Is training 2-3 a month even worth it???

WeazyFBaby

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So previously I have trained BJJ but was always much more into Muay Thai which I did for about 6 years. Now I am a little older, coming up on 30, with a kid and I want to get back into training.

I figured BJJ is a better way to go as it is a little lower impact generally and it is something I think I can do for a longer period of time.

That being said, with my wife, child and work I would probably only be able to train once a week at the most. Probably more like every other week maybe twice a week here or there.

My questions is, is that even worth it to make any sort of progress or get anything out of it?

Why do you want to train? Why not learn to be a better BBQer at home? What is in it for you?

The answer to your question is in the Why you even want to do it. There is a lot of things you can do to make your once a week training well worth it. You can wake up before everyone and get your cardio and strength training so that when you do jiu jitsu you are in great shape. You can grapple on the floor with your kids so you are practicing movements. Even if they are infants you can do simple things to get the movements perfected. And 30 is not old. You are at your fricken peak. But what you tell yourself is your reality.

So previously I have trained BJJ but was always much more into Muay Thai which I did for about 6 years. Now I am a little older, coming up on 30, with a kid and I want to get back into training.

I figured BJJ is a better way to go as it is a little lower impact generally and it is something I think I can do for a longer period of time.

That being said, with my wife, child and work I would probably only be able to train once a week at the most. Probably more like every other week maybe twice a week here or there.

My questions is, is that even worth it to make any sort of progress or get anything out of it?

No

Yeah, it is important to remind yourself you're a man. I'd go.

Besides for the mental need for it, it gives you some context for living a healthier life. A dude who eats right because he wants to have gas for his BJJ is going to have a better chance of being in shape.

I started at 29, but trained 5 to 6 days a week for like 2 years, till my body started to break down.

No, 3 times a month is not worth it if you want to ever get good. 2 to 3 times a week, yes.

Are you going to get good? No. Are you going to get better? Yes. Are you going to be able to apply what you learn? Most likely. If you have fun doing it a couple of times a month, then do it a couple of times a month.

P.s. Ignore the guy that told you to grapple an infant. You should not be grappling infants.

Are you going to get good? No. Are you going to get better? Yes. Are you going to be able to apply what you learn? Most likely. If you have fun doing it a couple of times a month, then do it a couple of times a month.

P.s. Ignore the guy that told you to grapple an infant. You should not be grappling infants.

hes not going to get better, hes not going to be able to apply anything on anyone within a full resistance roll.

Once upon a time some old gracie whose name starts with an R said you have to train twice a week to maintain and at least 3 times a week to get better.

Thankfully for Weazy that is not how learned activities work. If you consistently train something 2-3 times a month you will get better at it albeit much slower than someone who practices more consistently.

Go for it. It will be extremely slow progress compared to guys training 3x per week or more, but it's still worth it.

BTW, I've also switched from Muay Thai to BJJ, and while it is somewhat "lower impact", I find BJJ tougher on my body.

You can increase your progress if you supplement. Watch some videos, do movements on a Mat at home, stretch in front of the TV, and so on. These are things that you can do in fifteen minutes a day.

Depends if you do other stuff to stay in shape (running, strenght and conditionning...)

It would not worth it if you are gassed during half the class

Depends if you do other stuff to stay in shape (running, strenght and conditionning...)

It would not worth it if you are gassed during half the class

How does running and sc would make it worth? If he has time for doing that, he should instead actually go to class.

How does running and sc would make it worth? If he has time for doing that, he should instead actually go to class.

Classes need to get put in the schedule, running and SC can be done when you have time or even from home.

Sometimes I go for a run at 5 AM before work and I assure that there's no classes at this time.

I also have kids who have their own activities and sports to go to and I can understand that it's tough to make time for training

If at least he's in shape he's gonna enjoy is BJJ class more.

You should start with that. Your schedule will change over time. If you really like it you will fit more in.

Classes need to get put in the schedule, running and SC can be done when you have time or even from home.

Sometimes I go for a run at 5 AM before work and I assure that there's no classes at this time.

I also have kids who have their own activities and sports to go to and I can understand that it's tough to make time for training

If at least he's in shape he's gonna enjoy is BJJ class more.

thats a myth bro... I should get in shape to start doing bjj... no, you get in shape by doing bjj... would it help to be in shape? yeah sure, is it that important for someone whos aiming to be a hobbiest? not much. No matter how in shape you are, you are going to gassed the fuck out as long as you dont learn how to roll and relax.

dont get me wrong, running and being in shape overall its awesome, its good for your life, but it doesnt really mean much for bjj... not unless you are a competitor.

Depends on what is your goal. If you want to hang out with people,and enjoy the beauty of jiu jitsu,sure nothing wrong with it.

thats a myth bro... I should get in shape to start doing bjj... no, you get in shape by doing bjj... would it help to be in shape? yeah sure, is it that important for someone whos aiming to be a hobbiest? not much. No matter how in shape you are, you are going to gassed the fuck out as long as you dont learn how to roll and relax.

dont get me wrong, running and being in shape overall its awesome, its good for your life, but it doesnt really mean much for bjj... not unless you are a competitor.

I know that BJJ cardio doesn't equal your overall cardio, but if you train right with a lot of intervals and a lot of bodyweight style training you can set a respectable cardio.

I crosstrain a lot and I have one of the best cardio in my BJJ class. You need to do enough BJJ to learn to relax but I'm sure that my other trainings give me an edge, My recuperation is really good in between rounds and I think that I'm always one of the freshest guy at the end of the class.

But I do BJJ about 3 times a week so I don't know how it would work out for 3 times a month

I know that BJJ cardio doesn't equal your overall cardio, but if you train right with a lot of intervals and a lot of bodyweight style training you can set a respectable cardio.

I crosstrain a lot and I have one of the best cardio in my BJJ class. You need to do enough BJJ to learn to relax but I'm sure that my other trainings give me an edge, My recuperation is really good in between rounds and I think that I'm always one of the freshest guy at the end of the class.

But I do BJJ about 3 times a week so I don't know how it would work out for 3 times a month

the problem is that no amount of cardio training or being the best in shape person in the world is going to help him if hes only doing bjj 3 times a month, thats the point. Would it help? sure some, but not remotely close as to do bjj.

once more, if you are trying to become a killer world champ, you must do as you say, if you want to do bjj as a hobby, focus on doing jiu jitsu is good enough.

Anyone who tells you, you won't get better is talking absolute BS.

You're for sure going to be learning more training one time a week than none.

Back