It's squaturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooPlata

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
ITT we celebrate the squat! Are you doing squats today? Tell the rest of us how it went! Are you not doing squats today? Tell us how last week's squats went! What kind of squats do you prefer? Front, overhead, back, low-bar, high-bar? Are you switching soon, or are you sticking with your favorite kind forever? Also post vids, pics or whatever you like.

I'll be back in a couple of hours with today's squat report!

SQUATURDAY, WOO!

hammer-back-squat2-300x199.jpg

I missed Wednesday and Friday workouts this week (Wednesday insanely busy finishing up in Kabul, Friday, tale end of traveling back home to Chiang Mai).

I'll be squatting on Monday (LB back squats), back in my gym in Chiang Mai (with bamboo power rack ((c) Cratos)). Gonna resume my game of extreme patience, micro-loading so that I start making proper progress without losing depth as I add weight.

I squat therefore I am

Jaunty,

What do you do that you work in Kabul and live in Chiang Mai? Sounds awesome, Chiang Mai is where I want to retire. You train at Chay Yai ever? It's my home away from home. Also where is the gym you go to there? You just missed out on water festival eh?

My squats felt like shit this week.

debbie-downer-7.jpg

I love squats so much. They are easily my favorite exercise. I used to squat more weight, but I also found I was not going to parallel either. But I have fixed it. I was watching some of that Rippetoe(sp?) And he was really stressing the hip drive part of the squat. And I have been paying close attention to how I start, and continue,all the way to the top of the lift. And I have found I kind of do the Bill Kazmaier high bar, almost front squat like body position, squats. So my upper body does not move very much throughout the lift. I did experimenting with over head squats. And found it was improving my balance, and helping with my horrible horrible shoulder flexibility.

Just talking about squats made me feel good. Maybe I will throw in a set or two tomorrow just for the hell of it.

Squatting today at Cincinnati Barbell. Hit 290 x 10 last week. Going for 310 x 8 this week.

Jaunty,

What do you do that you work in Kabul and live in Chiang Mai? Sounds awesome, Chiang Mai is where I want to retire. You train at Chay Yai ever? It's my home away from home. Also where is the gym you go to there? You just missed out on water festival eh?

I work with government organizations, helping them to improve how they work. I work for one of the better companies, contract-wise, so I usually work 6 weeks then have 2-3 weeks at home. I settled down in Chiang Mai before I started working in Afghanistan.

I've never actually trained Muay Thai... I'm not wild about training striking stuff for some reason, but I suppose I should give it a try. The gym I use is the hotel gym in the Chiang Mai Orchid, next to Central Kad Suan Gaew. All the equipment is old there, but they have a power rack, three bars and well over 300kg of plates and a great dumbell set. So that is probably about as good a gym as you can expect in Thailand, especially out of BKK.

And yeah, missed Songkran... which I am glad about. I am really over it now.

sounds like a pretty sweet job there bro.

Yeah, it's a good job, but 90% of our work is in pretty tough places. I've been in Afghanistan and Southern Sudan since I started with these guys, and Pakistan is probably next on the list. (Although expat life isn't that bad at all in the big cities in Pakistan.)

Yeah sick. Thanks for the info, I know where that is so will check it out next time I am back. So as not to derail the thread anymore

Fucking easter, my gym was closed! Went to the BJJ gym instead for grappling. But it's not grapplurday, it's squaturday... :icon_cry2

squat stands broke,so i can't back squat :icon_cry2 thank god for front squats and overhead squats though.

I've been having a lot of fun with overhead squats for a couple years now. Since Ive been incorporating more of an olympic style of lifting into my routine I have done less and less heavy squats. More about overhead/one legged/jump squats for me. None today but last time I did OH squats I nailed 245 for 6 or 7. Still trying to work back up to doing my BW.

DE squats and deadlifts for me today. I'm looking forward to these.

Yeah, it's a good job, but 90% of our work is in pretty tough places. I've been in Afghanistan and Southern Sudan since I started with these guys, and Pakistan is probably next on the list. (Although expat life isn't that bad at all in the big cities in Pakistan.)

Never even thought about that. Shit I hope you are makking some good cash to be going to those places.

I changed to high-bar this year. Did low-bar for about 1 1/2 years with decent consistency. I plan to take it slow since I'm doing a lot of running now, so one squat session per week - 3x5. No plans to switch back to LB anytime soon unless I find HB aggravating something.

I love and hate squats very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back