Is your country policed fully?

Armbars

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
UK Police have been on a downward spiral for many years, cuts to numbers of police on the street, closure of smaller stations in towns, less people interested in the job as a career choice, too much paperwork to process and too much crime for a already squeezed force.

So it shouldn't come as a surprise that not all crime is investigated fully and the percent of perpetrators being caught and convicted diminishes.

I often look at crime stories of victims who's house as been burgled, a recent one that stuck in my mind was an eye opening post in a facebook community group page where the victims were in the house upstairs sleeping when at 4AM a bang woke up a man who soon realised his home had intruders inside downstairs. He hurried his children in the same room as his wife and took a bat and went downstairs, The man shouting down the stairs as he was ready to meet the criminals must have been enough to scare them off. However, I guess as a scare tactic one of the thief's started smashing things as he left, possibly to make load noise so to scare the owner? who knows! - once the man knew his family were safe he called the police, who asked for an explanation of the events and once they were satisfied the family were safe they informed the man they'd be out when they can to talk with them. the turned up three days later. - How sad?

I read people tales of frustration on local community forums when for example a bike was stolen from the shed, or a builders van has been broken into and all his tools to make a living are gone, and one thing common in all these stories is "the police didn't come out, nothing they can do"

As you can see, UK has issues with low level crime such as theft, criminal damage and even burglary going on without any police response.

With cuts to an already struggling desperate force, was it a good idea to give criminals a green light to go out now and commit low level crime without any fear of being arrested for it?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...go-uninvestigated-in-met-police-spending-cuts

What good is a police force if it cannot protect and serve the people?

What are the police like in your country/city?

In b4 somebody hates on Theresa May.

But in all seriousness, I don't think the UK's issue is the police force per se, it's more the justice system and the punishments (or lack of....) that they dish out. You can get away with petty crimes now because you know you're not going to be sent to jail. Can't really blame people to an extent.

It's an embarrassment really.

But in all seriousness, I don't think the UK's issue is the police force per se, it's more the justice system and the punishments (or lack of....) that they dish out. You can get away with petty crimes now because you know you're not going to be sent to jail. Can't really blame people to an extent.

Yeah, its been a long time coming. Labour was no different, police cuts have been something we've seen here for years.

It’s a joke in Sweden. There have many been major crimes where the police had to drop cases despite having the rapists on camera and the victim informing them of who they were.

This is because there are so many gang shootings that occupies them.

There are also parts in Sweden were there are only one patrol car patrolling areas the size of Denmark.

If you are the victim of a crime, the best way to get the necessary police resources are... spread rumours about vigilantes wanting to avenge the victim. Then they will send cops from all over to protect the criminals.

Such case went down when there was a suspected gang rape of a handicapped woman by asylum seekers on Gotland (island) and the police and media focused on protecting the criminals and attacking the people that protested the crime by labeling them racist.

Approximately only 1,9 % of burglaries are solved.

All of this raises a valid question, given how much taxes Swedes pay and the government fails to live up to its part of the deal, namely a monopoly of violence and protecting the citizens from criminals, when is it right to stop paying taxes?

I would say though, where I disagree slightly, cant go in front of a judge if there's no police arresting you. So although we have a shit justice system, its pretty much irrelevant if no criminals are to being arrested.

The other problem is that our crime statistics are so fudged and manipulated, with many crimes simply being ignored all together, that they are completely meaningless.

Portugal yes. Brazil, hell no. Favelas are like the wild west where criminals armed with real assault rifles, grenades and even rocket launchers roam free, the amazon borders are completely porous and drug smugglers from other latin american countries can cross at will.

The other problem is that our crime statistics are so fudged and manipulated, with many crimes simply being ignored all together, that they are completely meaningless.

Crime statistics in the UK are not worth the ink they're printed on. Highly inaccurate.

All of this raises a valid question, given how much taxes Swedes pay and the government fails to live up to its part of the deal, namely a monopoly of violence and protecting the citizens from criminals, when is it right to stop paying taxes?

Our local council are considering three-weekly bin collections.

If this happens in our area, after the 2nd week(which is when the bins are collected) im putting the bins in my van and emptying them down at the council HQ front door.

Crime statistics in the UK are not worth the ink they're printed on. Highly inaccurate.

It got worse in the 90's when they laughably replaced actual recorded crime with The British Crime Survey for official figures. It's just a brief questionnaire they send out to areas that they know have low crime and then use that to try and con the public into thinking this is a real reflection of the UK as a whole. But even recorded crime itself is totally unreliable so the public has got no chance of ever knowing the true extent of crime in the UK.

But plenty of people are totally oblivious and don't care.

It got worse in the 90's when they laughably replaced actual recorded crime with The British Crime Survey for official figures. It's just a brief questionnaire they send out to areas that they know have low crime and then use that to try and con the public into thinking this is a real reflection of the UK as a whole. But even recorded crime itself is totally unreliable so the public has got no chance of ever knowing the true extent of crime in the UK.

But plenty of people are totally oblivious and don't care.

Its like something out of a TV series.

You get what you pay for , the same people that moan about low police numbers would shit a brick if their taxes went up to pay for it .

You get what you pay for , the same people that moan about low police numbers would shit a brick if their taxes went up to pay for it .

UK tax payers pay more than most other countries, what are you beating on about?

I pay more than £200 per month for council tax alone.

Can you blame them? If your government keeps wasting your money, why would they suddenly spend it properly if you give them a little more.

The problem isn't with how much people give, but rather how the corrupt pigs waste it.

Since you can't have guns to protect your homes build crossbows. :)

Sweden has amongst the highest taxes in the world but we still don’t get proper policing, so I would rather pay less since it’s obvious that that isn’t the crux...

You're the the one bleating mate .

You said "you get what you pay for"

We pay more than most other countries and pay much more than 25 years ago when the police did a much better job, like I said in the OP, the force have been on a downward spiral for many years yet TAX has only ever gone up. Clearly, the issue is not what I pay as a citizen.

UK tax payers pay more than most other countries, what are you beating on about?
I pay more than £200 per month for council tax alone.

Well you could always leave and go to another country if you think it's that bad.

If you're paying over £2400 a year you must be in a house that's worth something (as that has to be one of the top 2 bands you'd have to be in Band H where I am and a Band H would be worth well over £1 mill here) so sell up and go somewhere cheaper that has (in your opinion) a better police force and justice system.

The UK police don't protect and serve either, you've been watching too many US cop shows. The English and Welsh police take an oath to serve the Queen but the Scots and Northern Irish ones don't. None of them are there to protect and serve however.

Well you could always leave and go to another country if you think it's that bad.

If you're paying over £2400 a year you must be in a house that's worth something (as that has to be one of the top 2 bands you'd have to be in Band H where I am and a Band H would be worth well over £1 mill here) so sell up and go somewhere cheaper that has (in your opinion) a better police force and justice system.

The UK police don't protect and serve either, you've been watching too many US cop shows. The English and Welsh police take an oath to serve the Queen but the Scots and Northern Irish ones don't. None of them are there to protect and serve however.

So your solution to people unhappy with their police force dwindling is to move to another country?

Interesting.

I should imagine you'll eventually do a round trip of the world given enough time.

Back