Is Tool the Greatest Band In Existence?

BadJuJu707

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
For me, it's between: Tool, Led Zeppelin, and Queen. Who you got?

Technically?
King Crimson, period. Every musician is a virtuoso.

Zep was broad and amazing, marvelous live, from what they say

Personally to be considered every member of a given group has to be a top of the line musician

Technically?
King Crimson, period. Every musician is a virtuoso.

Zep was broad and amazing, marvelous live, from what they say

Personally to be considered every member of a given group has to be a top of the line musician
You know I haven't gotten too into King Crinsom. Are there any songs that you'd suggest? I agree with you when you say they all have to be top of the line, which is why I feel Tool is one of the best. All of them are exceptional at their preferred instruments. Of the main reasons why I hold Tool in higher regard, as opposed to Zeppelin, is because while John Paul Jones is an overlooked and underrated bassist, Justin Chancellor is the far better of the two.
Edit: In your opinion, do you feel as though, there are members of Tool that aren't fantastic at what they do?

Good list, Queen is up there at the top, but there is no greatest band in existence.

Too many great bands to even talk about whittling down the list to just one.

Good list, Queen is up there at the top, but there is no greatest band in existence.

Too many great bands to even talk about whittling down the list to just one.
Do you have a preferred band, or any band (so to say), that is more complete than most others?

Do you have a preferred band, or any band (so to say), that is more complete than most others?
I' not sure what you mean by complete? As in, who's released the best tracks, has the best musicians, has the best overall discography, who's been going strong for decades?

I'd place Sabbath above Tool honestly.

I know Metallica are a band that many like to hate on, I once did, but if you want to talk about greatness, they're up there.

Iron Maiden aswell.

There are many others I'm forgetting, but that's off the top of my head.

I' not sure what you mean by complete? As in, who's released the best tracks, has the best musicians, has the best overall discography, who's been going strong for decades?

I'd place Sabbath above Tool honestly.

I know Metallica are a band that many like to hate on, I once did, but if you want to talk about greatness, they're up there.

Iron Maiden aswell.

There are many others I'm forgetting, but that's off the top
Excellent question. I mean 'complete' as in, bands that all members of the group, are exceptional if not more at their preferred instrument. As a doom/sludge metal fan, myself, I would definitely put Sabbath in that discussion. Dare I say even, Dio/Sabbath. Or Rage Against the Machine.

Excellent question. I mean 'complete' as in, bands that all members of the group, are exceptional if not more at their preferred instrument. As a doom/sludge metal fan, myself, I would definitely put Sabbath in that discussion. Dare I say even, Dio/Sabbath. Or Rage Against the Machine.
I'd have to place Queen at the top for sure then.

All excellent at what they do, Freddie could sing and play the piano quite well, and everyone of them could sing.

Although there are many bands who, every musician is a virtuoso... it's a hard thing to say for certain.

Personally, Sabbath with Dio at the forefront was Sabbath at their strongest. Heaven and Hell is their best album and Dio is probably the greatest singer of all time in my humble opinion.

As a Prog Metal fan, I'd place Dream Theater in there. Recorded James is a great vocalist, but he's the Kirk Hammet of vocalists, always messes up live.

Still, they're all great at hat they do, among the very best. Not a musician alive who can they're much better than any individual member, save LaBrei(sp).

All excellent at what they do, Freddie could sing and play the piano quite well, and everyone of them could sing.

Although there are many bands who, every musician is a virtuoso... it's a hard thing to say for certain.

Personally, Sabbath with Dio at the forefront was Sabbath at their strongest. Heaven and Hell is their best album and Dio is probably the greatest singer of all time in my humble opinion.

As a Prog Metal fan, I'd place Dream Theater in there. Recorded James is a great vocalist, but he's the Kirk Hammet of vocalists, always messes up live.

Still, they're all great at hat they do, among the very best. Not a musician alive who can they're much better than any individual member, save LaBrei(sp).
I can't disagree with you on Queen and Dio Sabbath. All respect to Ozzy but Dio is such a special vocalist. I do think highly of Dream Theater (a band I have been meaning to explore more). Fortunately when I saw Tool live it was an almost flawless performance, granted it was at a fairly large festival.

20181008_165603.jpg
I wish I couldve seen the with Hanneman.

I do own the Reign In Blood live DVD, but that's the closest I'll ever get.
Same here. Jeff was a friggin SHREDDER. My buddy at work gave me this banner from back when he saw them.

I can't disagree with you on Queen and Dio Sabbath. All respect to Ozzy but Dio is such a special vocalist. I do think highly of Dream Theater (a band I have been meaning to explore more). Fortunately when I saw Tool live it was an almost flawless performance, granted it was at a fairly large festival.
Dio was a giant among men when it came to his voice. Ive heard his personality was exceptional aswell. Glenn Hughes speaks highly of him.

Hughes is another one of my favorite vocalists, such a great set of pipes on him.

DT takes some time to get to know well and they're unusual if you're not familiar with Prog, but theyre worth the effort. They have many great albums. They do tend to wank a bit and can take a moment to get to the point, but their overall songs are exceptional. Many choose to focus on the former, but the latter is worth it.

You should check out Symphony X too, they're very proggy, with heavy heavy riffs, blistering solos but a bit of power metal and theatricality thrown in, very epic.

Check out Paradise Lost and V: Mythology Suite, those two are fantastic. Not a bad song on 'em.

Back