Is there a consensus Greatest Flyweight?

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Soooo. Never really thought about it before. But who is the greatest flyweight ever?

Jimmy Wilde
Pancho Villa
Pascual Perez
Fidel LaBarba
Frankie Genaro
Miguel Canto
Benny Lynch
Fighting Harada
Pone Kingpetch
Betulio Gonzalez
Santos Laciar
Chartchai
Gilberto Roman
Mark Johnson
Roman Gonzalez

?

I dunno.

Most would say Jimmy Wilde, but Canto and Perez, maybe Villa all have cases

Mark “Too Sharp” Johnson is severely underated and so is his first fight vs Marquez, I felt he did enough to win a decision

Dude even had a second win in his career when he defeated Fernando Montiel

Mark “Too Sharp” Johnson is severely underated and so is his first fight vs Marquez, I felt he did enough to win a decision

Dude even had a second win in his career when he defeated Fernando Montiel
Johnson was a very talented fighter but he isn't what I would call underrated. He's in the HOF and was rated pretty highly P4P at his peak. His resume isn't the deepest either, it's mostly a bunch of no names, plus the Marquez and Montiel fights (I agree the Marquez fights were close, but it wasn't some huge robbery). Definitely not in the greatest of all time conversation for FlW

Johnson was a very talented fighter but he isn't what I would call underrated. He's in the HOF and was rated pretty highly P4P at his peak. His resume isn't the deepest either, it's mostly a bunch of no names, plus the Marquez and Montiel fights (I agree the Marquez fights were close, but it wasn't some huge robbery). Definitely not in the greatest of all time conversation for FlW
I was watching him a lot when I started boxing primarily because he was a southpaw and watching him gave me a lot of confidence

Agree with you on all points, you can also say historically the flyweights have and always will be underappreciated

I was watching him a lot when I started boxing primarily because he was a southpaw and watching him gave me a lot of confidence

Agree with you on all points, you can also say historically the flyweights have and always will be underappreciated
yeah, dude's deifnitely a remarkably skilled FlW, just not GOAT territory. Still, an absolute handful for anybody in the division at his best

you're on point too: flyweights never get the love they earn

Back