Media ISLAM Makhachev: "The UFC made and canceled Francisco Trinaldo fight on it's own"

How does UFC make fights and cancels them without asking the fighters themselves? This makes zero sense. Is it run by 5th graders?
This has been part of Dana White's hard-balling strategy for a very long time. He likes to corner his fighters into sticky situations by applying media pressure. You either accept it, or they throw you under the bus. Casuals are not hard to convince.

One good example was when Dana booked Gustafsson VS Rogerio Nogueira... then just a couple days later announced that Rogerio had pulled out with an injury, and that Gus would be facing Manuwa.

Back then Manuwa wasn't even top10... and hardly the type of fighter you wanted to see Gus fight after that battle with Jones. But Dana White justified it as a 'replacement fighter' and Gus fans were echoing that all through the forums and social media. "Well, Gus was supposed to face Lil Nog... but Manuwa is an injury replacement so it is all good that Gus would get a very relatively easy track back to another title shot... while Jones was fighting a Glover who was on a monster roll"

Then word came out from Little Nog and his camp who said that Lil Nog was still recovering from back injury, and on top of that, he had a WEDDING to attend in that month where the fight was announced... HIS OWN. Yes, he was getting married and obviously he wasn't going to be in training camp.... and hence never signed any papers.

This is just the kind of nonsense that Dana White uses to run his organization... this is why even a bunch of the top stars are not happy in the UFC.

My god you fucking retards. It's not illegal, jesus christ.

Chael Sonnen explained this -- so much of the business is based on verbal contracts (at first), and verbal contracts are binding. As Chael explained, if the UFC calls you and says we want to make this fight, and you say yes, a button is pushed -- and once that button is pushed, the media machine kicks up. You might sign the contract a week later, but the fight is on.

What probably happened here is that Makhachev probably agreed to fight the guy, and then realized the guy wasn't as highly ranked as he wanted. You can't reneg on a verbal contract, it doesn't matter whether the promoter told you in the past you get a top 10 opponent next. Once you say "yes" you've legally agreed to a contract.

So, in other words, it should be illegal.

How does UFC make fights and cancels them without asking the fighters themselves? This makes zero sense. Is it run by 5th graders?

I'm trying not to get angry ... but sherdog is full of unintelligent people that can't figure out what happened.

I'll give you a hint -- this is what Makhachev said: "I plan to fight somewhere in February against a top 15 opponent, as promised by Dana White"

Still confused? Here's what happened:

Makhachev verbally agreed to the fight. He may not have agreed to it directly, but through his agent. Nonetheless, verbal contracts are binding. Mahkachev then decided that Trinaldo wasn't ranked highly enough, and he probably backed out of the fight. In his mind, he probably felt the UFC violated their "promise" to a highly ranked opponent.

The problem for Mahkachev is that verbal contracts are binding. Once he agrees to a fight, even if it's through his agent, it's legally on. Just because he didn't get Al Iquinta, Dariush, or Hernandez, doesn't mean that he can back out of a fight.

So, in other words, it should be illegal.

NO. Once a fighter verbally agrees to fight, it's on.

It doesn't matter if you turn out to later not like the date, or the opponent. A verbal contract is binding. Unfortunately sometimes the UFC fighters or agents agree to a fight, and then days later change their minds. You cannot do that -- it's illegal. The UFC could sue them for breach of contract if the phone call is recorded.

Can't complain about Hernandez filling in im hype on this guy he will drag down and wear out Trinaldo. 3 fights 3 top ten wins. Sucks for Islam he would have done same thing, imo. Sending a message to Khabib?

This has been part of Dana White's hard-balling strategy for a very long time. He likes to corner his fighters into sticky situations by applying media pressure. You either accept it, or they throw you under the bus. Casuals are not hard to convince.

One good example was when Dana booked Gustafsson VS Rogerio Nogueira... then just a couple days later announced that Rogerio had pulled out with an injury, and that Gus would be facing Manuwa.

Back then Manuwa wasn't even top10... and hardly the type of fighter you wanted to see Gus fight after that battle with Jones. But Dana White justified it as a 'replacement fighter' and Gus fans were echoing that all through the forums and social media. "Well, Gus was supposed to face Lil Nog... but Manuwa is an injury replacement so it is all good that Gus would get a very relatively easy track back to another title shot... while Jones was fighting a Glover who was on a monster roll"

Then word came out from Little Nog and his camp who said that Lil Nog was still recovering from back injury, and on top of that, he had a WEDDING to attend in that month where the fight was announced... HIS OWN. Yes, he was getting married and obviously he wasn't going to be in training camp.... and hence never signed any papers.

