Is this Stipe after losing to JDS?

Stipe fought like a monkey in that gif. Just didn't really execute his gameplan well until the second fight. JDS was a little harder to cut off against the cage and had a slightly better chin when they first fought.

I would say he lost because he kept on backing up against the fence, without perfect ducks and sidesteps that time.

Stipe was probably indeed improved, was pressuring in much smater way.

Stipe fought like a monkey in that gif. Just didn't really execute his gameplan well until the second fight. JDS was a little harder to cut off against the cage and had a slightly better chin when they first fought.

A quote about the first fight, written before the second one was even booked—
That loss did a lot for him in the sense of learning. He came out of that fight and within five minutes of being in the back room he was like, ‘I could beat him tomorrow.’ https://www.fightersonlymag.com/features/strong-style-interview-stipe-miocic/

I don't think you have to even argue about who got better, who got worse. Simply, Stipe had learned what worked and what didn't, so he could retool his gameplan to be more efficient.

Stipe has pointed out before how vitally important both his losses were to his career. To (slightly) paraphrase what he said: the loss to Struve reminded him he was mortal, the loss to JDS reassured him he was elite.

The first was a prospect loss, a needed check. It's all too easy for a young fighter who has been bowling over the competition to assume it'll just continue that way, no worries. Losing to Struve was a brisk slap in the face that woke him up and focused him.

But if the first was a warning, the second was a tantalizing glimpse. It proved he could hang with the best; it seemed to promise that with a little more tinkering, he could BE the best. In that it was even better for him than if he'd won, because it spurred him harder to concentrate on working and improving himself.
Before getting knocked out by Struve, didn't Miocic get eye poked? I can't recall off the top of my head.

... He perfectly ducks under one punch, side steps another strike, and counters on the way out.
JDS' technique is flawless in that gif

JDS lost the 2nd bout because he doesn't have the chin Stipe does (anymore)
He lost because he got the shit kicked out of him.

Lucky punch by JDS in their first fight and it was still close.
Stipe proved to be the better man in their rematch
Lucky punch and lucky stuffed takedowns the whole fight.

Before getting knocked out by Struve, didn't Miocic get eye poked? I can't recall off the top of my head.

Blatant eyepoke, yes. Haters wont admit it though.

More like he didn't execute Cain Velasquez's gameplan which is what he was trying to do. The reality is you had two fighters going the opposite directions in their careers that met on the middle.

He ain't all that good man. Heavyweight just doesn't have much talent, cain would smash him.

Yes. But Stipe doesn't mention that ever, even shut down an interviewer who tried to bring it up as a factor in the fight. He refuses to use it as an excuse.

He ain't all that good man. Heavyweight just doesn't have much talent, cain would smash him.

I love the “he would have” Sherdog guys, this is reality, we are where we are. For example I know plenty studs who should have been stars, but their bodies broke, go to any corner bar and you’ll hear some stories. Stipe has the combination of talent (maybe not the greatest), combined w longevity, maybe genetics and training styles. There’s more to being champ than talent

Back