Is the Internet a reflection of how angry people really are?

Whenever you go to the comments section on YouTube or a message board, no matter the topic, so many people degenerate into petty name calling, racism, death threats, rape threats, things that you never hear in day to day life.

Furthermore, whenever women are concerned, so many angry people hating on women and marriage and girlfriends to the point of no reason, just petty name calling frothing at the mouth rage. Have all these guys really been hurt so badly?

I know anonymity gives people balls, but he negativity and rage. Are people really that angry?

I would say the only people I’m Angry at in my life is family members or close friends who screwed me over at some point. I don’t care enough about coworkers or strangers or ex girlfriends or Random’s at the bar to hate them or be angry at them.
Some are legit angry, some are trolling.

I know what you mean though, I post on Yahoo stories and everything turns into stupid, name calling partisan political argument no matter the topic. If you want to figure out the lowest common denominator.. read Yahoo story comments.

I go on there just to troll and fuck with people. It's like fishing with dynamite.

Here on sherdog and other forums I have a membership I tend to be more reactionary and hot headed than I am in real life. In real life I usually ignore people when they are being obnoxious
That seems to be the norm where people are hot headed on the internet and in Cars (Road Rage) but not in real life.

Sadly the family at home usually gets quite a bit of the hotheadedness as well.

Strange and sad that we typically treat strangers in real life the best and our families the worst (outside the internet and in Cars).

Whenever you go to the comments section on YouTube or a message board, no matter the topic, so many people degenerate into petty name calling, racism, death threats, rape threats, things that you never hear in day to day life.

Furthermore, whenever women are concerned, so many angry people hating on women and marriage and girlfriends to the point of no reason, just petty name calling frothing at the mouth rage. Have all these guys really been hurt so badly?

I know anonymity gives people balls, but he negativity and rage. Are people really that angry?

I would say the only people I’m Angry at in my life is family members or close friends who screwed me over at some point. I don’t care enough about coworkers or strangers or ex girlfriends or Random’s at the bar to hate them or be angry at them.

I think some people need to be negative to have a personality. You don't put yourself or your ideas out there if you are just hating on other people, so just look at them as chickenshits.

That seems to be the norm where people are hot headed on the internet and in Cars (Road Rage) but not in real life.

Strange and sad that we typically treat strangers in real life the best and our families the worst (outside the internet and in Cars).

In real life, there are actual physical repercussions. But I have seen people treat others as badly as people do on the internet. Only when they had a massive size advantage though. Or when all their friends were there to back them up if something happened. People are just scared bitches.

Hell, i’ve Been a scared bitch a time or two in my life.

nah. when you're anonymous, you feel free to give extreme opinions on things you may not feel so invested in. it's also i think fun for a lot of people to talk smack, or as the english would say, use "banter". messing around for the sake of having a laugh.

i'd be angry too if i were stupid.

But if someone is stupid, are they even smart enough to know they’re stupid? I seem to remember reading about some study where they concluded that the dumber people are, the less they understand just how dumb they are.

Iife3.jpg

But if someone is stupid, are they even smart enough to know they’re stupid? I seem to remember reading about some study where they concluded that the dumber people are, the less they understand just how dumb they are.

You make a good point.
But i think in these times with how ubiquitous technology has become and how connected we are due to the internet, stupid people are starting to realize just how stupid they are. And not surprisingly, it's pissing them off. It seems to manifest itself more in politics, but it certainly affects every area nowadays it seems.

It's a reflection of how many people want to be angry.

Most of what you read on Youtube and whatnot probably isn't even serious. Just people cutting loose and having stupid fun because the internet is a good place to goof off in without worrying about most of the usual repercussions you'd face in real life. Sorry some folks take it too seriously.

It's a reflection of TRUE human nature. That's why I don't trust NOBODY IRL. Everyone is so damn fake. Sage Northcutt is the biggest troll of all. I really want to see his internet persona. Would not surprise me if it's John Wang or someone obnoxious.

It's also their way to vent.

I see it more as a reflection of how mad people are.

MAD FOR LOW LOW SAVINGS AND ROCK BOTTOM PRICING!!!

I'M CRAZY GIDEON!!! AND MY ELECTRONICS ARE FOR SURE NOT STOLEN!

The net(especially comments not directed at anyone specifically) basically provides a degree of detachment that allows people to shut off more of there empathy, the same way its easier to convince people to hate some other group or individual that they have limited or no interaction with generally.

There's a chrome extension that replaces the comments on a youtube video with the comments from reddit instead, It makes it much more pleasant experience.

A whole lot of work had to go into that, and even though I don't go anywhere near Youtube comments sections, I certainly appreciate the intent behind it.

There was, you're probably thinking of the Dunning-Kruger effect, which states that people with more limited cognitive abilities tend to rate their own intelligence higher than it truly is. Basically, the dumber you are, the smarter you feel.

Last edited:
People have a lot of pent up energy living unfulfilled lives.

Sage Northcutt is the biggest troll of all. I really want to see his internet persona. Would not surprise me if it's John Wang or someone obnoxious.

@John Wang is this true, ben?

TOsWLT3q_400x400.jpg

hnnnggg

That's true. Maybe people tend to take their loved ones for granted. It as if they think to themselves "I know you love me so ,I also know you will put up with my crap",

I noticed something weird on CNN.com the other day.

On the articles that were sort of favorable towards Trump, the comments section are always open and are full of left leaing hatred towards the man and a handful of defenders

However, none of the anti-Trump articles, which are often opinion pieces by some cnn contributers, seem to ever have a comments section. It's almost as if that's done on purpose so that people are not able to leave defending comments.

I noticed something weird on CNN.com the other day.

On the articles that were sort of favorable towards Trump, the comments section are always open and are full of left leaing hatred towards the man and a handful of defenders

However, none of the anti-Trump articles, which are often opinion pieces by some cnn contributers, seem to ever have a comments section. It's almost as if that's done on purpose so that people are not able to leave defending comments.

I hate how CNN selectively opens up certain articles for comments but shuts it down for others, and if you pay attention it becomes predictable whether or not they are going to allow comments just based on the topic (They usually don't allow comments on topics they are trying to push or portray as being common or generally accepted when in reality its a unpopular view or at least contentious).

Fox News was also vacillating between limiting comments to certain articles and turning off the whole comment feature on the site thing for awhile, but it looks like they opened it up more lately, but that has come with a tremendous amount of trolling everywhere as a result.

MSN just completely killed the comments section on their articles. For a few weeks it was replaced by a "we are looking for new ways for readers to express their opinions" or some jazz, but now that whole section is gone.

Edit: Just looked and can't find anything outside of sports with a comments section still on CNN so i guess they are just going with the shut it down approach.

Last edited:
Back