Isn't Trump, the evidence that America can become Tyrannical at any moment?

Corey Robin has actually been talking about how feckless Trump is for a while now. When people were calling Trump literally Hitler he was drawing distinctions between the two, and rebutting the notion that Trump is a fascist. Whether that was a politically productive use of his time as a leftist author is a different question, but he's essentially been proven mostly right on this point.

No, Trump is not showing that the USA could become tyrranical at the drop of a hat.

Trump is a hardcore authoritarian (thinks law enforcement should be serving his personal interests, for example), but he's too lazy and stupid to really take over. But I think we are seeing how easy it would be for someone else to topple America. Republicans were perfectly willing to try to steal the election by putting trumped-up charges on their general-election opponent; Republicans in the House have not only helped him cover up corruption, they've actively tried to discredit the investigation into it; Republicans have shown a willingness to switch positions on a dime and ignore news that is unfavorable to the president. I could go on. A more committed, younger, smarter Trump type would have a decent chance to kill democracy.

Trump is a hardcore authoritarian (thinks law enforcement should be serving his personal interests, for example), but he's too lazy and stupid to really take over. But I think we are seeing how easy it would be for someone else to topple America. Republicans were perfectly willing to try to steal the election by putting trumped-up charges on their general-election opponent; Republicans in the House have not only helped him cover up corruption, they've actively tried to discredit the investigation into it; Republicans have shown a willingness to switch positions on a dime and ignore news that is unfavorable to the president. I could go on. A more committed, younger, smarter Trump type would have a decent chance to kill democracy.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/us/politics/video-dnc-trump-rallies.html

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2010/10/democrat_dirty_tricks_a_primer.html

https://danfromsquirrelhill.wordpress.com/2013/08/15/obama-252/

It doesn't really matter what went on in the election so far as Trump's propensity to become authoritarian is concerned: he won the election. You've demonstrated here that the Republicans are unscrupulous, and that Trump has worrying notions about american institutions. And yet he is still quite feckless. Look at the accomplishments that his supporters list. He needed that tax bill that they don't have the votes to fix. He's able to do very little, even with party affiliation or direct control of all three branches.

I think it's demonstrating the tremendous ability for the American system to bend, but not break. In Canada having a majority government is almost like having an autocracy. You can do whatever the hell you want for 4 years, the opposition government need not be there.

It doesn't really matter what went on in the election so far as Trump's propensity to become authoritarian is concerned: he won the election.

It matters because it gives us a sense of where the line is. Ultimately, FBI leadership wasn't willing to go all the way with it, but FBI leadership has changed. If in 2028, President Dana Loesch decides to have the FBI throw Joaquin Castro in jail for playing solitaire at work right before the presidential election, I think we now know that a good portion of the country will be OK with it.

You've demonstrated here that the Republicans are unscrupulous, and that Trump has worrying notions about american institutions. And yet he is still quite feckless. Look at the accomplishments that his supporters list. He needed that tax bill that they don't have the votes to fix. He's able to do very little, even with party affiliation or direct control of all three branches.

I think it's demonstrating the tremendous ability for the American system to bend, but not break. In Canada having a majority government is almost like having an autocracy. You can do whatever the hell you want for 4 years, the opposition government need not be there.

Again, the problem isn't Trump, it's what the GOP is willing to stand behind.

Yes, but sane non deplorables think the solution is at the ballot box first, not grabbing our deer rifles.

no, not even remotely

for reference, the actual literal Nazis burned down their version of Congress (Reichstag) W/IN ONE MONTH OF BEING ELECTED, and then suspended Civil Liberties for undesirables (including gun ownership, what do you know)......

Trump has uh said jokes on twitter?

No. Trump is evidence that Americans will eat up empty rhetoric and is far more divided than they were willing to admit previously. But nothing about Trump is tyrannical.
Im not saying he is a tyrant now...Im saying he has potential to be one and has shown that America can be taken over by a tyrant.

Just look at his fanatical fanbase who makes excuses for him...reminds me of third world dictators.

Just look at the fake news crap, reminds me of third world dictators, who say all ne2s are lies.

The potential is there...I can totally see a president, under the right circumstances and right narrative, taking over and having a good chunk of Americans supporting him.

I just had a conversation with a worker who told me Trump is a russian mole and takes orders from putin. Im from Canada, he brought it up. We talked for a good 15 minutes and it was obvious he wasnt the brightest guy but this just goes to show the reach of the propaganda

Im not saying he is a tyrant now...Im saying he has potential to be one and has shown that America can be taken over by a tyrant.

Just look at his fanatical fanbase who makes excuses for him...reminds me of third world dictators.

Just look at the fake news crap, reminds me of third world dictators, who say all ne2s are lies.

The potential is there...I can totally see a president, under the right circumstances and right narrative, taking over and having a good chunk of Americans supporting him.

He may have solid supporters....

But I'm predicating Trump is going to lose his re-election bid by a historic margin... A margin never seen before by currently sitting President.

At least as long as the Democrats don't put up another Hillary Clinton type.

Tyranny is kind of relative.

I don't think any honest person would deny that Trump would be a horrific tyrant if he had the power to be one. On the other hand, honest people would recognize that people like Obama, Clinton, and even GWB would probably not be horrible tyrants. There are two important factors there, which are the institutions and norms that prevent the possibility of tyranny, and the character of the person with the power. This is why it worries people when norms and institutions are eroded, power to the office is increasing, checks and balances have shifted back in favor of the executive, and the guy at the helm is highly immoral, power-tripping, and ignorant.

We need to repair our norms and institutions, restore legislative checks, and elect a better person to the office. If we fail to do those things, we will move closer to tyranny. This has been a close enough brush with consequences (and it's not over yet) that we should be learning our lesson.

Do you disagree, though?

Think of all that Trump has gotten away with, without losing any support from his base, that we previously thought was a deal breaker.

You don't think that revelation of the Trump era re just how little Americans care about policy/transparency/logical consistency go to show that our institutional guards against tyranny aren't quite as strong as we may have thought?
Trump is'nt intelligent or ruthless enough to ever become a tyrant.

Someone with Trumps morals and Bill Clinton's or Barack Obama's Charisma and intelligence would be very dangerous.

Someone with Trumps morals and Bill Clinton's or Barack Obama's Charisma and intelligence would be very dangerous.

Yeesh.

Trump's unscrupulousness + Clinton's ability to relate to people + Obama's intelligence and charisma + Dick Cheney's ability to smell fear and suck out victims' life force

That's a scary combo.

As opposed to Bill Clinton's morals?

And I disagreed with that position. The potential is not there.

No -- The guy is thinned skinned and a reactionary but he is literally blasted in the media, on social forums and in public to a high degree. A true tyrant would have kill squads roaming the street.

This wouldnt exist in a tyranny

Yeesh.

Trump's unscrupulousness + Clinton's ability to relate to people + Obama's intelligence and charisma + Dick Cheney's ability to smell fear and suck out victims' life force

That's a scary combo.
Indeed it is. Joe Steele by harry turtledove is a pretty good book about the subject.

The dumbest WR thread of the year. Learn more about history and don’t think in such a bubble

Back