Islamist extremism caused 84,000 deaths worldwide in 2017, new report says

Son of Jamin

Make MMA Great Again
@Silver
Reaction score
A new report tracking the roots, spread and effects of violent Islamist extremism found that 121 groups that share elements from a common ideology are now operating worldwide. Their activities resulted in the deaths of 84,000 people – nearly 22,000 of them civilians – in 66 countries in 2017, the report found.

In remarks at the Council on Foreign Relations in Washington, DC, former British Prime Minister Tony Blair said on Thursday that Islamist extremism is "global and growing."

"It didn't begin with al Qaeda; nor will it end with the defeat of ISIS," Blair said.

The "Global Extremist Monitor," which was produced by Blair's eponymous non-profit, the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, drew on hundreds of English-language news sources that reported on incidents of violent extremism in 2017. There were a total of 7,841 attacks – an average of 21 per day –in 48 countries, it said, with war-torn Syria topping the list of countries most affected by violent extremism. Overall, Muslims were the most frequent victims of deadly attacks.

Twenty-nine violent Islamist groups were actively engaged in conflict in Syria in 2017, the report said, with ISIS responsible for 44 percent of all attacks. Half of all civilian fatalities recorded globally were documented in Syria.

A separate, recent UN report said there are between 20,000 and 30,000 ISIS fighters still operating across Iraq and Syria, though its self-proclaimed physical caliphate has been all but eliminated.

Blair, who was Britain's prime minister at the time of the September 11 attacks, and under whose leadership the country engaged alongside the U.S. in the Iraq war, called on the international community to rely less on security measures and more on soft power and development initiatives to combat violent extremism.

"Security measures obviously have in many ways been effective and must remain in place," he said. "But the reality is, security alone will only slow the violence."

In a panel discussion following Blair's presentation, counterterrorism and insurgency expert Bruce Hoffman echoed his remarks, saying security, countermeasures and kinetics have "an absolutely vital role," but added, "to actually break the cycle of recruitment and regeneration that is sustaining these groups, you have to target…education, countering the falsehoods, and, of course, building local leadership," Hoffman said.

Fellow panelist Farah Pandith, who served during the Obama administration as the State Department's first-ever special representative to Muslim communities, said action and investment were especially urgent as groups like ISIS broaden their recruitment efforts for operational gain.

"It is not just about young men; it's also about young women," she said. "ISIS and other groups…have understood very smartly that it isn't useful for them to just look at one part of the population; they need to look at everyone."

"So they're looking at men and women, girls and boys," Pandith said.

The report identified 181 female suicide bombers in 2017.

In his call for global commitments, Blair stressed the importance of investment in public and private education systems to promote religious tolerance and literacy.

"The essential thing, in my view, is to deal with the ideology," Blair said, "and not just the violence."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/islami...0-deaths-worldwide-in-2017-a-new-report-says/

Summary
* 84,000 dead, 22,000 of them were civilians.
* 66 countries badly affected
* 21 attacks per day
* Education is the key to promote religious tolerance
* Islamist extremism becomes more progressive, more women blow themselves up
Link to the study
https://institute.global/sites/default/files/inline-files/Global Extremism Monitor 2017.pdf

(Any hint of anti Tony Blairism and TS is gone.)

Seems like a self solving problem considering most of the dead are themselves Muslim.

Seems like a self solving problem considering most of the dead are themselves Muslim.
Valid point but once they become more numerous in non-Muslim majority countries, they will continue their 1400 year old tradition of terror and violence there as well.

Valid point but once they become more numerous in non-Muslim majority countries, they will continue their 1400 year old tradition of terror and violence there as well.

I would think their would be backlash at some point.

Of course I think we both know that won't happen when one side is being armed and supported with intelligence by state actors, and the other gets tear gas and Jack booted thugs.

I would think their would be backlash at some point.

Of course I think we both know that won't happen when one side is being armed and supported with intelligence by state actors, and the other gets tear gas and Jack booted thugs.

There has been backlash, but the people speaking out are immediately being silenced and dismissed as alt-right, racist Islamophobes.

84,000 per year? That would have been a slow day on the eastern front.
Get back to me when those guys can actually put some numbers up.

Pathetic.

Very nice research despite only sourcing English media. The research tells us no doubt, keep the borders closed, educate the people. Than we will have even more countries join in to combat the ideology!

Yea, but I'm sure everyone meant well.

Ok. You have your little stats paper. What's your big plan to defeat Islamic extremism?

Ok. You have your little stats paper. What's your big plan to defeat Islamic extremism?

Keep them isolated in a relatively small area and let them kill each other until they progress out of it or kill themselves off.

Mohammed was basically an asshole who invented a religion to control people and gain as much political power and pussy as possible. Didn't give a shit what happened to his followers after his death, and left no instructions on the line of succession and how the religion should organize itself after his death. A thousand years pass and his followers are still murdering each other up over competing interpretations. This is like one of the most massive fuck-ups in the history of the world.

Keep them isolated in a relatively small area and let them kill each other until they progress out of it or kill themselves off.
Right, let's keep them isolated in a small area composed of 66 countries...

You didn't really think that one through did you?

Pathetic.
I thought something similar. 84,000 deaths across 66 countries where most of those are in Syria(with Nigeria probably not far behind given its massive population and instability) doesn't necessarily suggest an existential global threat.

The problem is more how widespread it is given the fact that its spread across 66 countries. Even though the numbers might not be high that kind of low intensity conflict is not good for economic development or growth of civil society, both of which are needed to reduce this problem in the long run.

Pathetic.
if its not as bad as the biggest war ever, it is not a problem!

As Kafir-Kun said, 84,000 deaths across 66 countries is actually crazy low when you consider that one of those countries is a full on war zone.

I guess the idea behind this thread is that we...shouldn't accept immigrants from any country with muslims? That may be possible for European countries, I dunno, but America genuinely could not function without some of our immigrant groups from countries with muslims.

Or is the point that we should send seal teams around the world to murder terrorists? I'm cool with that.

I guess I'm not sure what we should be discussing.

As Kafir-Kun said, 84,000 deaths across 66 countries is actually crazy low when you consider that one of those countries is a full on war zone.

I guess the idea behind this thread is that we...shouldn't accept immigrants from any country with muslims? That may be possible for European countries, I dunno, but America genuinely could not function without some of our immigrant groups from countries with muslims.

Or is the point that we should send seal teams around the world to murder terrorists? I'm cool with that.

I guess I'm not sure what we should be discussing.
Seems to be TS' point
Could it have been anything else?

But but but Islam is the religion of peace and if you dont love Islam, you’re a racist even though Islam isn’t a race.

Back