Is "Thug" a Racist Word?

Is "Thug" a racist word?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, there are white thugs.

I posted a video last week and the guy referred to black or white thugs.

well that's fine then.

but we both probably know lots of people who reserve "thug" for members of a certain race.

Here is Dave Chappelle talking about Thugs and in this group of thugs is white thugs.

Enjoy.

This thread was started because obviously there's a perceived correlation. If I look on Google for articles about white thugs, I get just as many articles that are about it being an exclusively black word as I do articles that actually are about white criminals where the word thug is used. You telling me it's selection bias without giving me any evidence yourself is the equivalent of you just saying "nuh uh" while shaking your head.
I'm not asserting a correlation. It's not on me to disprove that one exists, but very much the reverse.
The burden of proof is always on the claimant.

What else was he supposed to call these pieces of shit who cowardly attacked this poor kid? Seriously, what word would describe them better? Textbook definition of thugs. This cunt of an aunt is making it an issue to deflect from the actions of the garbage human being that came from her family. The word thug isn't a racist slur, it was perfectly applicable in this situation and many others.
Exactly. A common violent criminal. Thug.

I'm not asserting a correlation. It's not on me to disprove that one exists, but very much the reverse.
The burden of proof is always on the claimant.
Fine, go ahead and close the thread down whIle I go and conduct a peer reviewed study.

If certain groups engage in more thuggish behavior than others, then it's no fucking wonder they've built an association with the word. That tends to happen when members of your peer group tattoo it onto their bodies.

Young thug
Bone thugs
I'm a thug
Thug life
It's already been mentioned, but context is everything. And these are individuals that voluntarily used the word to describe themselves or their behavior. It's different when it's a journalist reporting the facts.

Nope. I refer to big mean dudes as thugs. Like my buddy Luke, he's a thug and he's white as hell.

It's already been mentioned, but context is everything. And these are individuals that voluntarily used the word to describe themselves or their behavior. It's different when it's a journalist reporting the facts.
That is not better

We need a racial draft
Every race gets one word to be offended by and that's it
Choose wisely

seems like a way to try to stop criticism of hoodlums and trash people

well that's fine then.

but we both probably know lots of people who reserve "thug" for members of a certain race.

for sure, but that's an indictment of those people, not the word itself.

seems like a way to try to stop criticism of hoodlums and trash people
No, just asking for the word to be used evenly when it comes to race or not at all. There's plenty of different descriptions for pieces of shit and no one is arguing to stop reporting on criminals.

No, just asking for the word to be used evenly when it comes to race or not at all. There's plenty of different descriptions for pieces of shit and no one is arguing to stop reporting on criminals.

But whatever new word people use will just be called racist too

Like nobody thought thug was racist until people used it to describe Michael brown after it was revealed that he robbed a liquor store and then attacked a cop

But whatever new word people use will just be called racist too

Like nobody thought thug was racist until people used it to describe Michael brown after it was revealed that he robbed a liquor store and then attacked a cop
Because thug became a buzzword that defined a certain kind of criminal. They could use any other word, and as long as they're using it to define all violent criminals, it's all good.

Back