Is there any way to prep for long distance kayaking without getting in the Kayak ?

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Is there any exercises or ideas you have to help me condition for kayaking?

I just dont have a kayak and am not near water. I need something I can do in my playroom or at the fitness gym. Is there any machine with weights I can use to simulate the motion?

JdxD3g

Find a chair
find a giant stick
get giant rubber bands
somehow put rubber bands around 45lb plates around giant stick.
Kayake in living room while watching people on tv kayake.
??
Profit

Maybe not a perfect match, but the c2 rower might mimic the intensity and some of the motion.

if your gym has rowing machine work in some side to side rows, it will mimic the movement pretty close. Since you don't really use the leg drive in a kayak just keep your legs in a semi extended position.
upload_2018-6-21_13-50-44.jpeg

if your gym has rowing machine work in some side to side rows, it will mimic the movement pretty close. Since you don't really use the leg drive in a kayak just keep your legs in a semi extended position.
View attachment 396361

In a kayak, I seem to pull with one arm, and push with the other though. I think I am doing that correctly. On that pic you show, seems like you pull with both.

In a kayak, I seem to pull with one arm, and push with the other though. I think I am doing that correctly. On that pic you show, seems like you pull with both.
It won't be an exact match to the motion, but it will help with the core rotation and engage the obliques. The arm closest to your body will be doing most of the pulling with the far arm acting more as a stabilizer, there won't be much of a push. Again, it isn't perfect replication but it's about as close as I've been able to find with standard gym equipment.

Back