Banned
Reaction score
hi guys I've finally found a gym to train MMA and this is its timetable:

mondays: 1h MMA, 1h kickboxing
tuesdays: 1h BJJ, 1h wing chun
wednesdays: 1h MMA, 1h kickboxing
thursdays: 1h BJJ, 1h wing chun
fridays: 1h MMA, 1h kickboxing

I have time to go to all of them I'm in pretty good shape. my question is, should I do wing chun 2h a week or use those 2h for strength and conditioning? I don't know what really wing chun is, I think it is a traditional martial arts focused on striking and self defense. anyone can tell me more about this martial art and if it can be useful in MMA?

please no stupid answers.

Well, I would most definitely switch Wing Chun for wrestling classes. Can't believe you have any wrestling at all, or at least basic takedown offense and defense.

You have as much BJJ as Wing Chun?

I don't think Wing Chun is nearly as effective and crucial as BJJ in terms of MMA success, so I would skip Wing Chun and focus on more BJJ/Wrestling.

Well, I would most definitely switch Wing Chun for wrestling classes. Can't believe you have any wrestling at all, or at least basic takedown offense and defense.

You have as much BJJ as Wing Chun?

I don't think Wing Chun is nearly as effective and crucial as BJJ in terms of MMA success, so I would skip Wing Chun and focus on more BJJ/Wrestling.

it is a shame they don't pay attention to wrestling around here. basic wrestling things are included in the three "valetudo" classes per week, but I think it isn't enough.

it is a shame they don't pay attention to wrestling around here. basic wrestling things are included in the three "valetudo" classes per week, but I think it isn't enough.

I would have to agree. If anything, people should be aware of the great success wrestlers are having in MMA at the moment, and put most of the emphasis on that art, instead of Wing Chun, which quite frankly gives you almost zero benefits in MMA. Sure, if you were a wing chun master you could get some success but training it an hour or two a week only studying the basics is not nearly as effective as training wrestling or more bjj. That's my personal opinion anyway, people are welcome to disagree.

for selfdefense, its not that bad.. but there is much better alternatives..

for mma, its kinda useless IMHO

I would have to agree. If anything, people should be aware of the great success wrestlers are having in MMA at the moment, and put most of the emphasis on that art, instead of Wing Chun, which quite frankly gives you almost zero benefits in MMA. Sure, if you were a wing chun master you could get some success but training it an hour or two a week only studying the basics is not nearly as effective as training wrestling or more bjj. That's my personal opinion anyway, people are welcome to disagree.

that's what I thought. I'll do strength and conditioning instead of wing chun.

sound like it is some kung fu school that added some grappling classes to be mma

but yes, wing chung would be useless.

that's what I thought. I'll do strength and conditioning instead of wing chun.

Strength and conditioning is nice, but I would recommend putting in some extra hours on grappling. 2 hours a week for BJJ is not nearly enough. If you can't do so in the gym or take extra classes, just bring a mate and roll on the mat. Even if you don't have teachers just watch videos and instructionals and work on moves and details of those moves. For example, even a beginner knows the basics of a triangle choke but you can work a lot on setups, different grips and positioning to actually be able to slap the choke on.

For instance, if you know basic terminology there are many instructionals made by Draculino, Braulio Estima, Marcelo Garcia, on how to set up your chokes. Werdum has one I have in mind where he shows how to combine the triangle and the armbar in an MMA situation (like the one he used against Fedor). He talks about gripping the right arm with your left, and the left with your right, and push the right arm of your opponent towards his chest whilst pulling his left arm out to be able to isolate the arms and put him in a triangle, while maintaining control of the right arm and transitioning into an armbar. If you watch this instructional, and watch his fight with Fedor, you will notice his submission against Fedor is EXACTLY like the one he describes in said instructional, from the setup to the actual application of the choke.

Well, to make a long story short, even if you can't get an instructor to show you moves, you can easily develop on your own. If you don't have a friend available to roll with you, you can buy grappling dolls which work very well.

if the opportunity cost of wing chun is strength and conditioning, then you should definitely be working your strength and conditioning in that time.

if the opportunity cost of wing chun is strength and conditioning, then you should definitely be working your strength and conditioning in that time.

Sorry for hijacking thread, but let me ask you. What do you think of this bet:

Anderson def. Vitor
Jon Jones def. Ryan Bader
Franklin def. Griffin
Manuelos def. Torres

Put a hundy down at 24,5 times the money. I also had 2 football games in that parlay and I already have those in the bag, just these 4 fights left.

I would pressure test the Wing Chun there and spar with the guys and then decide if you can learn from them or not if it's of no additional cost I would do that then decide.

I spent many years training/teaching Wing Chun and I think you would be better served using those 2 hrs for strength and conditioning if you're goal is getting better at MMA.

To answer your question about whether Wing Chun is useful in MMA.
I would say yes it is if you mean: Are there techniques in Wing Chun that can be used effectively in MMA.
I would say no it is not if you mean: Can a person go into an MMA fight just knowing Wing Chun and be effective.

I think there are lots of elements of Wing Chun that could be successfully implemented into your MMA game.

Check out Alan Orr's videos. I think he has one called Wing Chun for NHB, or something like that.

A lot of what he teaches is effective in MMA sparring I think. The well grounded linear punches are nice, limit broken hands, stretched elbow ligaments and screwed up thumbs. He shows you nice ways to punch with power without sacrificing base or overextending.

I think its very useful, but keep in mind I came to this conclusion from watching a couple of videos, as opposed to taking classes.

Taking Wing Chun classes would probably result in diminishing returns in the long run.

thanks for your contribution, I'm sure your other 61 posts have been as useful as this one.

next time read the fucking thread and if you don't have anything constructive to say, shut the fuck up.

First let me say that I have never practiced Wing Chun, but from what I have seen they don't protect their face when they punch. They do throw a huge volume of linear punches, I'm assuming with the intention of overwhelming an attacker. However, in a fight where both participants are ok with trading punches the one not protecting his face seems like he would get the worst of the exchanges.

from what I have seen they don't protect their face when they punch..

The rear hand kept at the elbow, rather than up protecting the chin, is very common in a lot of Kung Fu styles. It's done so that you're ready to counter being blind sided by having you elbow controlled/grabbed/pushed (such as with an arm drag).

After Bruce punches in the below photo, Yip Man's next move is to push with his right hand to control Bruce's right (punching arm) elbow. Then comes the attack from the blind side.
yim_wingchun%E4%B8%A5%E8%A9%A0%E6%98%A54618467236876e98d8f1.jpg

I personally think it's a bad trade off and would rather keep my hand high and counter the arm drag with grappling technique.

thanks for your contribution, I'm sure your other 61 posts have been as useful as this one.

next time read the fucking thread and if you don't have anything constructive to say, shut the fuck up.

how many mma champs use win chun as their base? in the early days of the ufc you saw lots of those. and every single time they got out struck and got their asses kicked. win chun is only good for the movie cameras.

not to much would switch it out for a more effective use of your time. not to say it couldnt be helpful

Back