Is training 2-3 a month even worth it???

I started at 29, but trained 5 to 6 days a week for like 2 years, till my body started to break down.

No, 3 times a month is not worth it if you want to ever get good. 2 to 3 times a week, yes.
I have a different perspective for TS. I'm a little older but I would say the heave been time where 4 to 5 days a week was an option and times where 4 to 5 times a month felt impossible. If TS enjoys it and gets into it he can adapt his time to do more. For example, how much TV do you watch TS? For every 2 hours.of TV you watch you just.missed an opportunity to train. Now if you never start you are.not.missing anything. But.if.you start and like it and keep that in perspective maybe you will train once a week. Then twice a week. If.you are more enjoyable to be around cause.you found some passion. Maye.your wife encourages you to.do it more cause it means when you are home your better to be a round and you are more focused on the family.

I'm going to be encouraging and say 2-3x a month is better than 0x a month.

That said you should set your expectations appropriatly.

I will most likely leave my club with a stripe, maybe two (currently none after 2 years) on my blue belt after 3 years when I transfer becaue my military obligations lead to breaks of several months.

3 times a month is not enough, no matter how much cardio he does, he wont get better and is discouraging, hell end up quiting after 3 months of getting absolutely nothing out of his training.

better stick to Running or some other activity, which will be beneficial for his health as well.

As I said, I know a few people in this situation. They have kids. They get a little better, just not like the people who train 3xa week. They watch videos. Some even do the movements on a mat by themselves (which, before you bash, is a drill style Gui Mendes has used in the kids class). They drill a little after class which helps them. And they enjoy it.

Again, I don't know where your opinion comes from but I've seen it multiple times work out with the students getting slowly better.

It's perfectly reasonable for a hobbyist with kids.

Im about to be 47, told myself I would go at least 2 times a week

All of a sudden I am going 2 a week with MT after, plus 1 time with a friend for 2 hours to drill technique, plus run 2 a week at lunch, and at home its play with kid, do some work on computer, walk by the grappling dummy and practice a move or 2, rinse / repeat. And I watch what I eat more as well.

So yea you should go, and while you are at it make the time for 2 a week as well. Even if maybe 1 of those times is 1 on 1 with a friend practicing and doing grappling drills.

Why not. Some months I go 2x a week. Some months I go 2-3x a month based on my work/family schedule. I do try and drill at home with my kids to help them and I remember.

Every time you go to class, you will have gained more experience and knowledge than when you woke up that morning before class. So even if it's two or three times a month, at the end of the month you are better than the month before. And that's a good thing.

In fact, I think it's good that you set your expectations realistically, versus someone that says they want to go 5x a week, and then burn out after 3 months and you never see them on the mats again. Just ease into it on your own schedule, and most importantly, enjoy the learning process. BJJ can be a lifetime sport or hobby. After you start, you can adjust your expectations accordingly.

Back