Is the straight cross stronger and stable in the 1-2 combo?

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I get this feeling of a much more powerful straight right when I throw it after a jab, it actually feels like a power punch. Instead when I'm throwing it as a single punch it feels more unstable and less powerful. It gets much better instead if after the straight right I throw a left hook, kinda feels more fluid.

Is that true or kinda normal especially for a beginner? If so, any explanations?

Yeah

Usually as you pull the jab back, the momentum from it "pushes" the cross. Naturally from a 1,2 you have tenacity to really sit down into the 2. You can obviously do the same solo, but it feels very natural and intuitive after the 1.

I have found this to be the case as well. I think it's due to the body already being "worked up" from the first shot. When you throw a straight right, there is a certain wind-up involved which is absent when it follows up a jab.

It's because the right side is "loaded" after you throw a left of any kind (hook, jab, etc). Your weight is firmly on your right foot now and your right shoulder is cocked back. You could start from this position without throwing a left first, but it might be telegraphed-- pulling your arm back, etc. is a common tell that makes shows that you're going to throw a right (looks kind of like in those old John Wayne cowboy movies). Or maybe you could just move around and keep this position as your default, but they'd still know that was your main punch you were meaning to throw and would be waiting for it.

Same thing happens to your left side after a punch from your right. All the weight goes on the left foot and is loaded for a really nice left hook. This is why combos and feints are nice, they conceal the powerpunch thats about to happen and load the spring (your leg). If you want really exaggerated and easy to see but also technically correct examples of this, watch Mike Tyson footage on youtube (especially in slow mo they usually re-show after the KO). He really loads up and gets a good bend into his leg before letting it go.

^What he said. Cuz when you throw the jab, you're loading up your right so when it comes out, it is naturally stronger and faster.

You always wind up the 2 before throwing it but you'd be telegraphing and your opponent would know you're throwing it.

I kinda describe it like this

The 1-2 is like a double action revolver with only 2 shots... bang bang .. on after another

The lead cross is kinda like the motions of when a guy is using a whip.... you whip it outwards and have to pull it back so yeah it's slower and less stable especially when thrown with power

Back