This is just the kind of nonsense that Dana White uses to run his organization... this is why even a bunch of the top stars are not happy in the UFC.

Excellently said, and it coincides nicely with what Jose Torres said in an interview published today;

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/11...-flyweight-chance-to-shine-mma-news-interview

Basically, the UFC plays these matchmaking tricks to screw over certain fighters while favoring others, especially ones who are buddies with Mick Maynard, Sean Shelby, and Dana White.

It's absolute bullshit, and one reason I hope the massive anti-trust lawsuit by former UFC fighters and champions is successful.

My god you fucking retards. It's not illegal, jesus christ.

Chael Sonnen explained this -- so much of the business is based on verbal contracts (at first), and verbal contracts are binding. As Chael explained, if the UFC calls you and says we want to make this fight, and you say yes, a button is pushed -- and once that button is pushed, the media machine kicks up. You might sign the contract a week later, but the fight is on.

What probably happened here is that Makhachev probably agreed to fight the guy, and then realized the guy wasn't as highly ranked as he wanted. You can't reneg on a verbal contract, it doesn't matter whether the promoter told you in the past you get a top 10 opponent next. Once you say "yes" you've legally agreed to a contract.
Bro, Wtf are you talking about? Verbal contracts? Until the bout agreement, contract, anything in life is signed it is not official. It would become a he said/ she said situation what are you saying here? If the bout agreement is not signed don't start training because the fight is not on. When Lyoto is asked about a fight his only words to Dana are "Send me the bout agreement."

Excellently said, and it coincides nicely with what Jose Torres said in an interview published today;

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/11...-flyweight-chance-to-shine-mma-news-interview

Basically, the UFC plays these matchmaking tricks to screw over certain fighters while favoring others, especially ones who are buddies with Mick Maynard, Sean Shelby, and Dana White.

It's absolute bullshit, and one reason I hope the massive anti-trust lawsuit by former UFC fighters and champions is successful.
Yup. Agreed.

Was this imaginary verbal contract expressed in Islam's native language? if not then its not legally binding at all..."Contract formation requires mutual assent (offer + acceptance + consideration or a consideration substitute). Mutual assent requires comprehension by both parties. Where one or both parties lack comprehension, no mutual assent is possible, and hence no contract is formed."

UFC has a new policy where they don't have to publicly disclose that a athlete tested positive, unless the fighter is later "convicted" by USADA/athletic commission. We may see more cases where a fighter is pulled from a fight, even though they're not injured.

NO. Once a fighter verbally agrees to fight, it's on.

It doesn't matter if you turn out to later not like the date, or the opponent. A verbal contract is binding. Unfortunately sometimes the UFC fighters or agents agree to a fight, and then days later change their minds. You cannot do that -- it's illegal. The UFC could sue them for breach of contract if the phone call is recorded.

Did they both agree to fight?

I'm trying not to get angry ... but sherdog is full of unintelligent people that can't figure out what happened.

I'll give you a hint -- this is what Makhachev said: "I plan to fight somewhere in February against a top 15 opponent, as promised by Dana White"

Still confused? Here's what happened:

Makhachev verbally agreed to the fight. He may not have agreed to it directly, but through his agent. Nonetheless, verbal contracts are binding. Mahkachev then decided that Trinaldo wasn't ranked highly enough, and he probably backed out of the fight. In his mind, he probably felt the UFC violated their "promise" to a highly ranked opponent.

The problem for Mahkachev is that verbal contracts are binding. Once he agrees to a fight, even if it's through his agent, it's legally on. Just because he didn't get Al Iquinta, Dariush, or Hernandez, doesn't mean that he can back out of a fight.
{<huh}

You call people dumb and just post horseshit made up in your tiny mind with a 40 IQ. People like you are the worst, they think they are smarter than everybody else but in reality they have a peanut for a brain.

{<huh}

You call people dumb and just post horseshit made up in your tiny mind with a 40 IQ. People like you are the worst, they think they are smarter than everybody else but in reality they have a peanut for a brain.

