Is/was Tyson Fury the actual 'Gypsy King' ?

Randlewand

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I thought James Quinn McDonagh was the "King of the Gypsies" in regards to boxing? Or is this term just used freely and can refer to multiple people?

Gypsies don't really have a king as such, they have different groups with different leaders but even those leaders don't have as much authority as the word 'king' implies.

As for Fury, he's an Irish Traveller, he's not even a Gypsy. So it's just hype.

So I guess Tyson can call himself whatever he wants, but he hasn't apparently defeated a long list of fellow travelers in bare knuckle fights.

It's just a boxing nickname. He could call himself Queen Latifah Of The Seven Universes and it would have a similar level of validity.

Yes, actually. Fury is the king and Hamed was the prince. Both are members of the royal family. Also, Tommy Morrison was once the duke.

Gypsies don't really have a king as such, they have different groups with different leaders but even those leaders don't have as much authority as the word 'king' implies.

As for Fury, he's an Irish Traveller, he's not even a Gypsy. So it's just hype.

Weren’t his horses living in the house and he was living in a trailer or something?

I think he can call himself what ever he wants, he's easily the best boxer who came from a traveller background. Unless someone knows as better fighter with traveller heritage?

YES! Everyone fucking knows he's a REAL king, this shit is for real you bastard

So I guess Tyson can call himself whatever he wants, but he hasn't apparently defeated a long list of fellow travelers in bare knuckle fights.
He's afraid of the real Gypsy King
maxresdefault.jpg

I believe McDonagh just fought family feuds and was undefeated, but Bartley Gorman was the last that took a tournament style fight where the winner was declared. They had belts and such back then but the Gypo fight game changed a bit to just settle feuds and fights for cash, family honor. They all call themselves the king tho, the Joyces, McGinleys, McD's, Wards etc. Many are really good fighters too, incredibly hard men. And of course plastic Paddy Bobby Gunn is in on it too as a gimmick.

Back