Its a shame Oscar Valdez gets 0 exposure

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Young, good looking, very fan friendly world champion, 2x Olympian, from Mexico with fluent English Accent.

He has every potential to be a superstar but nobody knows who he is because of the cards/dates hes placed in.

- Valdez KO's undefeated Rueda (29-0 with 26 KOs) for the belt but was on Crawford vs Postal PPV that no one ordered
- Valdez beats Marriaga in a FOTY contender but was on PPV because HBO didnt want to pay, and was overshadowed by Porter/Berto on Showtime
- Valdez beats Servania in FOTY but got very little viewers because of a really long MLB game that went OT

- Valdez is fighting Scott Quigg in a potential FOTY but will get overshadowed because Mikey Garcia vs Lipinetz got moved to that date on Showtime. Mexican fanbase will be watching Mikey.

You know, I agree. B might be a troll, but he/she does know their ratings data, it was interesting to see just how badly Valdez's career has been managed. I'd like to see him step up against another titlist after the Quigg fight, see if he's real or not.

I'm a big fan, he could definitely use better promotion. You could say his career plateaued a bit in terms of performances, but his fight with Marriaga was a barn-burner, and against a quality contender, and it wasn't talked about too much. The fight against Quigg should help should he win, and then he needs to fight someone like the winner of Mares-LSC. Russel Jr. wouldn't hurt either.

Looking forward to the quigg fight. I have Valdez winning from what I’ve seen of him but Scott ain’t an easy fight for anyone. Hoping for the upset

I think Valdez beats the other titlists in the future, but he needs time to develop. After the Quigg fight he should face one more solid contender, then chase the other titlists down. He has some serious star potential.

You'd think a puncher like him would be talked or hyped up more among the more casual fans. I remember watching Valdez spar as an amateur. Guy is a literal beast. A little too in love with the left hook though.

I think Valdez beats the other titlists in the future, but he needs time to develop. After the Quigg fight he should face one more solid contender, then chase the other titlists down. He has some serious star potential.
Definitely has potential.

I think he can beat Mares, Frampton, and Selby for sure.

Leo Santa and Russell Jr can give him trouble if they box him.

Jojo Diaz (also a 2012 Olympian), whos fighting Gary Russell next, has a win over Valdez in the amateurs but I feel Valdez can beat him in the pros

Definitely has potential.

I think he can beat Mares, Frampton, and Selby for sure.

Leo Santa and Russell Jr can give him trouble if they box him.

Jojo Diaz (also a 2012 Olympian), whos fighting Gary Russell next, has a win over Valdez in the amateurs but I feel Valdez can beat him in the pros
I think Frampton and GRJ are the toughest matchups for him TBH. Frampton is complete enough that he can do a bit of everything to throw Valdez off his rythm, and Russell can go toe to toe with him in a fight that would likely see Valdez trying to pressure him and Russell returning fire. The rest lose IMO. I don't think LSC or Mares can outgun Valdez and Selby, while kind of slick, is lacking in power, Valdez works the body all night and stops him late IMO.

Jojo Diaz is a good fighter but I think he's kinda failed to live up to expectations. I think Valdez beats him soundly.

I think Frampton and GRJ are the toughest matchups for him TBH. Frampton is complete enough that he can do a bit of everything to throw Valdez off his rythm, and Russell can go toe to toe with him in a fight that would likely see Valdez trying to pressure him and Russell returning fire. The rest lose IMO. I don't think LSC or Mares can outgun Valdez and Selby, while kind of slick, is lacking in power, Valdez works the body all night and stops him late IMO.

Jojo Diaz is a good fighter but I think he's kinda failed to live up to expectations. I think Valdez beats him soundly.
Maybe the Frampton that beat Santa. He was up there a few wins away from Top 10 p4p

But then he got a new trainer, failed to make weight, arguably the fight after that against a bum, and is now dealing with a lawsuit against McGuigan

If you are wondering why Valdez vs Quigg was lower than the Vences vs De Leon, its because Mikey Garcia vs Lipinetz started at that time.

Cable Television 2018 (By Fight)
Rank
Date Network Fight Metered Market Rating
03/10/2018 ESPN VENCES vs. DE LEON 0.8
1 03/03/2018 SHOWTIME WILDER vs. ORTIZ 0.8
3 03/10/2018 ESPN VALDEZ vs. QUIGG 0.7
3 01/27/2018 HBO MATTHYSSE vs. KIRAM 0.7
3 03/03/2018 HBO KOVALEV vs. MIKHALKIN 0.7

If you are wondering why Valdez vs Quigg was lower than the Vences vs De Leon, its because Mikey Garcia vs Lipinetz started at that time.

Surpised he stopped eating long enough Keep fat boys stuff out of here. I warned you once

A whole bunch of great fights to make at 126. Valdez deserves better exposure. He has a shot against pretty much anyone but he's by no means a favorite against LSC or Frampton. LSC matured a lot and Frampton can mix it up nicely.

A whole bunch of great fights to make at 126. Valdez deserves better exposure. He has a shot against pretty much anyone but he's by no means a favorite against LSC or Frampton. LSC matured a lot and Frampton can mix it up nicely.
I think he beats LSC, I don't think LSC is winning a dog fight with Oscar and I don't think he has the versatility to avoid one. That said, Oscar still needs to grow, he needs to tighten up his defense (he showed a bit of slickness vs Quigg, but Quigg also doesn't really understand distance that well). Sadly, I have the feeling he won't last long, he seems to get hurt at least once a fight and has some serious wars going on.

I think he beats LSC, I don't think LSC is winning a dog fight with Oscar and I don't think he has the versatility to avoid one. That said, Oscar still needs to grow, he needs to tighten up his defense (he showed a bit of slickness vs Quigg, but Quigg also doesn't really understand distance that well). Sadly, I have the feeling he won't last long, he seems to get hurt at least once a fight and has some serious wars going on.

I think LSC evolved a bit since the first Frampton fight. He doesn't pack a huge punch but he's more accurate than he used to be. I wouldn't mind such a fight anyway.

Anyone find it a bit strange that we can talk about guys like Frampton, Quigg and LSC but no one mentions that none of them wanted to fight Lomachenko when he was at that weight? How good are these guys really when compared with Loma? To me they are second raters.

Anyone find it a bit strange that we can talk about guys like Frampton, Quigg and LSC but no one mentions that none of them wanted to fight Lomachenko when he was at that weight? How good are these guys really when compared with Loma? To me they are second raters.
No shame in being a tier below Loma. They are still very skilled titlists. I wonder how a guy like Valdez would do against Rigondeaux though.

Back