152 IQ but no one's counting. Oh wait, I am.

If you think the UFC just made this fight out of thin air without a verbal agreement from both parties, then you're a deluded little peasant. I get that Dana White is a dick. And you know what, he probably did make an unofficial promise to give Makhachev a legit top 15 opponent. But guess what, that's not legally enforceable!!

99.9% chance Makhachev agreed to the bout, looked up his opponent, and changed his mind. Sorry to burst your bubble.

They’re gonna feed poor Islam to Conor to hype up the biggest rematch in the history of the sport

<21>

If they didn't sign it why was it announced? it makes sense when you change your mind on something verbally agreed but shouldn't be announced until there is a contract signed.

If they didn't sign it why was it announced? it makes sense when you change your mind on something verbally agreed but shouldn't be announced until there is a contract signed.

That's not actually how the law works, though. Oral contracts are binding. If you agree, with witnesses (or on a recorded call) to fight fighter X at event Y on date Z, that's it. There are court precedents for this. Pennzoil made a handshake agreement to purchase Getty Oil, and then Getty Oil broke the agreement and sold to Texaco for more money. Pennzoil sued Texaco (who acquired Getty Oil) based on this oral "handshake" agreement, and won $9 billion dollars.

Chael Sonnen made a video about this. Once you agree to a bout verbally, you cannot go back on your word. The machine starts running and media starts being distributed. For smaller fights this isn't a huge deal, but if this was an event headliner, it could be a major deal.

That's not actually how the law works, though. Oral contracts are binding. If you agree, with witnesses (or on a recorded call) to fight fighter X at event Y on date Z, that's it. There are court precedents for this. Pennzoil made a handshake agreement to purchase Getty Oil, and then Getty Oil broke the agreement and sold to Texaco for more money. Pennzoil sued Texaco (who acquired Getty Oil) based on this oral "handshake" agreement, and won $9 billion dollars.

Chael Sonnen made a video about this. Once you agree to a bout verbally, you cannot go back on your word. The machine starts running and media starts being distributed. For smaller fights this isn't a huge deal, but if this was an event headliner, it could be a major deal.
Does that include the UFC not going back on their word or just the fighters?

Does that include the UFC not going back on their word or just the fighters?

So this is the devil in the details that people have trouble understanding. Let me give you examples:

Case 1: I'm having a beer with a friend short on cash, and I promise to hire him to finish my basement.
Case 2: Same beer, same friend. Only this time I agree to hire him to finish my basement on December 7th-9th, for $10,000. We shake hands on it with a witness.

2 weeks later I back out of my agreement to hire him. In case #1 my promise is not legally enforceable. I'm a scumbag, but I'm protected. In case #2 I am legally liable, as we had clear details and expectations, as well as a witness.

Dana White can promise fighters a "top 10" or "top 15" opponent, but he's not actually legally required to keep that promise, because it's vague and has no details. But if he shakes hands with a fighter to fight at Event Y on date Z for X amount of cash, he is legally obligated to keep that promise. Basically Dana White is a scumbag, but he's not required to keep his promise on a ranked opponent for Makhachev.

So this is the devil in the details that people have trouble understanding. Let me give you examples:

Case 1: I'm having a beer with a friend short on cash, and I promise to hire him to finish my basement.
Case 2: Same beer, same friend. Only this time I agree to hire him to finish my basement on December 7th-9th, for $10,000. We shake hands on it with a witness.

2 weeks later I back out of my agreement to hire him. In case #1 my promise is not legally enforceable. I'm a scumbag, but I'm protected. In case #2 I am legally liable, as we had clear details and expectations, as well as a witness.

Dana White can promise fighters a "top 10" or "top 15" opponent, but he's not actually legally required to keep that promise, because it's vague and has no details. But if he shakes hands with a fighter to fight at Event Y on date Z for X amount of cash, he is legally obligated to keep that promise. Basically Dana White is a scumbag, but he's not required to keep his promise on a ranked opponent for Makhachev.
ok thanks for explaining

ok thanks for explaining

No problem. I mean, I'm realizing that people don't want to believe the law actually works that way.

Plus the UFC are right scumbags, and they treat their fighters like shit. But sadly, these guys are snakes. They're always protected and you're almost never protected.

Now, the UFC would never actually sue Makhachev in court, because they would lose money and further alienate a potential 155 contender. However, I don't like fighters going back on their word. If the fighters want respect, they should honor their agreements and play by the rules.

Back