Is the Internet a reflection of how angry people really are?

I've just accepted it. People are dicks on the highway too. Maybe it's the way I was raised but words don't really bother me all that much. It's all about actions and intent. Plus a lot of times people say shit to get a rise out of others.

Mean words on the internet are never gonna stop. Best thing you can do is ignore them and stop obsessing with things that will never change. People will always be dicks.

I agree with many of the points others have made . I think society is simply more vapid vain and shallow than we care to admit.

In general, if held unaccountable, people are savage assholes..Comment sections allow people to behave without consequences....makes you embarrassed to be human..

Children and trolls.
And there are a lot of unhappy maladjusted people in the world that we don't interact with regularly because they shun normal society, this is our window into their lives.
And on the other hand most regular, happy normal people aren't commenting on random YouTube videos.
We definitely do not get an accurate cross section of society on YouTube comments.

Meh, people are inherently bad, so this is normal. Most of you are simply too optimistic about what humanity really is, but the world continues to be the world. Nothing new here, the internet just puts a spotlight on the human condition.

In general, if held unaccountable, people are savage assholes..Comment sections allow people to behave without consequences....makes you embarrassed to be human..
I used to hope it was just a vocal minority of assholes.

Now I'm not so sure...

Most people are shitheads and easiest way to get someone to interact with you is to piss someone off. Just like a child acting out to get their parents attention.

There's a chrome extension that replaces the comments on a youtube video with the comments from reddit instead, It makes it much more pleasant experience.

Yes and No TS.

It is more a reflection of how low certain people will go when they think they will have no accountability for their actions.

Consider it more like Road Rage. I've been in cars with otherwise normal people who turn into complete angry psychopaths behind the wheel. Not a shred of understanding if someone cuts them off accidentally (like they never cut anyone off themselves) and acting and reacting in ways they would never do in public.

so while I do think the internet and road rage are exaggerations of the personalities you see in the worst way you would never see them that way typically out in public. In fact the most aggressive people on the internet I would bet are the most sheepish in real life, despite whatever front they might put up.

I bet if you saw the same person at home they would be in between their public persona (nicer person) and the internet angry troll.

Anger and conflict/division are the images that comment sections intentionally project. Depending which site you're on, there are bots that foment arguments with hyperbolic positions...

It's a reflection of people's communication skills, insecurities and capacity for empathy.

I don't think so in general, but I'm sure for some it does. I think how one react/respond on the internet can be due to a number of things including poor interpretation due to assumptions, bias or poor articulation from the poster that almost no one ask for clarification of said statements. Similar in some ways to drivers on the road, but at a much more complex and larger scale. Not to mention the micro percent of idiots on the internet, trolls, attention seekers and internet comedians trying to win the 'best post of the day' award. It's one of the reason why I try not to look at comments on facebook posts/videos, although it can be quite entertaining at times...

Last edited:
Not really. The people that engage in comment sections and forums make up a microscopically small amount of total users of the internet.

Whenever you go to the comments section on YouTube or a message board, no matter the topic, so many people degenerate into petty name calling, racism, death threats, rape threats, things that you never hear in day to day life.

Furthermore, whenever women are concerned, so many angry people hating on women and marriage and girlfriends to the point of no reason, just petty name calling frothing at the mouth rage. Have all these guys really been hurt so badly?

I know anonymity gives people balls, but he negativity and rage. Are people really that angry?

I would say the only people I’m Angry at in my life is family members or close friends who screwed me over at some point. I don’t care enough about coworkers or strangers or ex girlfriends or Random’s at the bar to hate them or be angry at them.

I suspect anonymity gives people the opportunity to say how they really feel and racism is very rampant. No filter like in face to face conversations.

I don't know if it's anger so much as people and their delicate egos feeling threatened. Everyone likes to be right - you see it in here often when two people will drag an argument out and fight for the last word over what kind of toast is better because they can't let it go and have to be right, and they can't walk away because walking away from an internet fight somehow means you've conceded and you're wrong. It's all ego.

The internet has given everyone a voice and many of those people mistakenly believe their voice is the only one that matters. So they belittle everyone else who doesn't fall in line and agree and it disintegrates from there.

So many people here and elsewhere on the internet will start with personal attacks if someone simply doesn't agree with them because they're butthurt that their thoughts aren't everyone else's. If everyone quit thinking they were special there'd be a lot less of this internet bullshit.

Yes and No TS.

It is more a reflection of how low certain people will go when they think they will have no accountability for their actions.

Consider it more like Road Rage. I've been in cars with otherwise normal people who turn into complete angry psychopaths behind the wheel. Not a shred of understanding if someone cuts them off accidentally (like they never cut anyone off themselves) and acting and reacting in ways they would never do in public.

so while I do think the internet and road rage are exaggerations of the personalities you see in the worst way you would never see them that way typically out in public. In fact the most aggressive people on the internet I would bet are the most sheepish in real life, despite whatever front they might put up.

I bet if you saw the same person at home they would be in between their public persona (nicer person) and the internet angry troll.

Here on sherdog and other forums I have a membership I tend to be more reactionary and hot headed than I am in real life. In real life I usually ignore people when they are being obnoxious

Back