Is this the biggest upset of all-time in MMA?

Might still be Holm vs Rousey just in terms of the expectations going in.

crazy how unsurprising that result was in hindsight.
A number of people were saying Holm would beat Rousey before she was even in the UFC.

By the betting odds, it probably is. Soku was a relatively unknown beginner who had just lost to an unknown at the time Glover. I still contend GSP/Serra was a bigger upset because everyone knew who Serra was and what he could do and still virtually no one but his family and people who really disliked GSP thought he had a prayer.

Last edited:
GSP vs Serra 1 all the way. UFC Comebacks winner destroys the champ in one round

#2 would probably be unknown Houston Alexander damn near killing The Dean or Mean in the cage

#1 Rockhold vs Bisping 2
Rockhold was -1200 at fight time. Bisping was like +900.

Keep in mind that was a short notice fight where Rockhold had a full camp and Bisping was fresh off a movie set.

As far as betting goes, it is by far. Nog was over a -2000 favorite in that one. Even Ronda was only about -700 in her fight with Holly. GSP was around a -1300 favorite against Serra the first time around.
This is the fight that sort of made the bookies go "o fuck"

Based off the odds, yes Soko/Nog was the biggest upset in the history of MMA.
It probably single handily changed MMA betting lines forever.

And getting his girl lol

Fuck that’s right lol

Radach was 15-1 at the time and Lafever seemingly was a nobody picked from the crowd, although it turned out they had beef over a girl.

Last edited:
Sakuraba with Nino Schembri has to be up there. Serra with GSP is also obviously up there.
Yeah at the time this one is at the top of the list as well.

But my biggest wtf moment was Lil Nog getting Ko’d with one shot, not GSP losing to Serra. A great fighter with a granite chin losing in a blink of an eye to an unknown was just unreal to me at the time.

duck vs aldo

nobody saw that fight ending with 1st punch thrown... 1st lol

Damn... a 2001 and a 2002 account posted on this board.
Well and a few other old accounts. And that noob jeicex.

Massive upset. Didn't he beat Arona before or after this as well? Too bad he completely flopped when he joined the UFC.
tumblr_mu2tbkfRk61ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Yeah at the time this one is at the top of the list as well.

But my biggest wtf moment was Lil Nog getting Ko’d with one shot, not GSP losing to Serra. A great fighter with a granite chin losing in a blink of an eye to an unknown was just unreal to me at the time.

To be fair, Lil Nog did not have the same rep for his chin as his brother. But yeah, and when Sok blasted Arona right after he had a lot of hype behind him. We know what happened.

With GSP, though, things were quite shocking, because he had just destroyed Hughes, had destroyed everyone else, and Serra was well known, smaller, and universally considered inferior. Sok was a huge question mark. It is interesting he had lost to Glover right before, back when Glover was also totally unknown.

Back