Is Tool the Greatest Band In Existence?

Tool has 4 albums. Two of them, Aenema and Lateralus, are really good. King Crimson has 14 creative, diverse, and technically challenging albums which have changed how music is played, influenced the sound of countless bands (including Tool) and has been entertaining fans for almost 50 years. There is no argument when it comes to King Crimson being the superior band especially when you consider they heavily influenced Tool's sound.

King Gizzard put out five excellent records in 2017.

If were talking pure talent in the band, Id probably say Dream Theatre.

If were talking long term/cross generational/cross genre appeal, Waters/Gilmour era Pink Floyd is hard to top.

m96jjd.jpg

King Crimson actually toured with them on one leg of one of the Lateralus tour. And they actually collaborated during their set ( TOOL'S set) . So your uninformed comment was invalid.

TOOL's Lateralus tour shows were pretty much the most epic shit ever. The GOAT setlists are from that tour and PRIME voice Maynard.

What do you mean my comment was uninformed and invalid?

m96jjd.jpg

I disagree.
A lot of shiny happy people loved REM, catchy, whistleable songs.
But dull, dull, dull. As musically challenging to play and listen to as watching paint dry. The aural equivalent of a glass of warm milk.

I want competent musicians to return to popular music -it ain't much to ask.
Taylor Swift is super popular but her music is devoid of content. It's not awful, just for morons who don't want to listen to anything they can't tune out and have on in the background; they don't want to listen, only hear.

It's why popular music is by and large superficial.

{<doc}Are you trying to say Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor are not competent musicians ??

Adam Jones may not be Robert Fripp, but he has style and tone for days.

m96jjd.jpg

{<doc}Are you trying to say Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor are not competent musicians ??

Adam Jones may not be Robert Fripp, but he has style and tone for days.
Competent, yes.
Special, no. Would I want to play with them, no.

m96jjd.jpg

<LikeReally5> Another yella card, huh ?? Pretty sure MJK is mod here on the DL.

281ftpv.jpg
DON'T FUK WITH THE TOOL ARMY, YOU DISGRUNTLED NICKLEBACK FAN. WE'LL MAKE YOUR LIFE A LIVING HELL.

This is my 1st yellow in about 4 years. I don’t listen to Nickelback either. I stand by what I said about Tool being a terrible monotonous band. They’re vastly overrated by an oddly obsessed fan base. But that’s cool if you dig them. I don’t.

m96jjd.jpg

This is my 1st yellow in about 4 years. I don’t listen to Nickelback either. I stand by what I said about Tool being a terrible monotonous band. They’re vastly overrated by an oddly obsessed fan base. But that’s cool if you dig them. I don’t.

<KingstonFrown>Are you that guy at the Aftershock music festival that was complaining how much he hated Tool and in the same sentence mentioned how he wished Rob Zombie was headlining ??

m96jjd.jpg

<{Heymansnicker}> Lol, at YOU snubbing Danny Carey!!
Technically proficient isn't a snub, it puts them pretty far above any average band musicians.
Still not my thing. I hate the vocalist. I don't like the songs.

I would like almost every band more if they just didn't have a vocalist.
Or if they do, the lyrics have to be at least not stupid. (not towards Tool)

m96jjd.jpg

<KingstonFrown>Are you that guy at the Aftershock music festival that was complaining how much he hated Tool and in the same sentence mentioned how he wished Rob Zombie was headlining ??

Not a Rob Zombie guy either. How many strikes do you need here?

Never could get into Tool. Not dynamic enough and it always felt like there was some pretense I was missing

Tool is definitely the GOAT

@bootsy

Frank Zappa is another musician who constantly gets overlook in the GOAT musician discussion. You had to be a brilliant musician to play with Zappa. Adrian Belew from King Crimson said he learned a lot about theory from playing with Zappa. Belew said that Zappa's rehearsals were grinding and he very demanding as a band leader, but everyone who played with him ended up a better musician.

The only criticism I have of Zappa is that I find his sense of humour to be rather childish at times which distracts from his musical genius.

Last edited by a moderator:
m96jjd.jpg

Not a Rob Zombie guy either. How many strikes do you need here?

<Prem974> You say they repetitive and monotonous but if you know their catalog their is an obvious progression of their sound and feel of their albums.

You have also failed to provide us with what IS the greatest band ??

So let's hear it ...

I really like the song Rattlesnake. The video is badass too.

If you haven’t, check them out live, they are killer.
As for Zappa’s humour, I feel similarly to you, though I could listen to his interviews all day.
The “Roxy “ bluray is a thing of beauty
Aynsley Dunbar turn down King Crimson and Led Zeppelin to play with Zappa instead.

Last edited:
m96jjd.jpg

Tool even does Zep songs better than Zep.... But Zep is tremendous.

I'm lucky enough to have seen both but many more Tool shows. Tool with prime Maynard vocals was rediculous. Totally different feel than Zep. Danny Carey is a BEAST.

The No Quarter cover is so powerful and emotional. Same with H, the "I don't mind" part gets me every time.

Man, I remember listening to Lateralus for weeks on end on my Discman, back when I was at boarding school. Transported me to another world. Saw them live in 2006 as well, great fucking show, even if it was slightly past their prime years. These days I don't listen to Tool as much, it really does command your full attention and concentration, and if you're not up for that you probably wont enjoy it as much.

Pushit, Jimmy, H, No Quarter, Parabol(a), 46 and 2, Lateralus, so many epic songs. Undertow is great too and underrated imo, Flood, Prison Sex and Sober are classics. Even Opiate is fucking kick ass album, albeit different.

Back