Its amazing how Frankie isn't shot yet

I always looked at Gilbert and Josh being before Frankie it might just be me but up until the first two fights with Penn he just seemed like a decent prospect where the other two where champions already and in Thomson's case fairly burned out. I mean even Jeremy Stephens started fighting before Frankie but what he did in the UFC is hard to compare to.

Gil started earlier but Frankie has actually fought more rounds. He has definitely caught up with Gil as far as mileage and cumulative damage. In fact, I'd say they were about even by the time Gil got to the UFC. Like I said, no one else has fought the number of 5-round fights in Frankei's weight classes.

to me beating someone like Frankie Edgar is like winning a world title. He’s that good. I think him vs Aldo are some of the best fights I’ve ever watched.

Really looking forward to that Ortega fight, it’ll be sick to see if this young contender can overcome this mountain of a man, but we all know what happened to the last young prospect Edgar fought.

He's been fighting for 13 years.

He first won the title in 2010 almost a decade ago.

He has fought everyone from BJ Penn, to Tyson griffin, to Benson.

He has not only fought the best, but he has been in wars like the ones vs Maynard.

So this guy has been fighting for almost a decade and a half, against incredibly tough competition, with wars that would damage lesser fighters for good...and he still is a top 3 guy who consistently has been shutting down young prospects.

I feel some forget how long he has been around and I just want to make this thread to give him props for his longevity in the sport as a top fighter because I don't think he gets enough credit in that regard
Fedor is the only guy who was shot at age 30, and his fanboys want to crown him the GOAT. LOL

I remember the long-standing complaint about Edgar is that he would just go out there and shadow box his way to a decision. And sometimes losing those decisions.

I hope he gets the title and cuts 10 more lbs and takes the BW title too before he is done, one of the best P4P, and could retire as the very best becoming champ in 3 of the very best divisions

I want Frankie to destroy Brian Ortega.
Me too and i like T-city, hope he has a long and amazing career in the UFC. Frankie is just one of those guys I always want to win.

I remember the mendez fight mendez said he does everything better than Frankie and frank was too quick for him great ko

He's about the only Manlet that I truly respect and think is 1 of the top 10 all time fighters

He got dropped by a Stephens headkick but other than that he hasnt been rocked or dropped since moving to 145. Aldo fights were rough, but it didn't look like he too any obvious concussive blows.

WAR Frankie! Tho I wouldn't be too upset if Ortega beats him he is pretty cool. Best case scenario Edgar wins a fun fight and Ortega's stock doesn't drop.

Kid has a incredible heart......if he isn't knocked out cold he won't stop jumping around.

He definitely has slowed though, not a lot.

Longevity is in many cases about how you do your training camps.

My guess would be not much hard sparring for Edgar ,disciplined all year, a lot of drills & light sparring and much less weight cutting which should have helped him a lot over the years to stay competitive.

Maybe a sign for other fighters to rethink their approach.

one of the best ever no doubt.

resume is stacked and hes only lost to 3 people and he shoulda beat bendo one of those fights. not to mention his success at 155 and 145 and his sustained longevity

I remember the long-standing complaint about Edgar is that he would just go out there and shadow box his way to a decision. And sometimes losing those decisions.

I predict Frankie will be working his A level shadow boxing game against Ortega next month.

He has never been stopped either by punches or submission. Pretty damn impressive.

Actually, I agree.

I think he beats Ferg and Khabib.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I love Frankie and think he's great, but he was an undersized LW, and this caused him to struggle against guys like Bendo. Khabib would be the biggest, best and most dangerous grappler he's faced--definitely better than Maynard. Ferg, I don't know. Stylistically, Frankie may have an edge, especially a few years ago. I'm just afraid Frankie's age/wear will catch up with him very soon.

Back