Is Ward the smartest fighter in the current era(on par with Mayweather)?

Don't mind this list though I'd argue that Ward should be higher up the list. I think he's smarter than JMM. I would also take issue with Rigondeaux being on there at number 6 because he showed no ability to adapt when he fought and lost to Lomachenko. In fact his answer was to quit on his stool.

And despite being my favourite fighter I question Loma as well because he didn't figure out how to beat Salido although he did come close in the final round. I think a lot of his ring smarts come from his dad being his tactician. The way they figured out how to fight and stifle Rigo was amazing.
I think Loma learned a LOT about the pro game from that Salido fight. You think Canelo is the same guy that fought the OTHER Cotto? Both were green when they looked the most vulnerable.

Yeah, but a nickel to a poor kid in the Great Depression is a lot of money "for the revenue he generated [by] comparison." Is Ward's low pay compared to how people favourably perceive him what you are referring to when you say "ridiculous"?
6.5 million base purse for the Kova rematch.

5 million for the first Kova fight.

1.85 million for Barrera.

He's the most boring fighter of his era, for sure.

He's the most boring fighter of his era, for sure.

lol, I actually like Lara and have always been a big fan of Rigondeaux, but talk about throwing rocks in glass houses.

One of them for sure. Ironic this topic is today, I'm taking a second to humble brag a bit - Andre Ward came into the gym I was at today and I got to chop it up with him. Learned a lot, his boxing mind is next level, you can tell he is extremely passionate about the sweet science side of things.

Me & him are the exact same ethnicity too I learned. African American/Irish/Scottish. We talked about Charley Burley a bit since he is also the same ethnicity lol.

But yes, he is one of the smartest fighters of our generation without a doubt. Boxing IQ wise it doesn't get better than him.

I think Loma learned a LOT about the pro game from that Salido fight. You think Canelo is the same guy that fought the OTHER Cotto? Both were green when they looked the most vulnerable.
I don't think he learned that much. I think Loma learned how to deal with nut shots 1)Throw them back and 2) Complain vociferously to the referee. The third thing he learned was that the amateur honour code does not exist in the pro game and people can get away with excessive fouling to unbelievable extents. That didn't take much time to learn, it was more about Lomachenkos approach to the pro game that really needed to change. He needed to drop the honourable amateur boxer ethos and become a pro boxer who's willing to get dirty and complain.

Last edited:
Strange. Bivol has a fight next Sat.

If Bellew beats Haye that will be the fight imo.
Maybe ward wants Bivol afterwards. Ward/Bivol is a much better fight than Ward/Bellew.

6.5 million base purse for the Kova rematch.

5 million for the first Kova fight.

1.85 million for Barrera.

Yeah those are the highs I believe when he was with Roc Nation.

Floyd and BHop for sure are above him. At that point he's certainly in the conversation

Easy fucker lol
You know I like Lara.

But you cant be a Lara and Rigo nuthugger and then call Ward boring lol.

I don't think he learned that much. I think Loma learned how to deal with nut shots 1)Throw them back and 2) Complain vociferously to the referee. The third thing he learned was that the amateur honour code does not exist in the pro game and people can get away with excessive fouling to unbelievable extents. That didn't take much time to learn, it was more about Lomachenkos approach to the pro game that really needed to change. He needed to drop the honourable amateur boxer ethos and become a pro boxer who's willing to get dirty and complain.
I'd call that learning a lot... Oh and complaining doesn't get you anywhere in the ring.

Don't mind this list though I'd argue that Ward should be higher up the list. I think he's smarter than JMM. I would also take issue with Rigondeaux being on there at number 6 because he showed no ability to adapt when he fought and lost to Lomachenko. In fact his answer was to quit on his stool.

And despite being my favourite fighter I question Loma as well because he didn't figure out how to beat Salido although he did come close in the final round. I think a lot of his ring smarts come from his dad being his tactician. The way they figured out how to fight and stifle Rigo was amazing.
I've heard JMM break down fights live as a commentator and things that he's thinking while he's in a fight. He's very impressive in the way he explains what he's seeing and how to make adjustments. I dont now if you speak Spanish but the dude is wicked smart.

I've heard JMM break down fights live as a commentator and things that he's thinking while he's in a fight. He's very impressive in the way he explains what he's seeing and how to make adjustments. I dont now if you speak Spanish but the dude is wicked smart.

Yep good call. Morales is really smart too he just preferred to brawl. If you saw him break Pac down easy in their first fight that was a thing of beauty

I'd call that learning a lot... Oh and complaining doesn't get you anywhere in the ring.
That's not learning a lot imho BUT it's a big change in outlook. A very different approach is needed for the pro ranks.

I'd disagree about complaining. It brings to attention the fouls that are committed so that refs like Laurance Cole can't get away with being 'blind' to really obvious fouls as happened in the bout with Salido. Lomachenko took all the nuts shots without any fuss, BIG mistake. Loma has complained to the ref on many occasions now and the refs always pay attention. Complaining works in the pro ranks.

Back