Is Tool the Greatest Band In Existence?

Technically?
King Crimson, period. Every musician is a virtuoso.

Zep was broad and amazing, marvelous live, from what they say

Personally to be considered every member of a given group has to be a top of the line musician

Song writing is far more important than being "a top line musician" when it comes to being a great band.

Song writing is far more important than being "a top line musician" when it comes to being a great band.
I disagree.
A lot of shiny happy people loved REM, catchy, whistleable songs.
But dull, dull, dull. As musically challenging to play and listen to as watching paint dry. The aural equivalent of a glass of warm milk.

I want competent musicians to return to popular music -it ain't much to ask.
Taylor Swift is super popular but her music is devoid of content. It's not awful, just for morons who don't want to listen to anything they can't tune out and have on in the background; they don't want to listen, only hear.

It's why popular music is by and large superficial.

I never really got into tool either, although I can appreciate all the weird time signatures and stuff. Although it's much darker, it puts me in me in mind of Discipline-era King Crimson which is some of my favourite music ever.

Tool is terrible repetitive monotonous bullcrap.

Far superior?

That's something a hipster douche would say

Tool has 4 albums. Two of them, Aenema and Lateralus, are really good. King Crimson has 14 creative, diverse, and technically challenging albums which have changed how music is played, influenced the sound of countless bands (including Tool) and has been entertaining fans for almost 50 years. There is no argument when it comes to King Crimson being the superior band especially when you consider they heavily influenced Tool's sound.

Tool isn’t even in the same league as Zep.

Not even in the same league as Queen. OP's got some wires crossed when it comes to processing the music playing through stereo speakers. :)

I would give Tool props for being one of the most efficient rock bands in history, however. Because every one of their songs is essentially a variation on the same song. Pretty impressive.

m96jjd.jpg

For me, it's between: Tool, Led Zeppelin, and Queen. Who you got?

<mma4> YES. Prob the best live rock band of the last 25+ years .

Not even in the same league as Queen. OP's got some wires crossed when it comes to processing the music playing through stereo speakers. :)

I would give Tool props for being one of the most efficient rock bands in history, however. Because every one of their songs is essentially a variation on the same song. Pretty impressive.

Pretty redundant!

m96jjd.jpg

Tool isn’t even in the same league as Zep.

Tool even does Zep songs better than Zep.... But Zep is tremendous.

I'm lucky enough to have seen both but many more Tool shows. Tool with prime Maynard vocals was rediculous. Totally different feel than Zep. Danny Carey is a BEAST.

Seems like alot of anti Tool peeps come out when theyre mentained. Lateralus is in my top 10 albums ever and i still get goosebumps during songs like Schism.

Apparently King Crimson shits on them but i havent really listened to them much. From what i heard nothing blew my mind like Lateralus does. Im not talking about how technical they are. I just want it to sound good. When it comes down to it, Thats what ultimately matters when listening to music.

Tool most definitely isnt the best band ever though. I would have to think a bit on that one.

m96jjd.jpg

King Crimson is far superior. The band started in 1969 and is still kicking ass.

Even TOOL will tell you that they are heavily inspired by KC, but they def have their own sound, and do it with only 4 members. Maynard is a more powerful vocalist, in his prime at least.

Don't sleep on Peter Gabriel era Genesis in terms of Prog rock.

m96jjd.jpg

Seems like alot of anti Tool peeps come out when theyre mentained. Lateralus is in my top 10 albums ever and i still get goosebumps during songs like Schism.

Apparently King Crimson shits on them but i havent really listened to them much. From what i heard nothing blew my mind like Lateralus does. Im not talking about how technical they are. I just want it to sound good. When it comes down to it, Thats what ultimately matters when listening to music.

Tool most definitely isnt the best band ever though. I would have to think a bit on that one.

King Crimson actually toured with them on one leg of one of the Lateralus tour. And they actually collaborated during their set ( TOOL'S set) . So your uninformed comment was invalid.

TOOL's Lateralus tour shows were pretty much the most epic shit ever. The GOAT setlists are from that tour and PRIME voice Maynard.

Last edited:
m96jjd.jpg

Nope. Only heard a few songs by them. I don’t like Otep much either, tho their sound is a bit different than Opeth.

<LikeReally5> Another yella card, huh ?? Pretty sure MJK is mod here on the DL.

281ftpv.jpg
DON'T FUK WITH THE TOOL ARMY, YOU DISGRUNTLED NICKLEBACK FAN. WE'LL MAKE YOUR LIFE A LIVING HELL.

Back