Is Tom Cruise The Biggest Movie Star of All Time?

And we all can agree he is a terrible actor.
Rainman
A few good men
The Firm
Born on the Fourth of July
Jerry Maguire
Collateral
War of the worlds
Oblivion
Edge of tomorrow
The last samurai

No.. We don't all agree he is a terrible actor. He's a good actor.

220px-Terminator1984movieposter.jpg

A worldwide cultural icon to every demographic since 1984

Yes, but he had a little help from God. I believe the ideal male height is 5'5". Well-built, low to the ground, center of gravity, etc. That much, we can all agree on. It's the height our great grandchildren will be. We have that research. It enables Tom to play so many diverse roles and look good doing it. Every inch taller is just a little bit ganglier/uglier on the big screen.

tom cruise.jpg

Rainman
A few good men
The Firm
Born on the Fourth of July
Jerry Maguire
Collateral
War of the worlds
Oblivion
Edge of tomorrow
The last samurai

Exactly, Tom's resume speaks for itself. Don't feed the troll/mental midget.

I'd say yes. There's a few contenders up there with Tom. Nobody has his consistancy or his longevity though. And there was a similar thread about this already with a poll and Tom won easily.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/w...e-star-of-1980-to-the-present.3630923/page-16

People are going off on tangents here and not focusing on the point of the thread.

It's really him and Tom Hanks imo. Not only are the cash machines but They have longevity and their names carry so much weight.

Theyre mega stars even above guys like DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, Wahlberg (who's awful), Smith, etc, etc etc.

I think you could perhaps argue part of the reason for his longevity is that he's not been your typical movie star in terms of being a mainstream celeb, I mean yeah he's obviously had his moments but post Oprah especially has largely just stuck to the films and standard promo work. That means you have much less potential for the public to really get burnt out on him.

In terms of cultural importance? maybe Marilyn Monroe?

Yeah, I think that's a fair assessment. These days nobody seems to cause people to go apeshit with fanboy glee like Tom Cruise. Guys like Arnold were like that in the 80s and 90s but have since fallen off the map. Cruise never fell off the map and is still going strong. The guy is Number One, easily.

His films definitely won’t go down in history as greats
Who's? Tom has been in 5-6 "great" movies. They don't make them anymore so he makes action crap.

Sam Worthington is the star of the biggest movie ever so it has to he him

if you mean the most well-known worldwide, i would say it could possibly be arnold. Who doesnt know him...

I get why his personality puts people off. But he has made good movies that have been hits for longer than anyone else has. From franchises like Mission Impossible, to stand alone like Magnolia and Vanilla Sky, he has also been diverse. He has been around so long he has played a teen in several movies including Risky Business and Taps. Con men, bartenders, lawyers, military men, vampires, agents, rock stars, cops, fathers, husbands, spies, drug runners, pilots, soldiers, senators, race car drivers, doctors.....this dude has done it all.

I believe Tom Cruise is the most consistent moviestar.

Last edited:
Back