Its that time of year again, Which Sherdogger is going to Yulin Dog Festival

Different culture doesn’t mean you can skin raccoon dogs alive and let them drip while twitching and suffering...

I swear I would strangle those Chinese bastards to death.

Do we? What about force feeding animals until they die, usually a slow painful death. Is that making them as comfortable as possible?

Are you talking about foie grae? I still say beating, burning, skinning alive, boiling alive, and crucifying is still worse than feeding an animal lots of food.

Different culture doesn’t mean you can skin raccoon dogs alive and let them drip while twitching and suffering...

Guess we ought to deliver some freedom and democracy.

1. People eating dogs bothers me not a whit. Torturing dogs so that they taste better seems pretty sick.
2. I thought this was same sort of ancient festival, but apparently it started in 2010 or so.
I dont buy the torture stuff.

unless you've got proof that it's a widespread problem, I'm calling it fake news.

butchering animals != torture.

Are you talking about foie grae? I still say beating, burning, skinning alive, boiling alive, and crucifying is still worse than feeding an animal lots of food.

No I’m not, I’m talking about the methods of lab testing on animals for cosmetic and household products.

Different culture. Hard to judge?

The cow analogy is dumb. Hindus dont eat meat at all. Besides that a cow is a herbivore and is a herding animal for farming use.

A dog is a carnivore/omnivore and not an animal to farm. There is a reason why farms for 1000s of years have chickens and cows and even pigs but not cats, dogs and bears lol

once you get past all the hair splitting, its just meat.

im not comfortable with it. i love dogs. but i recognize that this is a cultural thing. hindus think cows are unique animals. the life givers, and they anthropomorphize them just like we do with dogs. how would i react to one of their cow vigilante squads operating in america? id be pissed. i think eating dogs is weird and cruel, but if id grown up in many parts of the world....i would not.

Guess we ought to deliver some freedom and democracy.
freedom-truck_o_1630561.jpg

im not comfortable with it. i love dogs. but i recognize that this is a cultural thing. hindus think cows are unique animals. the life givers, and they anthropomorphize them just like we do with dogs. how would i react to one of their cow vigilante squads operating in america? id be pissed. i think eating dogs is weird and cruel, but if id grown up in many parts of the world....i would not.
Steven Rinella has eaten dog, coyote, and monkey meat in some of his travels around the world (he has a hunting show called Meat Eater) and he said he tries everything at least once but he'd probably never eat dog or monkey again. Dog because he didn't like the taste/texture and monkey because of how similar they are to humans freaked him out.

Different culture hard to judge.

Also, I lived in china for 6 years, I probably ate dogs.
I have a vegan friend that once said to me:

If I were to eat meat, I would exclusively eat such foods that other people, based simply on emotions and some irrational whim disregard as food, while at the same time supporting industrial animal farming.

Eagle fillet
Spaghetti and seal cub meat sauce
Dolphin soup
Cat meat pie
Hot dogs with 100% dog meat

Lol @ being friends with a vegan...

I get it. Its just moral relativism to you but you know its true that the animals humans eat are either fish/birds/herding animals. We usually dont eat carnivores and omnivores and there is a reason for that. This is why we raise eyebrows if someone ate a lion, bear or dog.

I get it. Its just moral relativism to you but you know its true that the animals humans eat are either fish/birds/herding animals. We usually dont eat carnivores and omnivores and there is a reason for that. This is why we raise eyebrows if someone ate a lion, bear or dog.

Pork seems pretty popular. Turtle is less common, but popular enough (used to be much more so). Crocodiles are good eating.
I don't think your hypothesis pans out.

Pork seems pretty popular. Turtle is less common, but popular enough (used to be much more so). Crocodiles are good eating.
I don't think your hypothesis pans out.

it definitely pans out. The vast majority of animals we eat are herbivores or birds. "Popular" is a relative term. Otherwise wolf meat would be very popular all over the world and we would be having wolf sandwiches.

im ok with forcing my culture on others
For the record

I like the self-awareness. Everyone is willing to force their culture on others and we do it all the time. We think we don't do this because we pick and choose a few elements of cultures different than our own to tolerate.

it definitely pans out. The vast majority of animals we eat are herbivores or birds. "Popular" is a relative term. Otherwise wolf meat would be very popular all over the world and we would be having wolf sandwiches.

The majority of animals we eat or herbivores because it makes feeding them easier on a larger agricultural scale. But there are obvious and plentiful exceptions to this; which makes it hard to set up as some sort of moral principle.

No problem with eating dogs. I’ll bag me a coyote or wolf and cook him up soon, same shit.

I’m anti-torture though, I wouldn’t give a cent to anyone if I was aware they were torturing the animal they were trying to sell me.

I like the self-awareness. Everyone is willing to force their culture on others and we do it all the time. We think we don't do this because we pick and choose a few elements of cultures different than our own to tolerate.

Im not an alt righter or a proud boy but when Gavin mcinnes speaks on being a western chauvinist I tend to agree with him. I think western culture is better and I dont think too highly of people that eat dogs. People can say what about the cows and the chickens all day long and i wont give a shit and will still find eating dogs immoral. Im ok with people thinking that makes my a hypocrite

The majority of animals we eat or herbivores because it makes feeding them easier on a larger agricultural scale. But there are obvious and plentiful exceptions to this; which makes it hard to set up as some sort of moral principle.

No it makes it easier. Eating dog when theres plenty of chicken and beef and other meat to go around is pretentious and decadent and repulsive.

You would do nothing of the sort now sit your ass back down and be quiet.

I'm a vegetarian so no guilt trip for me

<Gordonhat>

Back