Isn't it weird there aren't a bunch of Super Smash Bros. knockoffs?

Headkicktoleg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IMO Super Smash Brothers is one of the most fun games out there. It has a fun unique style and is a ton of fun to play with friends. How is it that there aren't a billion knockoffs?! Sony should obviously have their own and I'd play the shit out of a blizzard smash bro knockoff. I don't even know of a single one to be honest.

It's a recipe for disaster as Sony has come to learn. First, you need a collection of iconic and beloved characters. Something Nintendo has in abundance. Although other publishers have some great characters, you would need a great collection of them to fill a game. I mean UBI would have who? Assassin Creed Characters, Aiden Pearce from Watchdogs, Sam Fisher? Generic soldiers, etc... Boring. Plus Nintendo's fantasy like character lends itself well to the type of fantasy violence gameplay. The other publishers I see that can compete are Disney and Shonen Jump characters.

There are - Brawlhala, Lethal League, Rivals of Aether, etc.

Just no one cares about them really.

I thought Sony did do a knock off that had Kratos and Crash Bandicoot and the like.

With the success of Arc System's Dragonball FighterZ, I feel like a Smash-style DB game could be great. It's just too bad that I can't imagine a developer doing it.

With the finale of DB Super being the Tournament of Power that 1) didn't allow flight and 2) had ring outs, it seems tailor made for that style of game. You could have a monster roster of not just old DB favorites, but the other universes that were introduced as well.

There's one called brawlhalla, and PlayStation all stars or something similar, and a few others that I've seen over the years.

Sony should obviously have their own
playstation-allstars-battle-royale-header-sequel.jpg.optimal.jpg

PS Vita has All Star Battle Royale...

There are a few indie titles like Brawlhalla and of course the failure that is Playstation All Stars. The best games that use the formula do something a bit different like Duck Game, which is like a mix of Smash Brothers and Joust. Gang Beasts has a somewhat similar formula but has these ragdoll physics that makes it quite different as well as true 3-D movement.
A lot of the appeal of Smash is its' cast and copycats can't replicate that, nor do they have the development acumen of Nintendo and Sakurai.

No, because the characters are the hook. Imo the actual fighting isn't very good. That's why none of the other arcadey fighters are as popular.

I'd argue strongly against the fighting not being good. Maybe not as deep as some other fighters (though watching Smash masters is pretty crazy), but if it was all about the characters and the fighting wasn't any good it would not be a big franchise. Nintendo has had mascot games which have not done well like Mario Tennis for the WiiU, and even Wii Music did not do well despite the Wii and Mii names at the time.

It's a recipe for disaster as Sony has come to learn. First, you need a collection of iconic and beloved characters. Something Nintendo has in abundance. Although other publishers have some great characters, you would need a great collection of them to fill a game. I mean UBI would have who? Assassin Creed Characters, Aiden Pearce from Watchdogs, Sam Fisher? Generic soldiers, etc... Boring. Plus Nintendo's fantasy like character lends itself well to the type of fantasy violence gameplay. The other publishers I see that can compete are Disney and Shonen Jump characters.

it would be an excellent Star Wars product though!

For a free game Brawlhalla is super fun, been doing a lot of couch gaming with buddies lately on it

Like the Mario Kart clones that all suck?

Back