Its that time of year again, Which Sherdogger is going to Yulin Dog Festival

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Its that time of year again, Yulin Dog festival starting JUne 21 or 23

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/0...test+-+Text)&utm_content=Yahoo+Search+Results

Quote from article:

"In 2016, in anticipation of protests, the butchering of dogs in public was officially prohibited -- but the festival “preparations” went underground."

Activists in China can still stop delivery trucks from reaching their destination, and confiscate the cargo if paperwork is not in order.

Celebs like Ricky Gervais have taken up the cause.

"They steal people's pets to torture & eat. What would you do to someone who you caught torturing your dog? I hope you'd stop them somehow," wrote Gervais, whose Twitter picture includes a four-legged friend.

He has called on all his twitter followers to condemn the organizers.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ign-china-dog-meat-festival-article-1.2259866

1. People eating dogs bothers me not a whit. Torturing dogs so that they taste better seems pretty sick.
2. I thought this was same sort of ancient festival, but apparently it started in 2010 or so.

Let me preface this by saying I love dogs, but should westerners really be trying to impose their cultural norms (dogs are pets not food) on other cultures? It’s not like chinese Americans or British Chinese people are engaging in this public torture of dogs in the west? I understand and support Chinese people trying to end a practice they disagree with within their own country.

Cows are considered sacred in many parts of India, should they be so outraged by factory farming of cows in the west that they disrupt the transporting and preparation of cows for food in Britain/Europe/America?

Just because we see Dogs as a privileged animal in the west, doesn’t mean the rest of the world has to conform to our beliefs.

I wonder if we sound to them like how vegans sound to us, when we complain about how they treat their food before they eat it?

Dog meat and lychee seems like an odd combination.
I wonder if they have any recipes which combine them?

Different culture hard to judge.

Also, I lived in china for 6 years, I probably ate dogs.

There’s a reason we find kinship with dogs, we’re emotionally similar in many ways. As odd as it is to say, there’s more “humanity” in dogs than most in the animal kingdom. So it’s easy to see this and wonder if the people doing it are simply less human. It’s what makes the issue bigger than “just a different culture” to most people.

Not that I feel this way, but it’s similar logic to women and Islam(in its extremes). Their beliefs and culture may tell them women are something different, and that may be why they treat them different. But I’m still gonna instinctively react negatively if I see a man beating a woman. It’s a similar logic and accompanying emotional reaction that causes people to view this as a universal wrong that all people should hate.. They see dogs hurt and brutalized and the reaction is instinctive.

Last edited:
It's their country so it's up to the people that live there. Their country their rules.

I'm all for banning anyone that is involved in this practice from ever entering this country in anyway. Our country our rules. Also cutting off money and aid if any.

Let me preface this by saying I love dogs, but should westerners really be trying to impose their cultural norms (dogs are pets not food) on other cultures? It’s not like chinese Americans or British Chinese people are engaging in this public torture of dogs in the west? I understand and support Chinese people trying to end a practice they disagree with within their own country.

Cows are considered sacred in many parts of India, should they be so outraged by factory farming of cows in the west that they disrupt the transporting and preparation of cows for food in Britain/Europe/America?

Just because we see Dogs as a privileged animal in the west, doesn’t mean the rest of the world has to conform to our beliefs.

Different culture. Hard to judge?

The cow analogy is dumb. Hindus dont eat meat at all. Besides that a cow is a herbivore and is a herding animal for farming use.

A dog is a carnivore/omnivore and not an animal to farm. There is a reason why farms for 1000s of years have chickens and cows and even pigs but not cats, dogs and bears lol

Different culture. Hard to judge?

The cow analogy is dumb. Hindus dont eat meat at all. Besides that a cow is a herbivore and is a herding animal for farming use.

A dog is a carnivore/omnivore and not an animal to farm. There is a reason why farms for 1000s of years have chickens and cows and even pigs but not cats, dogs and bears lol

Where did I imply it’s hard to judge them? I said I supported Chinese people who were interested in changing this. I just don’t agree that we westerners should impose our cultural norms on them because we value dogs more than they do.

farms don’t have dogs? Ever heard of sheep dogs? Or The various breeds that herd, what about dogs that hunt vermin (miniature schnauzer, daschund, yorkie etc.,) or dogs who guard livestock from predators?

im ok with forcing my culture on others
For the record

I just want to point out that the main point of this festival is the vendors will torture the animals alive before consuming then. Now before some of you go on and start spouting about some of the conditions of western factory farms, like not enough space, or some feces on the ground, you need to go watch of these Yulin dog festival vids, and then come back and tell me Western factory farms are comparable.

What's the torture?

I don't know, it kind of seems like a moral breakdown. Humans, including Asians, have been using dogs for companions for thousands and thousands of years. These folks seem to have lost sight of some basic humanity. You can tell they haven't had a goodness based faith in a while...

There is some validity to the cow/India analogy, but not enough. Those animals exist in their form from thousands of years of farming. They are not loyal protectors of human masters. They only serve one job for humans; meat.

If they are STRAY dogs, eat them without torturing them. We do, in fact, put a ton of "not too old" dogs to sleep (kill them) in America every day. Hell, it might be better if somebody ate them.. Maybe not. It's not my thing, anyway.

Last edited:
I just want to point out that the main point of this festival is the vendors will torture the animals alive before consuming then. Now before some of you go on and start spouting about some of the conditions of western factory farms, like not enough space, or some feces on the ground, you need to go watch of these Yulin dog festival vids, and then come back and tell me Western factory farms are comparable.
I dont think I will be going to watch any of these vids. That sounds like a great way to put me in a bad mood.

I think we can all agree torturing animals is wrong. I just think us in the west can’t be so high and mighty whilst we have battery farming and cosmetic testing on animals, which can include exposing animals to harmful toxins and chemicals that can cause days/weeks of suffering, all so we can have banal cosmetic products.

Is battery farming as bad as this Yulin festival? I don’t think so. But poisoning animals and inducing seizures on them until they die seems just as horrific.

I have a vegan friend that once said to me:

If I were to eat meat, I would exclusively eat such foods that other people, based simply on emotions and some irrational whim disregard as food, while at the same time supporting industrial animal farming.

Eagle fillet
Spaghetti and seal cub meat sauce
Dolphin soup
Cat meat pie
Hot dogs with 100% dog meat

I think we can all agree torturing animals is wrong. I just think us in the west can’t be so high and mighty whilst we have battery farming and cosmetic testing on animals, which can include exposing animals to harmful toxins and chemicals that can cause days/weeks of suffering, all so we can have banal cosmetic products.

Is battery farming as bad as this Yulin festival? I don’t think so. But poisoning animals and inducing seizures on them until they die seems just as horrific.

We at least put the animals we test on as fast as we can. We dont prolong suffering to them. We do everything we can to make them as comfortable as we can before and after.

In Yulin, they just torture the crap out of them. It is simply another level of sadism.

We at least put the animals we test on as fast as we can. We dont prolong suffering to them. We do everything we can to make them as comfortable as we can before and after.

In Yulin, they just torture the crap out of them. It is simply another level of sadism.
I appreciate your optimistic outlook. Hope you never lose it.

Do we? What about force feeding animals until they die, usually a slow painful death. Is that making them as comfortable as possible?

Back