Its amazing how Frankie isn't shot yet

He only would be in major decline and passed his prime if he had fought in pride.

Well he started towards the end of pride so if he had been in pride best years he would be older and passed his prime indeed
It s 2018 y’a know

Well he started towards the end of pride so if he had been in pride best years he would be older and passed his prime indeed
It s 2018 y’a know
No, if he was in pride he would have been passed his prime in 2007 since every pride fighter became passed their prime as soon as they left pride.

extra respect for competing at or close to his natural weight

I wonder if some credit is owed to how they train at Ricardo Almeida BJJ. Eddie Alvarez has had similar longevity.

You're obviously not counting Fedor's extensive career in Sambo, are you?

That's not really comparable to MMA. If we count that, let's count college/Olympic wrestling and even college/pro football for some fighters. Those sports put at least as much wear on fighters as sambo.

He's been fighting for 13 years.

He first won the title in 2010 almost a decade ago.

He has fought everyone from BJ Penn, to Tyson griffin, to Benson.

He has not only fought the best, but he has been in wars like the ones vs Maynard.

So this guy has been fighting for almost a decade and a half, against incredibly tough competition, with wars that would damage lesser fighters for good...and he still is a top 3 guy who consistently has been shutting down young prospects.

I feel some forget how long he has been around and I just want to make this thread to give him props for his longevity in the sport as a top fighter because I don't think he gets enough credit in that regard

Really the only bad war he's been in was the Maynard fight. Most other fights have been technical fights one notch above sparring.

dodge.gif

Cuz he is elusive af...

I made a similar thread after Gilbert Melendez lost to Jereme Stephens, whom Frankie had recently beaten. Gil and Frankie are the same age and have about the same number of fights. In fact, Franklie has been in more 5-round wars than any other LW/FW...yet is still competing at a much higher level than Gilbert, Maynard, Bendo, Josh Thomson or any other LWs of his generation. Amazing durability.

Josh and Gil have been in some crazy wars though. And Josh has been finished before. Frankie rarely gets into slugfests

Anyone would think not cutting a shit load of weight before every fight was beneficial to someone's health.

Edgar really is the fucking man. Technically a brilliant fighter.

I bet not cutting weight if any has too do a lot of endurability.
This is huge and cannot be said enough. Frankie cut virtually no weight at 155 and very little at 145. Big weight cuts reek havoc on your body.

Also, imo frankie's been a clean fighter. I doubt he uses much gear if any. Rampant steroid abuse has severe negative long-term affects.

He's been fighting for 13 years.

He first won the title in 2010 almost a decade ago.

He has fought everyone from BJ Penn, to Tyson griffin, to Benson.

He has not only fought the best, but he has been in wars like the ones vs Maynard.

So this guy has been fighting for almost a decade and a half, against incredibly tough competition, with wars that would damage lesser fighters for good...and he still is a top 3 guy who consistently has been shutting down young prospects.

I feel some forget how long he has been around and I just want to make this thread to give him props for his longevity in the sport as a top fighter because I don't think he gets enough credit in that regard
Edgar is one of the greatest fighters of all time.
A top 10 great for sure.

Really the only bad war he's been in was the Maynard fight. Most other fights have been technical fights one notch above sparring.
Well it was two fights with Maynard, and what, 6 or 7 knockdowns between those 40-plus minutes? That's a lot of wear in tear. And he broke his nose and was clearly hurt in the first Bendo fight.

But yes, after that, he hasn't taken too much damage.

Frankie will go down as one of the best ever by the time he retires

Back