Is the Xbox 360 and PS3 the goat generation of consoles?

There were definitely some good looking games on the GC, PS2, and XBOX, but the PS3 and 360 were the first HD consoles.

I had a GameCube and a PS2 which I bought when I got out of Basic training in the service when I was 22. RE4 and The Windwaker still hold up today imo.

I enjoyed Wind Waker. Would love to see a 3DS version released.

Too bad

Yes by far

Halo 3
Halo 4
Gears of war
Forza 3,4, Horizon
Alan Wake
Skyrim, Oblivion
Fallout 3, New Vegas
Crysis 1-3
Fable 2
The orange box
Red dead redemption
GTA 4, 5
Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Infiinite
Call of duty 2,3,4, word at war, mw2, black ops 1 and 2
Bad company 1 and 2
Arkahm asylum, Arkham City
Killzone 2, 3
Infamous 1,2
God of war 3
The last of us
Uncharted 1-3
Resistance 1-3
Left 4 dead 1-2
Borderlands 1-3

I could keep going

So many amazing games and it's when the online gaming experience on console entered its prime imo and had many new features (party chat, achievements/trophies etc)

Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Zelda ALTTP
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV, VI
Top Gear 2
Super Mario Kart
Starfox
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3
Super Contra
Super Mario Allstars
X-Men Mutant Apocalypse
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Sim City
Breath of Fire series
Secret of Mana
Megaman X, 2, 3
Gunstar Heroes
Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3
Phantasy Star series

I could go on and on.

Not for me. I went through 3 separate Xbox 360s and 2 separate PS3's. Great games for both consoles but the reliability of these systems was disappointing especially since I still have my original nintendo 64 and PS2 in my closet and they still work. Got to go with the 64/PS1.

The graphics jump from super nes to ps1 was huge, ps2 was disappointing, 360/ps3 was huge, ps4 not much of a leap but damn did Horizon look good.

goat
IMG_0211.jpg

giphy.gif

I'd agree with the OP, as far as the amount of quality games, awesome new IPs, and so on.

BUT my personal favorite time was the transition period where we seen the Dreamcast, then the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube come around. It's just nostalgia, I was a teen when the PS1, N64, and Saturn came, but I was blown away when the Dreamcast and PS2 came out.

who actually cares?

great games come out in every generation and then styles and peoples tastes change and then you get a whole new generation who love the graphics/gameplay of other things and some love the new stuff

media just changes, there are films and games that were great in the 70's that are still loved/great now...and then incriment that for every decade

and then people start to make old school games in this era and it rewinds again.....

The Last of Us
Grand Theft Auto 5
Grand Theft Auto 4
Red Dead Redemption
L.A. Noire

Great game after great game. The graphics jump within the console cycle was also incredible. You didn't have to constantly download and you had plenty of space to do what you needed to do. Great mix of games and graphics and plug and play.

Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Zelda ALTTP
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV, VI
Top Gear 2
Super Mario Kart
Starfox
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3
Super Contra
Super Mario Allstars
X-Men Mutant Apocalypse
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Sim City
Breath of Fire series
Secret of Mana
Megaman X, 2, 3
Gunstar Heroes
Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3
Phantasy Star series

I could go on and on.
Nah

I like my list better

I don't know bruh, this Xbox One I bought recently is.. I think, smarter than me. The thing frightens the shit out of me tbqh.

NO FUCKING WAY DUDE.

That said, my criteria is a little unfair for today's industry. I rate the best console era on the basis of one simple thing..

Do the consoles provide any experience that is not available on PC. Going by this, the 1996-1999 generation wins handily.

The Saturn, PS1, N64, and Dreamcast actually offered gameplay experiences and even whole genres that were not available outside of those consoles.

Because let's be honest, PC is so much better than consoles when the criteria I mentioned is not a factor. My PC is basically a super console. This was NOT the case from 1996-1999.

Not even close

The NES is the goat generation of console only to be followed up with the 64.

With out either one of those you wouldn’t have the Xbox 360 or the ps3

PS1 and PS2 was for me and probably most early 90s kids thinks the same. The downside was the games were expensive AF.

Kids today have no idea how easy they have when it comes to buying the latest games.

Glad the subscription fees was introduced on PS4 by the time I was an adult and was able to afford them.

Last edited:
I sold the system but still have my 360 games I play the fuck out of Halo reach still

I still never left the PS3. It's an awesome system and great to collect for right now because most games are cheap. I'm currently trying to collect every fighting game for it.

Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4 all are really a great game console. But I like PS more than Xbox because of Joypad. Ps joystick it's really great and confotable for playing any games. Xbox also has the joystick but the right one is on the top and the left one is in downside but in PS both are the center that's why I like PS more than Xbox and PC also have same Joypad like PS.

Back