Is Tom Cruise The Biggest Movie Star of All Time?

tom was so good in tropic thunder, i didn't even realize it was him until the credits.
had a neutral view on his acting chops, but that role made me reconsider.

tom was so good in tropic thunder, i didn't even realize it was him until the credits.
His 3 best acting roles are:
1. Magnolia
2. Risky Business
3. Tropic Thunder

that is how I felt bout Brad Pitt til I seen him in True Romance.

and Matt Damon until Dead Pool 2. he stole the whole movie.

Risky Business he was amazing in. Magnolia he was amazing in. Your move.
Rain Man. He was great in Jerry Maguire too as well as the cocky Lt. Kaffee in A Few Good Men and in American Made. There 3 decades of dominance.

Rain Man. He was great in Jerry Maguire too as well as the cocky Lt. Kaffee in A Few Good Men and in American Made. There 3 decades of dominance.
Not trying to be a dick but the three films you listed he was supported by an Oscar winner. That might make him look ok lol.

Edit: For the role they played in the film they co-starred

Samuel Jackson is. He has created more franchises than anyone else.

Jurassic Park
Star Wars
Die Hard
Avengers
XXX
Incredibles

And has great Classics like Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction.

Sam Jackson says yes to every role hes offered. He isnt significant in any of those movies except Pulp Fiction, which he was excellent in.

He was in 3 mins of Goodfellas so I'm not sure how he made that movie significant. It's quite clear you havent seen the film.

Also, he didnt create any of those films or franchises.

that is how I felt bout Brad Pitt til I seen him in True Romance.

and Matt Damon until Dead Pool 2. he stole the whole movie.
Brad Pitt was fucking rubbish in True Romance. I could have read that wrong but hope you're not trying to claim Brad Pitt stole the show that movie?

Sam Jackson says yes to every role hes offered. He isnt significant in any of those movies except Pulp Fiction, which he was excellent in.

He was in 3 mins of Goodfellas so I'm not sure how he made that movie significant. It's quite clear you havent seen the film.

Also, he didnt create any of those films or franchises.

Stacks was the man. I am not sure why you are trying to down play his role. IF he didnt fall asleep, the cop would have never found the van and got fingerprints off of it and cause Jimmy to go on a killing spree. You should rewatch it. Stacks is a key part in Goodfellas.

And I am gonna a have to disagree about you trying to claim he didnt create those Franchises. He makes everyone of them IMO.

Brad Pitt was fucking rubbish in True Romance. I could have read that wrong but hope you're not trying to claim Brad Pitt stole the show that movie?

Brad show what acting without acting is really about in True Romance. He didnt steal the movie but he showed everyone why he is a A-Lister and why Slater wasnt.

Not trying to be a dick but the three films you listed he was supported by an Oscar winner. That might make him look ok lol.

Edit: For the role they played in the film they co-starred
Totally forgot bout them. Tom just has menacing manlet presence that drowns others if they don't step it up. Also, he wasn't Nick Furying it.

Stacks was the man. I am not sure why you are trying to down play his role. IF he didnt fall asleep, the cop would have never found the van and got fingerprints off of it and cause Jimmy to go on a killing spree. You should rewatch it. Stacks is a key part in Goodfellas.

And I am gonna a have to disagree about you trying to claim he didnt create those Franchises. He makes everyone of them IMO.
There are times that I pray that you're not serious.

Tom really did carry Paul Newman in Color of Money but Forest stole the movie.

Significant no. He's had so many big movies, but the latter half of his career has focused on action films, that while highly watchable, arent close to being the best films ever made. The Mission Impossible movies are great and all, but when cinematic history is written they won't stand out, except perhaps the first one. He hasnt put on an Oscar worthy performance in years. He basically plays Tom Cruise. The last memorable role I remember him having is Tropic Thunder.

I would deem Leo's career more significant just on the type of movies and roles he's doing.

Significant no. He's had so many big movies, but the latter half of his career has focused on action films, that while highly watchable, arent close to being the best films ever made. The Mission Impossible movies are great and all, but when cinematic history is written they won't stand out, except perhaps the first one. He hasnt put on an Oscar worthy performance in years. He basically plays Tom Cruise. The last memorable role I remember him having is Tropic Thunder.

I would deem Leo's career more significant just on the type of movies and roles he's doing.
I totally get this. But I think this is Tom just trying to physical things as much as his 50 yr old body can. I have no doubt that he has the acting chops if he does go for the meaty roles when the action phase has ran its course.

I totally get this. But I think this is Tom just trying to physical things as much as his 50 yr old body can. I have no doubt that he has the acting chops if he does go for the meaty roles when the action phase has ran its course.

Tom plays a good lawyer. He should go back to that. The Firm was good. He could play that role.

He's definitely one of them. But what metric do we use to define "big"?

Like I said in the OP, his unprecedented box office success coupled with his longevity. Most actors burn out after awhile or have peaks and troughs, but in over thirty years, audiences have never grown bored or tired of Tom Cruise. Nearly every time out, his movie is one of the best grossing on the market. His combined box office revenue sits somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-11 billion. And that's with him headlining as the main star of the picture 98% of the time.

Don't get me wrong, as a guy I appreciate that he is making these types of movies. It just isn't advancing his career or showing off his acting.

So far many people have come in here with an emphatic NO but provide no support or alternative.

Not saying I agree with Tom Cruise selection but to say he’s not in the top running is ludicrous. I’d also put in Tom Hanks, Harrison Ford, Brad Pitt. But most of those guys fade in and out while Tom is putting out box office hits every 2-3 years.

Yeah I was going to say about this. Lots of emotional responses, lots of shit talking but no real alternatives offered. Even when his movies flop in the US by our standards, he's usually killing it overseas.

Guy just made like the fourth? Mission Impossible and it's already made a shitload of money. The only more recognizable/successful actors on the planet are involved in Marvel movies and without them, most would be nobodies next to him.

For the record I don't even like the dude or his weird ass Church but if I'm not counting out Christians and shit I can't leave him off the list either.

Back