Is the Internet a reflection of how angry people really are?

Steven_Universe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whenever you go to the comments section on YouTube or a message board, no matter the topic, so many people degenerate into petty name calling, racism, death threats, rape threats, things that you never hear in day to day life.

Furthermore, whenever women are concerned, so many angry people hating on women and marriage and girlfriends to the point of no reason, just petty name calling frothing at the mouth rage. Have all these guys really been hurt so badly?

I know anonymity gives people balls, but he negativity and rage. Are people really that angry?

I would say the only people I’m Angry at in my life is family members or close friends who screwed me over at some point. I don’t care enough about coworkers or strangers or ex girlfriends or Random’s at the bar to hate them or be angry at them.

Its a reflection on how stupid people are

It's also a reflection of how cowardly people are.

In the book On Killing, the author talks about how it comes easier for soldiers to pull the trigger when there's more "obstacles" in one's way between the person doing the killing and the target enemy soldier. More distance, more mechanical filters such as scopes, machinery, etc. It's easier for someone to pull the trigger and shoot a missile if you're seeing the target on a screen than it is for that person to look at the enemy in the eye and stab him up close and personal.

I believe the same applies to general human interaction. The internet makes it easier for people to say shit and express themselves than if it was in real life. Some people I know seem a lot more angrier on facebook. One of my friends is meek as a mouse when women are in front of him in real life, but he becomes a lot more brave and hits on them via text. As a rule, I try to keep how I act and talk in real life consistent with how I am online.

I'ts the reason I never post here, trolls disrupt the flow of conversation. We are at the peak of communication, we can communicate across the globe, and people use it as a tool to spew their racist views. The worst is the live streaming on youtube, where the chat is going 90 miles per hour, and all I see is the n word zipping by.

It's a reflection of how angry, stupid, and unhappy people are.

I honestly don't think anybody that's happy with their life spends their time online constantly being negative towards other people. Those shitty feelings are already eating at the person and they let it loose online. Cliche, I know, but meh.

Whenever you go to the comments section on YouTube or a message board, no matter the topic, so many people degenerate into petty name calling, racism, death threats, rape threats, things that you never hear in day to day life.

Furthermore, whenever women are concerned, so many angry people hating on women and marriage and girlfriends to the point of no reason, just petty name calling frothing at the mouth rage. Have all these guys really been hurt so badly?

I know anonymity gives people balls, but he negativity and rage. Are people really that angry?

I would say the only people I’m Angry at in my life is family members or close friends who screwed me over at some point. I don’t care enough about coworkers or strangers or ex girlfriends or Random’s at the bar to hate them or be angry at them.

707538ef3afa883c1d146b42cf01bac2.jpg

people say those things because they are really smart, tough and brave.

It's a mix of things
Some are stupid, some angry, some coward, some repressed, some all of these

BUT
I also think it's not a true reflection of peoples true nature, just a distorted/extremized version of some existing traits

In real life peoples seem much better, and while that's a mask too i think the truth is somewhere in the middle

I posted this in TWR a while back

one of the saddest things to me is that people come online to promote hatred, prejudice & bigotry, using the internet as an "escape" from their everyday lives that they have great disdain for. they use it as a tool to vent frustrations & anger typically towards others without fear of any sort of repercussions thanks to the anonymity the platform they'd choose might provide. these are your everyday angry & confrontational users & there are plenty of them on here especially, who post entries factoring petty emotion ridden nonsense disregarding logic almost always. these type of people are those who I deem to use the internet "incorrectly".

the internet can be used for so much good, I mean you have all this vast information at your fingertips, & even more you're able to connect with other human beings all around the world.

instead you have people itching to keyboard battle & the moment they'd get a chance to shit on someone, they would then ride that wave of negativity justifying it to be some sort of confidence booster enabling them to go back out into the real world with an extra kick in their step.

isn't that fucking sad? I admit I take the bait at times & that's my own personal flaw but I never come on here with negative intent, thinking " ooooooohhh *fap fap fap* who is the next piece of shit I need to jump on in TWR *fap fap fap*".

debating & arguing points is fine of course, but when people factor in emotions & make personal attacks while trying to make a point is purely juvenile.

In the book On Killing, the author talks about how it comes easier for soldiers to pull the trigger when there's more "obstacles" in one's way between the person doing the killing and the target enemy soldier. More distance, more mechanical filters such as scopes, machinery, etc. It's easier for someone to pull the trigger and shoot a missile if you're seeing the target on a screen than it is for that person to look at the enemy in the eye and stab him up close and personal.

I believe the same applies to general human interaction. The internet makes it easier for people to say shit and express themselves than if it was in real life. Some people I know seem a lot more angrier on facebook. One of my friends is meek as a mouse when women are in front of him in real life, but he becomes a lot more brave and hits on them via text. As a rule, I try to keep how I act and talk in real life consistent with how I am online.

On Killing is a fantastic book. +1

We had the author stop by and give us a huge speech and presentation before we deployed awhile back. He predicted school shootings and lots more workplace violence when I saw him, had to be around 2011.

I don’t think so. I’ve said things on the internet that I wouldn’t say accurately reflect me. Or said something just for a reaction (aka trolling).

The internet certainly highlights human vanity, vapidness, and neediness.

This thread really needs to be moved to the OT in order for you to get a proper answer.

53c1786fb40bffd51558357b08c9ab8c--los-memes-hilarious-photos.jpg

80 % of the global population is stupid as fuck..... What Did you expect?

In real life, i’m exactly Like I am on the internet. It has gotten me into trouble at times.

Yeah its very worrying, some of the comments are disgusting. Seems some people just want to provoke and get into a argument for some reason. Some are really like that in real life though and its just a reflection of who they are.

People lack manners in general these days, which is sad to see. And I think it highlights itself even more online.

it's evolving to something worse say by day, thanks to social media. this "LOOK AT MEEE" culture/craze is sickening too. people posturing & posing, trying to have such a strong online presence, where their online lives dictate their real life happiness.

Back