 guys I recognized on his record. Can crusher.

I always assume UFC has just avg fighters. I remember when Strike-force and Pride fighters came over after UFC purchased them and fighters did well.

UFC HW are still dominated by pride senior citizens

Even tho I said 'yes', I was kind of trolling as I know UFC talent department personnel visits here.

In all seriousness tho, he very well maybe. One simply can not discount that extra drive to win that an undefeated fighter had. Minakov is a very interesting case to and a pure winner. Just like at his sport Sambo accomplishments.

He hasn't beaten anyone relevant besides Volkov (years ago, people improve)
Volkov had to redeem himself in M-1 before going to the UFC.

He has improved thankfully.
* Volkov was much greener and not nearly the fighter he is today. After losing to Minakov, he even went on to lose to such mediocre competition as Tony Johnson and the aforementioned past-prime Kongo
It's weird to me how some fans or media guys like Luke Thomas say stuff like: "Volkov has improved" after his last fight. He fights the exact same way he used to do in Bellator and M-1 and his main weakness (TDD) is just as bad. He got taken down by Werdum repeatedly as if it was nothing. It's not like "Volkov has improved",it's just that UFC HW division is very weak and consists of a bunch of 40 year olds and washed up journeyman for the most part. That is the reason why that guy from M-1 went 4-0 and is ranked number 3 right now. Minakov would still beat him decisively. Tony Johnson outwrestled Volkov 2 years ago and Minakov outwrestled and dominated Johnson in his last fight and proceeded to finish him.

Minakov is not the only good HW from Russia. Pavlovich and Goltsov are quality well rounded fighters and would be in the top 10 without a doubt. They also deserve to be signed by the UFC.

Last edited:
It's weird to me how some fans or media guys like Luke Thomas say stuff like: "Volkov has improved" after his last fight. He fights the exact same way he used to do in Bellator and M-1 and his main weakness (TDD) is just as bad. He got taken down by Werdum repeatedly as if it was nothing. It's not like "Volkov has improved",it's just that UFC HW division is very weak and consists of a bunch of 40 year olds and washed up journeyman for the most part. That is the reason why that guy from M-1 went 4-0 and is ranked number 3 right now. Minakov would still beat him decisively. Tony Johnson outwrestled Volkov 2 years ago and Minakov outwrestled and dominated Johnson in his last fight and proceeded to finish him.

Minakov is not the only good HW from Russia. Pavlovich and Goltsov are quality well rounded fighters and would be in the top 10 without a doubt. They also deserve to be signed by the UFC.

Don’t want the ufc holding all the talent tbh. Can’t wait for Sergei-minakov this june

bel_194_nelson_mitrione_r1.jpeg

matt_mitrione-1.jpg

Hey fatty, hit the canvas!

Volkov still beat Werdum though. He survived on the ground against possibly the best BJJ heavyweight ever, so I wouldn't put that lightly.

If that's such an easy feat, Tybura and Harris should have been able to beat Werdum as well.

And Goltsov might get to the UFC soon . . .

https://mma-today.com/the-negotiations-are-on-acb-champion-denis-goltsov-ufc

We all know the UFC rightfully promotes itself as the premier organization in the fight world BUT they’ve whiffed on talent in the past... They boast the HW division as the baddest division on the planet and their champion as the baddest man.

This brings me to bring up the only ELITE fighter at HW they’ve yet to sign: Vitaly Minakov.

A complete MMA fighter with superb athleticism, a solid grappling/Sambo base, and legit one shot KO power. There haven’t been too many HWs lining up to fight him but the ones that have, have all been dispatched with relative ease including: Volkov, Kongo, TRT Bigfoot etc.

21-0 with 19 of those wins coming via FINISH.

What say you Sherdog? Is Vitaly Minakov the BADDEST man on the planet and uncrowned king of MMA?

I've never heard of him. So no.

He enjoys fighting cans in RUS and getting PAID big $ to do it. Hell never come back to the states.

Volkov still beat Werdum though. He survived on the ground against possibly the best BJJ heavyweight ever, so I wouldn't put that lightly.
Volkov's guard and ability to work off the back has always been solid. He triangle choked Smoldarev who is a pretty solid HW,submitted Blagoi Ivanov and almost caught Tony Johnson in a kimura. So it wasn't too surprising that he was able to retent guard and defend himself on the ground against Werdum. His TDD is still horrible though so nothing has really changed much since his Bellator and M1 days. Werdum took him down at will in 1st and 2nd round

Minakov is easily top 10 HW , but to be seriously concidered #1 you have to fight in the org with strongest competition, which currently is UFC.
I have to agree. I like Minakov and he's certainly up there but we can't say he's the best until he beats the best.

Back