Is there a Russian overhand?

Not sure what you mean by that.

On an incidental note, many combat sambo fighters, like Igor Vovchanchyn or Fedor, would turn their wrists all the way over when throwing hooks. Sometimes called a 'casting punch'.

It definitely looks Russian. Palm down, quite wide, looks powerful. I wouldn't be able to help much more though because I don't know whether its a boxing or MMA context.

Here's a video on overhands from a channel that I reference a lot on here

Timestamped a part where he shows a very short chopping overhand.

I thought the overhand was usually done with an exaggerated slip or evaluation change?

It's an overhand with a very small slip. Arm still wings out on the side, but it still travels in an overhandish motion. The fist still comes down on the target at impact.

Looks like a throwing motion you'd use to throw a baseball while playing catch.

Or the overhand you'd use when countering a jab by slipping inside.

uu6TNcM.gif

Not sure how heavy that waterbag is, but they're hard to move like that unless you're pretty f'n powerful. GGG's got power for sure.

Last edited:
I think it’s just an overhand.

I think so too. It's a tighter overhand rather than the wide loopy ones that are the norm in MMA.
Mavin Hagler was using it back in his day so I'm not sure it's something that's exclusive to the Russians.

it looked more like a R hook with the hand horizontal rather than vertical to me.

It's an overhand with a very small slip. Arm still wings out on the side, but it still travels in an overhandish motion. The fist still comes down on the target at impact.

uu6TNcM.gif

Not sure how heavy that waterbag is, but they're hard to move like that unless you're pretty f'n powerful. GGG's got power for sure.

But the way the Russian guys are throwing it I don't see a slipping motion or definitely not as pronounced. And from what I've seen they don't really use it as counter. Whereas the standard overhand is often relegated to countering and is thrown like a cross as often as not as a swing.

vs.

I think so too. It's a tighter overhand rather than the wide loopy ones that are the norm in MMA.
Mavin Hagler was using it back in his day so I'm not sure it's something that's exclusive to the Russians.

I've definitely seen other people do it. Just seems to be more sporadic compared to the Russians

But the way the Russian guys are throwing it I don't see a slipping motion. And from what I've seen they dont really use it as counter.

Watch GGG throw the right hand - he does a small slip / dip to the left side as the hand comes over. The other guys swing their body a bit more instead of dipping.

And you're right, they don't use it as a counter - I was just likening it to that specific counter because of how it's thrown.

Whereas the standard overhand is often relegated to countering and is thrown like a cross as often as not as a swing.

Not sure if there is a ' standard overhand ' at least in my personal experience. They all vary a little bit - like throwing a baseball is slightly different from person to person. Every overhand will be thrown a little like a cross and a little like a swing, though.

However, this is all just personal boxing semantics on a message board, so YMMV. It's whatever you want to call it.

Watch GGG throw the right hand - he does a small slip / dip to the left side as the hand comes over. The other guys swing their body a bit more instead of dipping.

And you're right, they don't use it as a counter - I was just likening it to that specific counter because of how it's thrown.

Not sure if there is a ' standard overhand ' at least in my personal experience. They all vary a little bit - like throwing a baseball is slightly different from person to person. Every overhand will be thrown a little like a cross and a little like a swing, though.

However, this is all just personal boxing semantics on a message board, so YMMV. It's whatever you want to call it.

This is unrelated to the earlier part of the thread. But is the baseball analogy really the best? Wouldn't following through with your arm, the way you would when throwing a ball, lead to being off balance or bending or falling forward.

This is unrelated to the earlier part of the thread. But is the baseball analogy really the best? Wouldn't following through with your arm, the way you would when throwing a ball, lead to being off balance or bending or falling forward.

Well it's the analogy I like to use. I wasn't speaking of throwing a fastball pitch to home plate, but throwing a baseball to a friend.

<1>
This is why I try not to get into these threads. They always turn into really complicated conversations about something that shouldn't be complicated at all. They end up feeling like the " but why " conversations you have with children and in the end, no one agrees and no one is happy. I'm going to step out of this one.

Damn son, that was a really great round. What weight is this at? I don’t even understand how Mugabi could take those punches like that. Such crazy sharp offense with not a lot of defense

uu6TNcM.gif

I think that's the 12" headhunter bag, which is 35lbs filled. He's sending it flying like it weighs 35 grams!

I think that's the 12" headhunter bag, which is 35lbs filled. He's sending it flying like it weighs 35 grams!

i notice the evade black belt shirt in your logo. are you affiliated with them?

i notice the evade black belt shirt in your logo. are you affiliated with them?

Yeah :)

I used to coach and fight out of Evade for a long time. Right now I'm doing bits of training at Evade building myself back up after shoulder surgery.

Back