• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is USB-C the GOAT USB?

I mean until the next one comes along, yeah

I'm on board. Can't wait to yeet all my Lightning cables.

Apple needs to stop selling their bullshit charger. It's solely a cash grab.

If my phone would connect to it yes. Fuck you piece of shit phone. I hate you-you dirt bag I hope when I discard you you go to the seventh layer of hell for eternity.

Usbc is definitely an upgrade though but I think even that will be replaced in a couple years.

I use apple. I get confused when I get other types of chargers for my headphones.
you're not up to date.

My concern with USB-C is durability, it sure is elegant in it's current form, but it's nothing like USB-A, would be nice if it was a bit more durable. I have some dead USB-C cables, similar to dead lightning cables. I like the idea of lightning cables better, because there is less chance of a dead port, that plug can plug either position as well, but it's even weaker than the port, but easy enough to get a new cable because that is what will break.

USB-C fails to address some of the problems with earlier ports though.

1. It's still just held in by tension so over time your port can get looser then your mom's vag

2. You still have the leverage issue where the connector can be bent up or down and it breaks the port, and now your entire device is fucked harder than your mom's vag

Magnetic connections solve both of those problems. You can buy magnetic charging adapters already but hopefully they start making devices that have them built in.
Apple went away from magsafe, towards USB-C, and in a rare reversal, they went back to magsafe.

#1 is suppose to address #2, I can only speak from anecdote, but I have a broken usb-c cable that sheared off, and the port was in tact. I'm concerned if it shears off and gets stuck inside, due to the sandwich design, it looks like it might be a pain to remove.

Im used to it. The cables vary on dependability. Ive used usb-c for years since im not gey and dont only use iphones.
My ps5 and xbxX use usbc and so does my vape pen! Well see how it goes in 2024..

Eat shit apple..

200.gif

you're not up to date.

My concern with USB-C is durability, it sure is elegant in it's current form, but it's nothing like USB-A, would be nice if it was a bit more durable. I have some dead USB-C cables, similar to dead lightning cables. I like the idea of lightning cables better, because there is less chance of a dead port, that plug can plug either position as well, but it's even weaker than the port, but easy enough to get a new cable because that is what will break.

I've been using those magnetic charging cables on my devices for a couple of years, and I've had great luck.
61vpu5Few-S.jpg

200.gif

I've been using those magnetic charging cables on my devices for a couple of years, and I've had great luck.
61vpu5Few-S.jpg
I'm assuming that's no good for data? darn macbooks are a pain when it comes to hard drive space and ports unless you pay through the nose. I dont recall anything that works good as magsafe for charging (high wattage), downside is that there's zero data, where usb-c is god tier with thunderbolt.

you're not up to date.

That's not a USB-C issue, that's an individual manufacturing issue. There's nothing on a hardware level that makes USB C less durable than A, or even lightning. USB C is by design meant to be more fragile on the male (charger) end than the actual port because it's easier to replace the former.
#1 is suppose to address #2, I can only speak from anecdote, but I have a broken usb-c cable that sheared off, and the port was in tact. I'm concerned if it shears off and gets stuck inside, due to the sandwich design, it looks like it might be a pain to remove.
I actually did the latter dropping a laptop. But the reason Apple switches between USB-C and magsafe is the latter puts out more power. Same reason gaming laptops have barrel plugs still.

That's not a USB-C issue, that's an individual manufacturing issue. There's nothing on a hardware level that makes USB C less durable than A, or even lightning. USB C is by design meant to be more fragile on the male (charger) end than the actual port because it's easier to replace the former.

I actually did the latter dropping a laptop. But the reason Apple switches between USB-C and magsafe is the latter puts out more power. Same reason gaming laptops have barrel plugs still.
USB-A is way bigger and stronger(and that's also it's downfall), the big square side

apple doesnt need more power, the MBA's are well within USB-C specs. if you stress the hell out of it, then it might use 100W? that thing idles at 5W or something ridiculously low (compared to PC's). 60W charging on a macbooks is darn near the max you need, I would not ever compare windows gaming PC's to a macbook, one is a power hog, the other is incredibly efficient.

USB-A is way bigger and stronger(and that's also it's downfall), the big square side
It's not really. USB A was more prone to crush damage due to its size and "hollowness." It also had its contacts in a more vulnerable spot (not as vulnerable as Lightning) than C.
apple doesnt need more power, the MBA's are well within USB-C specs.
Pushing the M2 to its max won't get close to the USB C limit, but keep in mind users frequently charge other devices while using a MBA. Not to mention some of the Magsafes help with fast charge if the battery is low. And finally, magsafe is quite popular with users.

I'm not comparing to Apple silicon to gaming laptops, I'm just pointing out there is a point for both where USB-C has some disadvantages.

I'm just getting accustomed to USB Micro. I still have some items with USB Mini.

Too small for a lot of uses. I'd imagine it can only take tiny ass wire gauges. If there were a full size option sure, but I mean full size usb cabling can only take up to 22 awg with really good plugs (not the typical plugs), so the usb c probably has like 30 awg wire which cannot handle much current and there'd be too much potential crosstalk with everything so close together.

Too small for a lot of uses. I'd imagine it can only take tiny ass wire gauges. If there were a full size option sure, but I mean full size usb cabling can only take up to 22 awg with really good plugs (not the typical plugs), so the usb c probably has like 30 awg wire which cannot handle much current and there'd be too much potential crosstalk with everything so close together.
USB PD charging can handle 240W charging now.

I've had difficulties with my last 3 phones with the USB C ports wearing out and not holding onto the connector very well. One got so bad I had to get a new phone because it wouldn't charge unless the cable was in the perfect position.
Something similar happened with my iPhone X (I know that wasn’t usb c).. But it turned out there was a shit load of dirt and dust that was lodged in the port for the charger. Once that was cleared out I didn’t need to balance my phone perfectly at an angle slightly elevated to get it to hit the right spot…

Back