Is there something unhealthy about baked potatoes all of the sudden?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Specifically white potatoes. I eat baked white and sweet potatoes all of the time
I was under the impression they were nutritious and provided calories that a skinny guy like
me needed.

Why all of the sudden do I see so much hate towards white potatoes? Are they bad for us ?

Some people are sensitive to them and it can cause or exacerbate leaky gut syndrome.

Potatoes are only bad for you if someone throws one at your face.

You can live on pretty much just potatoes indefinitely. That's been proven several times. They are also one of the most satiating foods measured in trials. Fun fact: Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller lost like a hundred pounds eating mostly potatoes. I like that guy.

The reason people have vilified potatoes is that they want to make having a healthy diet sound complicated so they can sell you something.

Nothing wrong with white potatoes so long as you treat them as a carb source and not a vegetable and prepare them with little to no fat.

White potatoes are also very complementary to sweet potatoes. They have a lot of the micronutrients that sweet potatoes are missing and vice versa.

Dr. McDougall is a big promoter of potatoes.

However, Dr. Greger is against against eating potatoes.

Fuck potatoes.

Salad or Rice. Maybe some bread a few times..

Thats what you need on the side of your protein source.

Don't eat them......they will drive you mad and have you chucking dollys at buses......or is that bathsalts and cocaine????

@j123

Not sure, they're starchy and when I heard of the unhealthy part it was because everyone was attempting to go keto and low carb then.

Fuck potatoes.

Damn mang, you kai greene your potatos?

Don't eat them......they will drive you mad and have you chucking dollys at buses......or is that bathsalts and cocaine????

@j123
I snort my potatoes 3x a day

Not sure, they're starchy and when I heard of the unhealthy part it was because everyone was attempting to go keto and low carb then.

Damn mang, you kai greene your potatos?

I snort my potatoes 3x a day
The baby new type I hope......

They are not bad. It's what people put on them that does them in .

they're not bad, but sweet potatoes are far superior in terms of nutrition profile and taste.

they're not bad, but sweet potatoes are far superior in terms of nutrition profile and taste.

That is not true. Pretty much all sweet potatoes have on regular potatoes is Vitamin A, which absolutely none of us who eat other vegetables (carrots, spinach, kale, broccoli = all excellent sources) are deficient in. Both types are high in potassium, but white potatoes have almost twice as much.

Sweet potatoes are very slightly higher in fiber (3.3g/100g vs. 2.2 for white potatoes) and a LOT higher in sugar, whereas white potatoes are higher in starch.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/sweet-potatoes-vs-potatoes-infographic

Note that the infographic comparing a medium-sized tuber of each type is misleading. Gram for gram, white potatoes are less calorically dense. 77 calories in 100g of white potato, 86 in 100g of sweet potato.

I also personally think sweet potatoes taste like wet crayons. So, bro-science aside, I'm going to keep making my Yukon golds and eating them even when I am on a cut.

Specifically white potatoes. I eat baked white and sweet potatoes all of the time
I was under the impression they were nutritious and provided calories that a skinny guy like
me needed.

Why all of the sudden do I see so much hate towards white potatoes? Are they bad for us ?

I think there was a new study that came out that showed correlation between some kind of increased % of heart disease and fried potato/potato-product eaten 1x a week or more. It's the frying of the potato that does it.

Just potatoes are still healthy-ish IIRC

Fuck potatoes.

I prefer baked potato, tuna & some coleslaw

Back