Is there a correlation between $ and hunger?

OrigFan255

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I often wonder this. I remember how hard some fighters fought in the beginning to climb the mountain , only to lose the desire to climb it once again.

There are definitely some fighters that more money didn't seem to affect how they approached the fight and stayed hungry regardless of their record.

Ex: Randy
Frankie Edgar
Mark Hunt until he hit social media

Thoughts?

Definitely.

But don't worry the UFC is underpaying their fighters anyway so it rarely if ever is a problem.

The downfall after having been on top is more a mental issue imo. It comes down to regaining confidence which can be very hard.

Is there a correlation between calf sizes and the ability to take a punch?

Id retire if i hit a massive payday, thats for fucking sure

Bisping has stayed hungry. Gustaffson. Frankie is an excellent example. I still love Nate Diaz and want to see him vs Conor.

Yes, guys that are set for life will lose their hunger. It hurts to be hit repeatedly in the face, and to quote Randy: "pissing blood after every fight".

But you have the exceptions:
Bisping is one of the highest paid fighters in the history of the sport. He still was/is crazy motivated.
DC still seems/seemed to be extremely hungry, wanting to get a win over Jones.

yes, when you don't have money, you can't buy food, therefore, you will be hungry

I often wonder this. I remember how hard some fighters fought in the beginning to climb the mountain , only to lose the desire to climb it once again.

There are definitely some fighters that more money didn't seem to affect how they approached the fight and stayed hungry regardless of their record.

Ex: Randy
Frankie Edgar
Mark Hunt until he hit social media

Thoughts?

No.
The big difference is that the sport changed.
When there wasn't money to be made, fighters would fight for honor, to prove they are the best (or tougher), etc.
Now that so much money is involved (at the top), fighters try to secure themselves financially.

and while it is ok to do so IMHO, the problem is that the greedy promotion allows some fighters to fuck the sport in the name of money, and this is a deviation that shouldn't be allowed.

But the problem is that the fans of those guys push for that to happen as well, so the greedy promotion can justify fucking the sport in lieu of "showing what the fans want"...

They're professional athletes and competitors, like in any other sport. This whole argument is from Dana to justify not paying his fighters well. it's bullshit.

Yeah, but the correlation isn't as absolute as people think.

If you are literally paying peanuts not many guys will fight. And some guys who are making a comfortable living still have the fire to compete.

But I think even if you look at sports where the middling athletes make "good" money, after long enough in the game that fire kind of dies out for most of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back